Best Original Score Tony Race!

directorkid Profile Photo
directorkid
#0Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 8:28am

I think the Tony race for Best Original Score will come down to Stephen Schwartz for Wicked and Jeanie Tesori for Caroline, or Change. I personally feel Stephen Schwartz is due, he has never won a Tony despite his AMAZING work in such shows as Pippin, Godspell, and Workin, and think he will win. What do you guys think?

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#1re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 8:54am

Avenue Q is gonna get nominated for Best Score.
But I think Wicked will win.

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#2re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 9:12am

I was thinking Caroline or Change for Best Score. As much as I want Avenue Q to win best musical, I think Wicked will win that.

"They hear drums. We hear music."

StraightToHeaven
#3re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 9:29am

I personally love Wicked's score but I it was not well received so I don't think it will win.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#4re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 9:59am

I do like Schwartz, so I hope Wicked wins this year

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#5re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 10:11am

I haven't heard any of the music from "Caroline..." so if it was betweem Avenue Q and Wicked, I'd definitely say Avenue Q. The score is more funny than melodious with great lyrics. They take basci rhythms from kids shows and add hysterically funny lyrics; I don't think its worthy of a Tony for best score.

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#6re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 10:35am

I really hope WICKED wins, because I think Stephen Swartz really deserves a Tony. I'm such a huge fan of all his works, and I think this is going to be his year.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#7re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 12:15pm

wasn't the "taboo" score perceived really well? i think that might win. the critics weren't wild about the "wicked" score.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#8re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 12:26pm

Yeah, I'm not so keen on Wicked winning for best score...most critics seemed to appreciate the talent more than the writing. The score is one of the weakest points of the show. I think Avenue Q's score is clever...so MAYBE it'll win, but I think it's very up in the air.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

GirlfriendFromCanada
#9re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 12:29pm

I think the Taboo score is actually very strong. Probably stronger than the Wicked score, IMO. I don't know the music for Caroline or Change, but I wouldn't count out Taboo getting a nod for Best Score. Avenue Q has a pretty strong chance, it seems, but I don't know, I'd still personally choose Taboo over it.

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#10re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 12:34pm

But most of the Taboo-score is based on are old Boy George songs...surely thet cannot be nominated as Original...cause it's not! Don't get me wrong...love the musicre: Best Original Score Tony Race!

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#11re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 12:36pm

Wicked does not deserve and most likely will not win the best score tony. Its music is all over the place, sometimes poppy, sometimes dreary, and too often overly bland and unmemorable. Though I regretfully havent seen Caroline or Change, i think the real race here will come down to Ave. Q versus Taboo. Taboo has been making a strong push in recent weeks and judging by its predicted award nominations, I feel this is the best category its chances are in. So here's to wishing Taboo or Ave Q great tony success, rather than the lets-have-gigantic-technical-effects-to-make-up-for-a-bad-score-and-book musical, Wicked. In terms of tourist popularity, and overall appeal Wicked has already won. Now lets give some tonys to the shows that are actually changing the face of musical theatre today.

EVGIRL
#12re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 12:39pm

Which one wins depends on what they are looking for in a score. (As a correction, most of the Taboo songs aren't old songs, only a few are.) The songs in Taboo are better as pop songs and more memorable, but they don't really move the plot along; whereas Avenue Q and Wicked don't have as many memorable songs, but move the plot along better.

GirlfriendFromCanada
#13re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 12:54pm

But most of the Taboo-score is based on are old Boy George songs...surely thet cannot be nominated as Original...cause it's not! Don't get me wrong...love the music

Actually, most of the songs ARE original. There are only three old Boy George songs in the show, all come at the point where George is getting big (thus singing those songs). Everything else was written for the show. I agree with the person who said they don't really move the plot along though, that's pretty true. They do kind of stand on their own fairly well, but I still think they deserve a nod.

Plum
#14re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 1:29pm

Wicked shouldn't win Best Score just because Stephen Schwartz is "due." He isn't owed anything- he has to earn his awards just like everyone else. I realize I'm sounding like a broken record, but I was seriously disappointed by the score of Wicked. Let Schwartz win when he puts out better work.

The score of Avenue Q is adorable, clever, and fun, but I think voters will find it too simplistic to give it the top prize. Bombay Dreams' score got mixed reviews. So that leaves Caroline or Taboo. I really wouldn't have object to either of those two winning. Updated On: 5/9/04 at 01:29 PM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#15re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 2:07pm

Wicked won't win score. It's gonan come down to Avenue Q and Caroline, or Change.
Descriptions of scores:
Taboo: Pretty good, but the show closed and it got a horrendous rep. doesn't run smoothly with tony voters

Caroline..:Very good. I saw it and it has some wonderful moments. Personally, it was a little slow in the beginning but then it picks up, and then SOARS! May come down to this one.

Avenue Q: Incredible score all the way through. Much like The Producers, where the lyrics are more the strongest than the simple melodies.

Wicked:Pretty good score. Where the lyrics are so-so, it makes up in melody, and visa-verse. But again, not so well received and Tony voters, unfortunately, always keep that in mind. also, styles of music are all over the place because of the way the character is feeling.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 5/9/04 at 02:07 PM

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#16re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 2:41pm

I don't know why so many dislike the music from WICKED. "Bland and unmemorable"? There are so many great songs. Sure the lyrics are only okay, but the melodies are so solid and memorable.

For example:
The Wizard and I
Dancing Through Life
Popular
I'm Not That Girl
Defying Gravity
Thank Goodness
Wonderful
For Good (IMHO, the best song in the show. Sooo beautiful.)

I'm not very partial to "No One Mourns the Wicked" and "As Long as Your Mine", but you get my drift.

Matt_G Profile Photo
Matt_G
#17re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 2:47pm

I honestly did not like WICKED the first time I saw it. The only song I could even remember a line from afterwards was "Popular". I've seen it twice more since than (kind of forced to) and this last time I really enjoyed it! I thought there was a lot of really beautiful music in it which really hadn't clicked with me before. But I can completely understand people saying how it is unmemorable. Sadly though, most of them won't go see it again before voting.

I do think this year it will go to CAROLINE. It's such a gorgeous production.

"Noah, someday we'll talk again. But there's things we'll never say. That sorrow deep inside you. It inside me, too. And it never go away. You be okay. You'll learn how to lose things..."

LC
#18re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 3:01pm

" "But most of the Taboo-score is based on are old Boy George songs...surely thet cannot be nominated as Original...cause it's not! Don't get me wrong...love the music"

Actually, most of the songs ARE original. There are only three old Boy George songs in the show, all come at the point where George is getting big (thus singing those songs). Everything else was written for the show. I agree with the person who said they don't really move the plot along though, that's pretty true. They do kind of stand on their own fairly well, but I still think they deserve a nod. "

Yes, about 2 thirds of the score is original, in fact, 4 of the songs were even written during the Broadway rehearsal period! The Tony commitee already announced a while ago that it is eligible for a Best Original Score nomination.

deeisadiva Profile Photo
deeisadiva
#19re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 3:07pm

Okay I think that Wicked is a lock for the award. It's an amazing show, it's well recieved, and the music is part of what moves the show along so much. It has beautiful music that makes you cry...it's only competition (as far as I see) is Avenue Q...amazing show, there's really not that much bad you could possibly say about it.

Sunfish
#20re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 4:57pm

"There are only three old Boy George songs in the show, all come at the point where George is getting big (thus singing those songs). Everything else was written for the show. I agree with the person who said they don't really move the plot along though, that's pretty true."

I think the songs in Taboo work beautifully in context. They describe the thoughts and feelings of the characters at that moment in time. "Stranger in This World" is a beautiful and ethereal introduction to young Boy George....I think without it we would not develop the empathy for this character. "Love is a Question Mark" illustrates the love and devotion and yes, ambivalence of the individuals in each set of couples. It is an important moment in the story. If you look at each song carefully in it's moment, you will see it's relevance.

This will all be a lot easier to do, however, WHEN THE CAST RECORDING IS RELEASED. Only crazed multiple-returnees would remember enough of the show to make these observations. re: Best Original Score Tony Race!

In spite of the in-your-face costumes and subject matter (which is not all that threatening, regardless of what the general public thought) it is really a very subtle and beautiful piece.

That said, I know it doesn't have much hope of many nominations or wins, but I think the score is far stronger than Wicked, which I forget immediately DURING the show as it moved on to the next number. I expected to like Wicked the best of my "See-As-Many-Shows-As-I-Can-Week-In-NY" and I was terribly disappointed. The sets and effects were fabulous, I know the performers were great, but I just never connected with them because what was coming out of their mouths just did not engage me, pull me in.

I haven't seen Caroline, so I cannot comment, and I enjoyed Avenue Q, although I think the lyrics were more memorable than the score. I would be disappointed if they won over Taboo, but frankly I would be outraged if Wicked won over any of them.

So that is likely what will happen. I definitely dance to the beat of a different drummer......

Plum
#21re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 5:02pm

broadway86- My opinion of each score is strictly subjective, of course. That's why it's an opinion, just like every other post here. :) I'm just hoping the Tony voters' opinions line up with mine. (Fat chance, but I can always dream...)

Mattio98
#22re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 5:24pm

While I'm very fond of the Wicked score, there are several things that may prevent it from winning:

1) It's not quite an original score, it's more of a Stephen Schwartz revue. If you listen to some other Schwartz scores, you'll find a lot of music that's very similar to the Wicked music. In fact, I believe that one of the main themes in Wicked is taken from the title song in "Rags", a show which Schwartz wrote the lyrics for.

2) As many of the other posters have pointed out, the score was not very well received by the critics.

3) One reason the score is so good is that there are some fantastic performers singing it. Think about it: Without Chenoweth, how good is Popular?

GirlfriendFromCanada
#23re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 5:26pm

I feel as thought I should state that I certainly see the score's relevance, and I feel that it compliments the plot and works well in context. My observation (or more agreeing with another observation) is that the songs work well on their own, and sometimes can feel like they were placed into the story to emphasis certain thoughts and feelings. Not that this is a bad thing, as it's what the songs should do, but it doesn't have as natural of a flow as some scores tend to.

BroadwayPer4mer03
#24re: Best Original Score Tony Race!
Posted: 5/9/04 at 8:35pm

The race is between Avenue Q and Wicked but Wicked will win.

Videos