Best Phantom

Theatre_Lover Profile Photo
Theatre_Lover
#0Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 7:08pm

I have never seen the real thing (my best friend "put it on" in her basement last summer, which was good for a basement run Best Phantom and I was wondering who everyone thought the best Phantom was, recorded or not. I personally hate Micheal Crawford -- he's voice drives me nuts! I love love love Colm Wilkenson's version, and Anthony Warlow is pretty awesome too, although Colm is totally my fav! No one can sing like him.

I've heard Brad Little was excellent -- best friend saw him.

Opinons?

Greens, greens, and nothing but greens! Parsley, peppers, cabbages, and celery!

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#1re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 7:14pm

Ooh let's see. I really dislike Colm on the Canadian recording. He'll always be Valjean in my mind, but his voice as the Phantom strikes me as wrong. As far as the best singer to play the role, easily Anthony Warlow. But for the best Phantom in overall performance:

FRANC D'AMBROSIO- cornerstone of the San Francisco production and longest running Phantom ever

A close 2nd would be his predecessor- DAVIS GAINES

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Theatre_Lover Profile Photo
Theatre_Lover
#2re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 7:16pm

I know a lot of people who think that about Colm as Phantom. I just love it when he says "Make your choice" -- sends chills up and down my spine!

Greens, greens, and nothing but greens! Parsley, peppers, cabbages, and celery!

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#3re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 7:21pm

I think Michael Crawford IS the Phantom. He played the part for years on Broadway and in London and is amazing on the CD. Is the the best? i dont know. To me he embodies the character. I saw Hugh Panaro recently and loved him in the part.

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#4re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 7:24pm

I like Yeston's Phantom best.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

Juliette Capulet
#5re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 7:26pm

Michael Crawford and Brad Little are tied for me.

Tendres Baisers,
Juliette Capulet

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#6re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 7:26pm

I think Michael Crawford, and that's just from what I heard on the recording. Otherwise, Howard McGillin---he was pretty amazing.

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#7re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 7:31pm

If you watch that PBS thing ( i think it was called "broadway's greatest love songs - correct me if im wrong) Michael was amazing and he was close to 60 when he sang it? can only image what he was like about 25 yrs ago

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

Phantess Profile Photo
Phantess
#8re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 7:34pm

Hugh Panaro. Then I'd have to say John Owen Jones but he's in London.

FindingNamo
#9re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 7:34pm

Lon Cheney, followed very closely at second place by Paul Williams.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

MargoChanning
#10re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 7:41pm

I'm with you Namo (I even own a copy of Phantom of the Paradise), though I think I'll go with Claude Rains.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Janki Profile Photo
Janki
#11re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 8:15pm

The current London Phantom John Owen Jones is amazing...and he was a brill Valjean to....catch him if you can...:)

Popular...You're gonna be Popuular....;)

#12re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 9:03pm

I've seen about 6 different Phantoms, and I would have to say that it's a tie between Brad Little and Hugh Panaro. Brad tends to be a more violent Phantom, while Hugh's performance is more heart-wrenching. But you really can't go wrong with either. Amazing set of voices those guys have too! :)

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#13re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 9:20pm

wondering when you would jump on this one, sweetie! I will e-mail you in a few days!

Oh and add... Mind if I add Kevin Gray to your list with Brad & Hugh. Shhhhh don't tell Schulman.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

FindingNamo
#14re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 9:25pm

I LOVE Billy Batson. And I enjoyed Brad Little and the sequel, Brad Little 2, with Nathan Lane.

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#15re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 9:29pm

Cris Groenendall. If he's not your favorite, you didn't see him. Wrenching performance that outshone the material all night.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#16re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 9:35pm

John, I'm sure you are right about Cris! I didn't see his Phantom. But the job he did in the "Three Phantoms Concert" sent me over the top. He has a stellar voice!

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#17re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 9:36pm

Howard McGillin, definitely. He just put so much emotion into the role without overdoing it, and his voice is wobderful. I did enjoy Hugh Panaro and Brad Little too (Hugh is gorgeous, my god).

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

FindingNamo
#18re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 9:38pm

I'd like to be over the top if the top is Craig Schulman, speaking of Three Phantoms.

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#19re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 9:51pm

HUGH PANARO!!!!
and jeff keller wasn't bad either. the guy on the tour (Gary Mauer) was a bit iffy...

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

CherylA928 Profile Photo
CherylA928
#20re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 10:52pm

I wish I had seen Michael Crawford as the Phantom but it was not meant to be.

That said, my favorite out of all the Phantoms I have seen perform is still Jim Romick, swing at the Majestic Theater, NYC. He’s fantastic and I see him every chance I get.

It's never too late to live happily ever after!

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#21re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 11:00pm

anyone see Jeff Hyslop?

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#22re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 11:11pm

I don't think anyone is in the position to fairly say who the BEST Phantom was unless they have seen every single person who's ever performed the role.

Which means, no one.

secret-soul Profile Photo
secret-soul
#23re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 11:13pm

betcha harold and andrew have seen all of them. Oh- and Jeff Keller and George Lee Andrews have seen all of them.
Never say no one.

Plince! Plince! Nein! T-Rex!!

Musetta1957 Profile Photo
Musetta1957
#24re: Best Phantom
Posted: 5/25/04 at 11:15pm

"Oh- and Jeff Keller and George Lee Andrews have seen all of them."

Maybe all the ones who were on Broadway.

But in my post, I was referring to every single production in the world, from Hamburg to Tokyo to Toronto and all points in between.