pixeltracker

Sweeney Todd auditons! Could it move to Broadway??

Sweeney Todd auditons! Could it move to Broadway??

USActorSinger Profile Photo
USActorSinger
#0Sweeney Todd auditons! Could it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:15pm

Check this out:
http://web.actorsequity.org/CastingSearch/browse_notice.asp?NoticeID=3841&NoticeType=1

Brian>http://web.actorsequity.org/CastingSearch/browse_notice.asp?NoticeID=3841&NoticeType=1>http://web.actorsequity.org/CastingSearch/browse_notice.asp?NoticeID=3841&NoticeType=1

Brian Stokes Mitchell would be a great choice for Sweeney! Updated On: 6/21/04 at 06:15 PM

Ruffian
#1re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:16pm

Hmmmmmmm...I DO keep hearing about this

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#2re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:17pm

SWEENEY! Please go to Broadway.....for me...

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Plum
#3re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:17pm

*wipes drool from chin*

Yes...that would be nice.

Ruffian
#4re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:27pm

.....a bit off topic, but did anyone see STOKES carrying the Olypmic Torch this Saturday? I checked out the relay, but was not where Brian was running...would love to see a photo of that

AnothaPartofMe
#5re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:28pm

Sweeney was revived on Broadway about 7-8 years ago... too soon for a revival?? If not, then bring back Victor/Victoria.

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#6re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:28pm

Brian and Marin together again?! Sweeney back on Broadway?! We can only pray...

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#7re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:35pm

GASP!!! Could it be?!?!?! I'd try to audition, but I'm only 13. re: Sweeny Todd auditons!  Coud it move to Broadway?? Updated On: 6/21/04 at 06:35 PM

StickToPriest
#8re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:36pm

"I'd try to audition, but I'm only 13"

Youre 13 and you already have your equity card?

USActorSinger Profile Photo
USActorSinger
#9re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:38pm

the sweeney revival was actually like thirteen years ago

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#10re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:39pm

"Youre 13 and you already have your equity card?"

Why yes. Yes I do. re: Sweeny Todd auditons!  Coud it move to Broadway??

StickToPriest
#11re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:41pm

very cool....i'm close to having the amount of points needed, (i'm 16) but im gonna hold off on joining

MargoChanning
#12re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 6:51pm

The last Sweeney on Broadway was Susan Schulman's back in 1990 at Circle In The Square (which was dubbed "Teeny Todd" by some because of its smaller scale) with Bob Gunton and Beth Fowler in the leads.

This Equity call sheet isn't for a production of the show that would end up in NY (Broadway bound revivals of Sondheim masterpieces don't originate at the Sprint Square Center for the Arts in Charlotte, North Carolina by "The Duke Power Theatre," with a director with no NY credits to his name). This is just one of dozens of productions of the show that happen every year -- they're casting the principals out of NY out of practicality.

And by the way, "Victor/Victoria" hemorrhaged red ink during its Broadway run (partly because Julie Andrews kept missing performances) -- add it to the list of shows that'll never get a Broadway revival.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 6/21/04 at 06:51 PM

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#13re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 7:47pm

My ultimate dreamcast for this amazing show:

Sweeney Todd: Brian Stokes Mitchell
Mrs. Lovett: Patti LuPone, replaced by Donna Murphy.
Antony: Neil Patrick Harris
Joanna: Jessica Grove
Judge: John McMartin
Toby: Hunter Foster
Beggar Woman: Marin Mazzie

MaddieKat Profile Photo
MaddieKat
#14re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 8:02pm

Actually Joseph Gera does have NY credits. I have heard about this production. I believe they are in talks with sevaral names for the two big leads including Roma Downey. If the North Carolina run is a success then plans art to try to bring the production to NYC.

MargoChanning
#15re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 9:23pm

Well, I didn't see any listing for "Joseph Gera" in IBDB or the Lortel archives which would indicate he hasn't done any work on Broadway or in any notable off-Broadway theatres -- if there's an error or omission on those sites, then I take back what I said.

Sondheim is extremely protective of his shows and who he allows to produce and direct them in New York (it took some convincing for him to allow the Schulman "Teeny Todd" to transfer from the York to Circle In The Square). Even Eric Schaeffer, whose Signature Theatre in Virginia is known nationally for its Sondheim productions (Sondheim himself is a huge fan and hand picked Schaeffer to be one of the directors of the Sondeim Festival at the Kennedy Center), has only directed "Putting It Together" in New York. We shall see if Mr. Gera and Ms. Downey will be making their Broadway debuts with "Sweeney Todd" .........

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 6/21/04 at 09:23 PM

MusicMan
#16re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 9:34pm

Oh, I can definitely see Roma Downey as Mrs. Lovett.

"It's shepherd's pie peppered with actual shepherd on top---
and Gawd loves you."

MargoChanning
#17re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 9:36pm

LOL

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#18re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 10:06pm

ROFL!

Towards the end of the play, all actors freeze, a bright light shines on Roma Downey and she turns full front to the audience:

"I'm an angel, sent by Gawd. And he has a message for you: 'these truely are the worst pies in London'."

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Dollypop
#19re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 10:06pm

If I can remember the FORBIDDEN BROADWAY parody of this???

I think it went:

"Attend the tale of TEENY TODD
The Stage was small and the staging odd"

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#20re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 11:40pm

Wasn't there something recently about the film version being put it into works and all rights for regional theatres being cut? I seem to recall that being discussed.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

MargoChanning
#21re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/21/04 at 11:45pm

Sam Mendes is supposed to be doing it, but I don't know the status of it -- I don't remember any casting being announced.

lvpblues
#22re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/22/04 at 12:09am

Roma Downey? Wasn't there a running gag on "Touched By An Angel" about what a lousy singer she was?

prock
#23re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/26/04 at 8:46pm

actually joseph gera has most of his credits in london's west end, and the edinbourgh festival. he's british, but he does have some ny credits.

and roma downey is not the greatest singer in the world, but if you think about it, mrs. lovett doesn't have to be the best singer...plus she is irish, which might be funny.

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#24re: Sweeny Todd auditons! Coud it move to Broadway??
Posted: 6/27/04 at 1:54am

sam mendes's sweeny would be incredible no doubt. i pray he directs the film version.

i would love to see audra as lovett someday.

Videos