Wicked or Rent?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#50re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 8/3/04 at 9:38am

"Oh, I dont know when you are going, but Id suggest RENT before sep 9 because Drew LAchey takes over the role of Mark after that. Not to say that I know his acting; he could end up being good. But Matt Caplan is the best Mark out there."

In that case, go AFTER Sep 9. Matt Caplan does not play Mark at all. He plays some sort of bitter, angry, spiteful twentysomething who acts like he's way cool or something. It's a very self-indulgent performance that is more suited to Roger (or Benny) than Mark. Plus, you cannot understand a word of his dialogue.

And one day, maybe someone will figure out how to set the sound levels for the answering machine. I could barely hear them and Alexi Darling needs to stop scooping so much. With the mic filters it is impossible to make out what she says.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#51re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 8/4/04 at 5:52pm

See both if you can. But get to Wicked before Idina Menzel leaves!

LittleBroken
#52re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 8/5/04 at 2:16am

"In that case, go AFTER Sep 9. Matt Caplan does not play Mark at all. He plays some sort of bitter, angry, spiteful twentysomething who acts like he's way cool or something. It's a very self-indulgent performance that is more suited to Roger (or Benny) than Mark. Plus, you cannot understand a word of his dialogue."

Well, its all a matter of opinion. Its a love or hate thing with Matt. Some thing he's terrible and some think he brings aspects to Mark that add a lot to the character.

sfs1414
#53re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 8/5/04 at 2:19am

Rent....Much more depth there.

Renthead#1 Profile Photo
Renthead#1
#54re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/6/06 at 8:09pm

Rent.

Go ask Alice When she's ten feet tall

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#55re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/6/06 at 8:12pm

You just resurrected a two year old thread about the two most sensitive subjects on this board. Run while you can.

Parks
#56re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/6/06 at 8:13pm

haha, exactly what I was thinking, leon.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#57re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/6/06 at 8:20pm

And you give them suggestions although most likely after 2 years they've chosen a show and SEEN it already?

iHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
#58re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/6/06 at 8:33pm

HAha, I didn't even realize this thread was so old until I read "see Wicked while you can still catch Idina" and then I was like WTF?

But now I'm hooked--I need to know, what show did they end up seeing? I can't sleep tonight if I don't find out!

"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#59re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/6/06 at 8:47pm

Same iHeart!

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#60re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/6/06 at 8:55pm

My friend saw Rent recently and said it was amazing. I don't love Wicked's music at all - Rent is wonderful. To be cheesy, it felt like more than just a show, but an experience.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

jimnysf
#61re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/6/06 at 9:06pm

"Hairsray".

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

icantbelive
#62re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/6/06 at 10:05pm

First its hairspray, and also see RENT, if you want a great show. Tickets are cheaper for Rent than most of the other shows anyways

glinda7
#63re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 8:49am

Honestly, both are great shows. I would see Wicked right now, but you should see Rent also.
Speaking of Rent, there is so much more to it then drugs and AIDS. It has a much deeper meaning, and for all who say different obviously haven't seen it or didn't pay attention. I'm not saying it should be "life-altering," but if it is for some, there is nothing wrong with that.
And, by the way, why would it close anytime soon? Rent is anything but dead.

"Don't worry cracker boy, it's cool."

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#64re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 9:28am

RENT

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

iHeartMyGeek Profile Photo
iHeartMyGeek
#65re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 11:18am

Why are people still replying to this? It was a 2-year-old thread, no one cares about it anymore!

"I can't figure out what kind of life this is, comedy or tragedy, I just know it's showbiz. And what if I don't agree with the lines I have to read? They don't pay me enough, the way I see it."

me3 Profile Photo
me3
#66re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 1:13pm

Wicked

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#67re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 1:21pm

I have a feeling people aren't actually reading the thread, but just responding.

incupsofcoffee
#68re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 2:57pm

maybe it's good to learn how to handle some struggles that other people face in real life, even if you haven't...you could get AIDS at anytime, dont dismiss it as something thats just fictional and depressing...i like both of these shows, but rent IS real...wicked is not. it just depends on which you want to experience

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#69re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 3:32pm

This thread is about two years old. The person went to New York already.

#70re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 6:00pm

I saw them both in February. I loved them both so much but I would say see RENT. The cast of RENT were really good, but with Wicked, the Elphaba was nothing compared to Idina. And seeing as she's on her way back to Oz, I'd say try and get to see her in Wicked and see RENT on Broadway.

Ohhh or go see both. try the lottery on one show if you cant afford them both its worth a shot!

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#71re: Wicked or Rent?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 6:06pm

Both are nice shows, but currently Wicked's cast is stronger than Rent's.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#72Apples or Oranges?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 6:10pm

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 6/7/06 at 06:10 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#73Apples or Oranges?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 6:10pm

They're two really different shows. I'd say go see Wicked.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#74Apples or Oranges?
Posted: 6/7/06 at 6:12pm

that's a hard choice!

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!