Anne of Green Gables

Roxie Profile Photo
Roxie
#0Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:45pm

I'm Canadian...from the Maritimes actually, for any of you who are also from Canada, and here this is a very popular musical. I'm just wondering of anyone from USA knows what this is and if so, what are your thoughts. I am in love with it and it is one of my dream roles. For any Canadians...I would also love your opinions!

bogey_LIVE
#1re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:46pm

I know nothing about the musical...but i love the original TV movies starring Megan Follows...I love her!

NativeNewYorker
#2re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:47pm

I LOVE Anne of Green Gables, but I've never seen the musical! I know last summer Jessica Grove did the workshop here...I would love it if it came back to the city.

Gavin Creel would make a great Gilbert! :)

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#3re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/15/04 at 10:49pm

i've heard of the musical..but dont no much about it. i did love the tv movies tho

broadwayguy2
#4re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:13am

I have seen the musical and I really enjoyed it personally.. It was about 8 years ago though... so I don't remember alot of details.. I recall some of the music and the sets.....

WOSQ
#5re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:42am

I saw this musical in London where it was a big hit when Nixon was in office and on the same weekend that Judy Garland died. It is pleasant enough musical while cutting no new ground.

The only production in New York that I remember was a limited holiday run at City Center around 1970.

Didn't this start out at the Charlottestown PEI Festival and then was revived each summer there for a decade or so?

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

sycorax
#6re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/16/04 at 12:23pm

I've done it... I played Anne about two years ago. :) Great fun. I loved it and I still play the CD a lot.

"It means that the other guys didn't win!" --Jeff Marx on what winning a Tony would mean to him

judy_in_disguise
#7re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/16/04 at 12:50pm

Another Canadian! Awesome!
I love the maritimes, I was just out there at the start of the summer. Road tripped from Kingston, Ont. through Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI in a WEEK! Making stops in Montreal, QC, Edmunston, Sackville, St. John, Sydney, Halifax, Dartmouth, Charlottetown, Cavendish and many others along the way!
I met the old couple who wrote the musical Anne of GG at the auditions for the Charlottetown Festival this year, they were so cute!
The musical is very cute. I know it has huge international appeal, especially in Japan. I've never quite been able to figure out why but it is HUGE over there.

Mythus
#8re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/16/04 at 5:16pm

I was in Anne of Green Gables last year. I played Miss Stacy. It's a great role, but equally as horrible, since the director cut the Nature Hunt. I only had one song, and it was halfway through the second act - but it was a solo, which was awesome.

I shouldn't give my thoughts on the show, though. The version we did probably burned many eyes out of their sockets, what with the inexperienced, junior high actors.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#9re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/16/04 at 5:33pm

I have seen a few versions of this musical done...the best being Theatre Clagary's a decade or so back. The sets were amazing, as well as the singing, but mostly i remember the sets. The peices were on tracks and flowed between scenes effortlessly. I remember the entire house coming in from all sides and assembling in no time. Amazing stuff...probably the reason I am an aspiring set designer now.

Akiva

Roxie Profile Photo
Roxie
#10re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/16/04 at 10:19pm

Thanks guys for your thoughts....judy in disguise I'm from NB!! Cool that you were through our parts recently. Sycorax, where did you play Anne? Was it in PEI? Oh and WOSQ, it did start in Charlottetown PEI and takes place in that province and still plays there and has for about 40.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#11re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/16/04 at 10:24pm

Yeah...Canadian pride, eh! I am Calgarian myself, but I go to school in Toronto. Hah me need more good Canadian musicals...i plan to remedy that myself by writing some re: Anne of Green Gables

Akiva

sycorax
#12re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/16/04 at 10:56pm

"Sycorax, where did you play Anne?"

Unfortunately not in PEI. I wish! In a tiny community theater in West Virginia. Depressing, but the cast was surprisingly good and it's such a fun show anyway.

humble pie
humble pie
we can eat it, you and I...

"It means that the other guys didn't win!" --Jeff Marx on what winning a Tony would mean to him

ProducersFan
#13re: Anne of Green Gables
Posted: 8/16/04 at 11:00pm

I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread --

but Mythus - I *love* your icon! re: Anne of Green Gables

Okay, sorry - back to the original topic!

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#14Anne of Green Gables/Megan Follows Love Thread
Posted: 8/20/06 at 2:38pm

Just giving a shout out to any fellow AOGG fans and Megan Follows fans. Megan just wrapped a Stoppard play up in TO and did Sam Shepard's Fool for Love last year. She is a stunning actress on stage, but I loved her first as Anne. Megan is perfection and I hope she makes it to Broadway at some point.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#15Anne of Green Gables/Megan Follows Love Thread
Posted: 8/20/06 at 3:07pm

Megan Follows was great, as well as Colleen Dewhurst, and the girl that player her friend Diana was also really great. I used to watch the show, as well as Road to Avonlea. They were hits in South America.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 8/20/06 at 03:07 PM

#16Anne of Green Gables/Megan Follows Love Thread
Posted: 8/20/06 at 3:28pm

I've seen the musical some years ago on PEI. It was great. And Roxie - my family is from NB!!! Both sets of grandparents were born there, and I've been visiting there since I was about 6 months old. :) I've got all three DVD's of A of GG. They're some of my favorite DVD's.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#17Anne of Green Gables/Megan Follows Love Thread
Posted: 8/20/06 at 5:07pm

I DID THIS MUSICAL!!! I loved it so much fun, my favorite song was Open the Window. It was just so much fun. What is the song called with the lyrics So as far as I can see, I just cleared up the mistery, of why the road is red perpetually. The Answer's found not in the ground in your imagination, Gee, I'm Glad I'm no one else but me!

dutch46mill2
#18Anne of Green Gables/Megan Follows Love Thread
Posted: 8/20/06 at 9:33pm

I haven't seen Megan Follows since on the set of Anne the movie(Brother in Law was DOP). Is she into singing now if so how good is she? Anybody?

xluckystar2107x Profile Photo
xluckystar2107x
#19Anne of Green Gables/Megan Follows Love Thread
Posted: 8/20/06 at 10:31pm

saw it. in connecticut. didnt like it very much.

Crazy_for_the_Q Profile Photo
Crazy_for_the_Q
#21Anne of Green Gables/Megan Follows Love Thread
Posted: 8/21/06 at 5:38am

I did Anne of Green Gables at my camp. I was in the ensemble but I had SO much fun. My director was insane but it made it all the better. The songs were so catchy... my favorite is "The Words"

luvtheatre11
#22Anne of Green Gables/Megan Follows Love Thread
Posted: 8/21/06 at 7:23am

This toured the Northeast last fall, and we went to see it. It is quite a lovely show, and we thoroughly enjoyed it! It had some wonderful songs!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#23Anne of Green Gables/Megan Follows Love Thread
Posted: 8/21/06 at 9:08am

So many people on here saying they "did Anne." That girl got around!!! Just kidding!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

smiles Profile Photo
smiles
#24Anne of Green Gables/Megan Follows Love Thread
Posted: 8/21/06 at 9:29am

I live on Prince Edward Island (home to Anne of Green Gables). And I have no desire to see this show. I hate Anne! The hype about Anne just makes me crazy! I LOVE Musicals, but I hate Anne of Green gable. My hate for Anne overpowers my love for musicals.

fiyero8132
#25Anne of Green Gables/Megan Follows Love Thread
Posted: 8/21/06 at 10:10am

I've done this show too. I'm Canadian too! Ahaha! Hey Akiva, want to write the book and lyrics to a musical that I shall write the score to?

Videos