pixeltracker

Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?- Page 2

Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#25re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 1:05pm

The Jean Valjean Theatre type thing you mean? You're not serious?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#26re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 1:08pm

I do think it should be like Vegas where the name of the theatre is the same as the name of the show.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#27re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 1:09pm

I mean like after someone who helped make the show (the lyricist/compser etc etc).

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#28re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 1:17pm

With a rich theatrical history that Broadway has, I think we hardly need to be more like Vegas...

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#29re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 1:24pm

wasn't there some joke a while back about changing the Ford Center (or something) to the Jason Robert Brown Center? that was pretty funny .. people got so mad.

bronxboundexpress
#30re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 1:28pm

richer? vegas shows have more money than broadway shows. lol

kissmycookie
#31re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 1:31pm

Vegas also had shows like EFX... long on cash for the effects, short on substance.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#32re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:09pm

Wickedrocks--I think the WINTERGARDEN should always stay the WINTERGARDEN. I just love the name of that theatre.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Royi88
#33re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:47pm

I would support a Michael Crawford theatre...

shesings
#34re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 3:52pm

I just called telecharge and they say that there isn't a listing for the Melanie Griffith Theatre ..... I was so looking forward to seeing Sheryl!

bogey_LIVE
#35re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 4:34pm

I think that changeing theaters names is a horrible idea. MAYBE giving them sub-names. But I think we change the names of enugh things (like streets and boulevars) No one ever notices, no one ever cares. Just leave them with the names they were given by there fore-fathers.

StickToPriest
#36re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 4:37pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with changing generic names like the Palace Theatre or the Imperial Theatre to more meaningful names like The Stephen Sondheim Theatre or The George W. Bush Center for the Performing Arts.

(Just kidding on that last one)

SMichaelK Profile Photo
SMichaelK
#37re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 4:38pm

Oh God, don't get me started on Vegas, NYC might be big and brash, but at least there is substance and tradition on Broadway. Vegas was just excessive, kinda like casting David Hasslehoff in anything. Lots of flash not a lot of substance. But I definately agree that the names should stay the same... corporate sponsorship scares me, and I think that would happen... See Jerry Springer the Opera... now playing at Chase Bank of Manhattan theater in the General motors center... shudder.

You, you are the worst thing to happen to musical theater since Andrew Lloyd Webber... and you I just don't like you.

StickToPriest
#38re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 4:41pm

I totally agree that theatres being named after corparations. But what is wrong with naming a theatre after an individual/group whose contribution to the artistic devevlopment (NOT financial development) of theatre has been enormous?

The Tunick and Gemignani Theatre? Anyone?

Updated On: 8/17/04 at 04:41 PM

Plum
#39re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 4:42pm

How often are theaters named after actors? If anyone less than Merman gets a theater named after them, I'll be pretty darn shocked.

Anyway, Sondheim is one of the few people nowadays that I can see and support getting a theater named for them before they die.

bogey_LIVE
#40re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 4:46pm

READ WHAT I WROTE!!!!! I said sub-names are okay...it's called compromise. BUT not all, but many of the names were given for a reason! All I am saying is, you guys are being kind. I am surprised we are not voting on the Idina Menzel theater.

bronxboundexpress
#41re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 5:34pm

kissmycookie, I just want to let you know that I am a die hard fan of EFX. What you said it true. But having said that, this show is very near to my heart because the MGM is my favorite hotel in the world and I religiously went and saw this show over and over and over again close to 100 times as I live in Vegas part-time. It's fun a good example of how Vegas is the entertainment leader as far as size, budget, special effects, and technology even though Broadway is better as far as acting and writing.

kissmycookie
#42re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 5:40pm

bronxboundexpress: We have different viewpoints on what constitutes good entertainment. That's cool.

The only theatres I can think of that are named after performers are:

Helen Hayes
Lunt-Fontanne
(Edwin) Booth
(Ethel) Barrymore

bronxboundexpress
#43re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 5:43pm

kissmycookie, thanks. I really think BOTH kinds of entertainment are good in their own ways.

ProducersFan
#44re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 7:49pm

I saw EFX a looong time ago (back around 1995 I think...). It was a fun show but I don't remember much about it. We went with friends who were high rollers and we got like the best seats in the house - they were actually Liza Minnelli's seats. That was pretty neat in itself. I still have the program and 3d glasses somewhere...

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#45re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 7:58pm

I think the Cadillac Winter Garden should drop the Cadillac. I don't want to see corporate endorsement from marquees, thank you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#46re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 8:33pm

It'd be the Boubil and Schonberg theatre. That has always had a nice ring to it.

The "One Day More" theater

USActorSinger Profile Photo
USActorSinger
#47re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:27pm

Can someone explain to me why the opposition to Corporate Naming rights is so strong. If you are supporting Broadway (which by posting on this board I assume you do)you are supporting comercial theatre. The real art is off-broadway and elsewhere not there. Its all about money on Broadway and naming a theatre after some dead person no matter how well respected does not make much (or any) money. If you have a problem with corperations you shouldn't support big expesive messes like Hairspray, Aida, and 42nd sreet. I think its funny that people act like Rent was the show that "changed broadway"...I wish. I wish there were more innovative, minimalist masterpieces with great unknown casts!....Thank God for Ave Q:)

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#48re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/17/04 at 11:46pm

I hate the American Airlines Theatre and the Cadillac wintergarden theatre names....it just makes me wanna hurl. The Ford Center for the Performing arts doesnt bother me though for some reason. But the thing that really bugs me is the LaSalle Bank Theatre in chicago. Its currently named the Shubert Theatre but later this year its going under restoration and the LaSalle Bank Theatre is the new name. I wouldnt mind the LaSalle Theatre...but why add bank to it...ok im done.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#49re: Isn't it time we changed the name of a couple more Broadway theatres?
Posted: 8/18/04 at 12:45am

Not stupid Ziemba. You don't just a name a theatre after someone because a handfull of people are obsessed with them. You name them after people who made a significant impact on the industry as a whole.

Merman and Martin are perfect examples.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be

Videos