pixeltracker

My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.

My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.

ps27b
#0My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:38pm

The music is great - Eden is going to be a big star - and Broadway needs something completely new and different. This is it! I just wish I could get to NY to see it!

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#1re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:39pm

New?

Isn't it similar to RENT?

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#2re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:47pm

No! Please dont say that... you didn't see the show. People who saw the show in Denver said it's a great new production

Updated On: 8/29/04 at 11:47 PM

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#3re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:48pm

Oh.. and i have tix for october 7th 8:00pm

:)

Updated On: 6/19/05 at 11:48 PM

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#4re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/29/04 at 11:48pm

I didn't say that.

I asked it.

So I guess the answer is no. re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

Ustadance
#5re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/30/04 at 9:55pm

BKLYN has as much to do with "Rent" as "Rent" did to "A Chorus Line" - nothin'...! Not even similar.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#6re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/30/04 at 9:56pm

BKLYN will probably be not be a flop, but not a smash. I dont think it will be the years biggest show.

Elphaba984 Profile Photo
Elphaba984
#7re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/30/04 at 10:11pm

yeah i have to agree with WICKEDROCKS. i don't think it'll be a big hit but i don't think it's gonna totally suck. no i haven't seen it or heard much about it. so i'm not baseing my opinion on anything. but i do think that spamalot is gonna be the hit this year. just look at the cast that's been announced. but like i said not judging on anything. but hey it could be good. can i ask for anyone who knows more about it what is the plot line? i have heard things saying it could be the next rent only better but other than that not too much.

"You can't stop someone who wants to be an artist. If they're going to do it, they're going to do it... Work as hard as you can on the things you can work on. Until it seems like there is no possible chance you're going to succeed, don't give up." ~ANDREW ASNES avatar: me and jason gillman... in the pouring rain.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#8re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/30/04 at 10:22pm

Brooklyn is going to be the next Wicked...not a doubt in my mind.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#9re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/30/04 at 10:24pm

I pretty much feel the same way, LittleFish.

dgabriel
#10re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/30/04 at 10:41pm

The next Wicked... I'm not sure.

But, I'd say Brooklyn has two things going for it... low overheard (no big stars, small ensemble) and Eden Espinosa. I would guess these two assets will help Brooklyn stay around for a while.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#11re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:08pm

By next Wicked I mean next Rent and so on and so forth. Rent had a virtually unknown cast, and look what happened to it? Pretty soon everyone was singing a song from it for their audition, much like Wicked right now.

Sure Wicked had some star quality, but I don't think that would have stopped it from being the giant of a musical it is today.
For example, virtually no one knew who Jennifer Laura Thompson was before she got cast in Wicked, and if they knew who she was, didn't have any feeling towards her whatsoever. All of a sudden, she gets cast in Wicked and there are 10 million people screaming that they love JLT...

I really think Brooklyn is going to be it---it already has Eden.
Sorry that I rambled there, but do you get what I mean? Anyone...

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#12re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:14pm

I get what you mean. Also...it hasn't even started performances yet, but it already has a fanbase and pretty pasiionate fans lurking...much like Wicked did last year.

dgabriel
#13re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:19pm

I have a good feeling about Brooklyn... BUT...

comparisons to RENT and WICKED I have a problem with. Rent had Larson and opened with incredible NATIONAL attention... and Wicked has a familiar story for people to latch on to. Right now, Brooklyn has neither a name, emotion or storyline that is familiar.

It has a hidden star (Eden), two writers (with an interesting backstory) and a talented creative team... is this the formula for a big hit, I'm not sure. As I said before, it probably doesn't need big grosses to succeed... they most likely have low overhead so it won't take much to keep this show going.

Assuming the show is as good as people are posting on this board, this show will pick up steam in Previews as word-of-mouth hits. We shall see...

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#14re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/30/04 at 11:43pm

People, you CANNOT compare Rent and Wicked. Rent won a Pulitzer Prize, for goodness sakes! It completely reinvigorated musical theatre and brought a whole new generation to see Broadway. Wicked opened to mixed reviews and criticism of being yet another megamusical.

I'd say Wicked was the next Beauty and the Beast.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Ustadance
#15re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/31/04 at 9:42am

How about just letting BKLYN be itself - and not compare it to shows with which there is no comparison...? (How do you compare "West Side Story" to "A Chorus Line" or "Side Show" to "Phantom" - you can't).

FindingNamo
#16re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/31/04 at 10:12am

"All of a sudden, she gets cast in Wicked and there are 10 million people screaming that they love JLT..."

You really, really need to get some perspective and a handle on your hyperbole.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

wickedfan2 Profile Photo
wickedfan2
#17re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:41am

And I'm pissed I just got an email for 40% tickets when I bought mine the first day they went on sale at full price of $100.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

judy_in_disguise
#18re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:45am

Hello pSHILL27, how are we doing today?

ItSucks2BAveQ Profile Photo
ItSucks2BAveQ
#19re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/31/04 at 11:48am

Brooklyn will do good but i think Little Women will do better in my opinion.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#20re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 8/31/04 at 5:49pm

I think Brooklyn will hold it's own. There are some better songs in the show than the ones available on the website. It scares me that Eden Espinoza is already getting so much attention already. (Although, I am sure they are pushing her to the forefront) But trust me, the 2 other ladies in this show can pretty much go toe to toe with her in the singing department. It is a pretty light show and the story is not really complicated at all. I think that critics may not be happy with some of the staging. (You do have to use your imagination. That doesn't always go over well!!) Having seen it a few times, I couldn't help but think of RENT. The set just has that feel to it. (And based on the sketches, they have not changed it much, it at all from the Denver run) The music is not as rock oriented as RENT. The cast plays street people. The whole show is a "street performance". I can't see critics ripping it to shreds, but I can see them calling it a light, fun evening at the theatre. It will be interesting to see what they have done with the book. It could use some tightening up a bit. And the "sing off" scene in the second act should be tightened up a bit also. (In my opinion) As I said in another thread, I think it will appeal to a wide audience. and, as stated before, I was very impressed by the sound design. Cool city sound effects swirled around the theatre in Denver. A friend associated with the show has also told me that the audience participation has been removed from the second act. That could change however. (I hope not. It didn't go over well with myself and a lot of people I know who saw it) In my opinion, If you liked Wicked or RENT, (Just using those shows as there have been comparisons)this show should be right up your alley.

Just give the world Love.

ItSucks2BAveQ Profile Photo
ItSucks2BAveQ
#21re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 6/19/05 at 12:37am

makes me laugh every time...

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#22re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 6/19/05 at 12:51am

Brooklyn will have great success on it's 60-city tour.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#23re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 6/19/05 at 12:55am

it IS kinda funny how we thought all these things back then...

::bust a move::

trpguyy
#24re: My Hunch... Brooklyn is going to be biggest show this yr.
Posted: 6/19/05 at 12:57am

hahaha, thanks for pulling this one up. It makes for a fun read.

Videos