Best One Hit Wonder!

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#0Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:56pm

The actor or actress who starred or appeared in one show, shone like there was no tomorrow, and then disappeared or never had that type of magic again.

I say Daphne Rubin-Vega in Rent and Carl Anderson in JCS.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#1re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/2/04 at 11:58pm

Jennifer Holliday
Sad but true re: Best One Hit Wonder!
and literally a one hit wonder on the billboard charts

Delphine Profile Photo
Delphine
#2re: Best One Hit Wonder!

Daphne? She's done a lot since RENT.

If any RENT alumni, I'd say Wilson Jermaine Heredia.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#3re: Best One Hit Wonder!

Wilson Jermaine Heredia...he won a Tony for "Rent" but never did anything on Broadway after that.

Oops..Delphine, you beat me to it.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.
Updated On: 9/2/04 at 11:58 PM

Type_A_Tiff
#4re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:02am

Daphne did Anna in the Tropics (and RHS for that matter), but I don't think either of them even compared to her exposure from Rent. That's what I meant. :)

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

LadyGuenevere
#5re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:03am

Daphne has proven, though, that she can hold her own in a straight play.

I saw Anna in the Tropics, and thought that she was wonderful.

Most straight plays usually don't get rabid fans anyway. re: Best One Hit Wonder!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#6re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:04am

Wasn't she nominated for a Tony this season?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Type_A_Tiff
#7re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:07am

She might've been, in which case I'll take back what I said about her. It could just be my fault because aside from Rent and RHS, I didn't really follow anything else she did.

What about Mary Louise Parker? (I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to plays though, so she may have done things I'm not aware of.)

judy_in_disguise
#8re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:10am

Meredith Willson.
(Not for acting....but still).

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#9re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:14am

yes, Daphne Rubin-Vega was indeed nominated for a Tony this year, for Best Actress in a Play. She has proven herself versatile and able to tackle straight plays as well as musicals (she also did "Rocky Horror" on Broadway) is ample proof that she is not a "one hit wonder".

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#10re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:15am

jennifer holliday had a well recieved run in chicago fairly recently, i wouldn't call her a 1 hit either

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#11re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:17am

good grief, I forgot Chicago! And I saw her in it too re: Best One Hit Wonder!
But seriously, she really hasn't had a mega-comeback like Dreamgirls, although she will always be a star in my eyes.

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#12re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:18am

Linda Eder. She needs to get back on Broadway soon or she will certainly go down as a one-hit wonder.

Judy, I always maintain that Meredith Willson was a two-hit wonder. The Unsinkable Molly Brown ran for more than a year on Broadway and spawned a very successful film.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"
Updated On: 9/3/04 at 12:18 AM

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#13re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 1:16am

Meredith Wilson? Which one? The Music Man or The Unsinkable Molly Brown? (Probably more out there but I'm too tired to think of them.)

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

MargoChanning
#14re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 5:01am

Jennifer was also Teen Angel in the last revival of "Grease," starred as Bessie Smith in "Downhearted Blues" Off-Broadway a couple of years ago, was Mahalia Jackson in "Sing, Mahalia Sing" and was featured in Maurice Hines' "Harlem Suite" out of town (neither show ended up on Broadway -- I saw both and Jennifer was incredible).

Daphne Rubin Vega has worked non-stop since "Rent" (all you Rentheads really need to pay more attention to off-Boradway and non-musicals). I've seen her in Nilo Cruz's "Anna In The Tropics" (Pulitzer-prize winner), Cruz's "Two Sisters and a Piano" at the Public, "F*CKing A" by Suzan-Lori Parks (who won the Pulitzer for "Topdog/Underdog"), "Free To Be, You and Me" at The Drama Dept., "Between Us" at MTC, and "Rocky Horror" on Broadway.

As far as Mary-Louise Parker, fewer actors have spent more time on stage in the last 5 - 10 years than Parker. In addition to winning the Tony and Drama Desk for her two years doing "Proof," she won the Obie and Lortel for Paula Vogel's Pulitzer-winning "How I Learned To Drive," starred in the revival of "Bus Stop" on Broadway, John Patrick Shanley's "Four Dogs and a Bone" at MTC, Ayckbourn's "Communicating Doors" off-Broadway and will open on Broadway in a revival of Craig Lucas' "Reckless" in the next few weeks.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

#15re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 6:13am

I don't know if I'd call Linda Eder a one hit wonder. I mean I understand where you're coming from but I think it's more like she doesn't need Broadway anymore. A lot of my new musical friends know who she is either from her Christmas songs, tv appearances, the Olympics or all the ice skaters who use her music LOL It seems like she's much happier in her concert career and I don't think we'll see her on Broadway anymore, just like I think we've seen the last of Sarah Brightman on stage too.

Jon
#16re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 8:08am

I suppose it would be unfair to include child performers like Daisy Eagan.

But while we're on the subject, can we include Secret Garden composer Lucy Simon?

Type_A_Tiff
#17re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:29pm

Margo - Like, if there isn't music and dancing and singing and pretty costumes and big sets and an orchestra and it's not in the theatre district and it doesn't cost one week of my pay for one ticket, then, like, why would I want to know about it??? (PS. You're all right, but I like your sister - daughter? -Stockard more.) re: Best One Hit Wonder!

But I guess I should define what I'd consider a one-hit wonder. It doesn't mean necessarily that they never worked again - they may have worked again, but nothing that gave them the exposure, attention, or accolades of that one piece of work.

NBRISBY Profile Photo
NBRISBY
#18re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:37pm

Well, if we're including those people, Loretta Devine probably counts, no?

I'd have to say while Jennifer did go into Chicago...she hasn't originated anything since Dreamgirls...on Broadway (I saw her off-bway of downhearted...omg...brilliant). When will someone write her a new Bway show...it'd sell like hotcakes, I'm sure.

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#19re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 12:40pm

Margo - Like, if there isn't music and dancing and singing and pretty costumes and big sets and an orchestra and it's not in the theatre district and it doesn't cost one week of my pay for one ticket, then, like, why would I want to know about it???

And, like, why see a show that doesn't have Idina? I mean, like, she's a GODDESS! Oh my god, she is!

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#20re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 1:51pm

I don't know if I'd put Loretta Divine in this category either. She's more into movies and TV. So, its not like she's suddently vanished. We know the direction she's taken her career in. I heard they wanted her for Motormouth in Hairspray and also that she was doing Ma' Rainey in LA. I'd love for her to make a comeback along with Jennifer Holiday. It's sad but roles are not being written for women like these 2.

ponine24601
#21re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 1:54pm

this isn't the best one hit wonder, but it's the only one i can think of right now.

frances ruffelle- les mis

"People asking questions, lost in confusion. Well I tell them there's no problems, only solutions." ~The one and only John Lennon

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#22re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 2:06pm

Carl Anderson was never in the Broadway production of JCS. Ben Vereen, Patrick Jude and Tony Vincent have been Broadway's only Judas Iscariots (excluding replacements, for which I couldn't find any). Carl Anderson was briefly seen on Broadway in the short-lived musical Play On, but it was not a "one hit wonder" performance.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 9/3/04 at 02:06 PM

Type_A_Tiff
#23re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 2:24pm

Yeah, I should've clarified that I meant the movie.

Updated On: 9/3/04 at 02:24 PM

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#24re: Best One Hit Wonder!
Posted: 9/3/04 at 2:29pm

But I guess I should define what I'd consider a one-hit wonder. It doesn't mean necessarily that they never worked again - they may have worked again, but nothing that gave them the exposure, attention, or accolades of that one piece of work.

OK, but we can't always top ourselves over and over again.

(Not without a very naughty toy, anyway.)

Updated On: 9/3/04 at 02:29 PM

Videos