Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:30pm

What was the show you couldn't wait to see, and when you
did were sorely disappointed?
Updated On: 10/11/04 at 03:30 PM

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#1re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:32pm

Les Miz.. it was great but i thought it'd be better.

Wicked Witch of the West

#2re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:32pm

Phantom of the Opera.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#3re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:33pm

Really? i was thinking on going to see that.

Wicked Witch of the West

Mattio98
#4re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:35pm

DGrant, you took the words out of my mouth. Defnitely Phantom of the Opera. I walked out of there wishing that they'd put the Yeston/Kopit version on Broadway instead.

B.B. Wolf
#5re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:38pm

Yup, Phantom of the OPera. 'Course the night that I went (about seven years ago) they were having sound problems all night. When "Maestro!" was proclaimed onstage, the "deafening" Phantom theme came out like a little Casio laptop keyboard. I restrained my guffaws. But I definitely giggled. :)

Word. Word, indeed.

wildparty20 Profile Photo
wildparty20
#6re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:38pm

I felt that way about The Producers. There was so much hype, and I was so excited, and after all the Tonys... then I went and was VERY disappointed. Not the hit of the century I was expecting.

From the evil she done Lord Set her free, Set her free, Set me free Don't let my sorrow Make evil of me

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#7re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:39pm

Thoroughly Modern Millie.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

Sant
#8re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:41pm

I don't know which was a bigger disappointment:

Miss Saigon or
The Producers.

Ruth Sherwood Profile Photo
Ruth Sherwood
#9re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:42pm

Phantom and the Producers

"Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one." -Stella Adler

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#10re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:46pm

I think it would have to be Wicked for me - after reading the book, I was hoping for (and expecting) something very dark and much deeper on a psychological level. What I got was fluff with an altered story, which really pissed me off.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

saddle shoe side kick
#11re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:47pm

Wicked : Way to much hype for an average show. I left very dissapointed and people always give me grief about it.

"I'm a pretty girl, mama." -Penny Lou Pingleton, Hairspray
"You like football, Ed?" "Yeah..." "Good. Me too." -Chad & 'Ed', All Shook Up
Updated On: 10/11/04 at 03:47 PM

Chrysanthemum62001
#12re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:48pm

Hairspray

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#13re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:51pm

Wicked... it could have been so much better... for me...

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#14re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:51pm

the producers...it was good, but not 12 tonys worth of good

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

#15re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 3:56pm

The Opposite of Sex

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#16re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 4:39pm

Phantom

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Kris2 Profile Photo
Kris2
#17re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 4:45pm

Probably Miss Saigon. I loved the cast recording and then I went to see the show on Broadway and found it lacking. Most of the performances were forgettable imo, with the exception of Ruthie Henshall as Ellen and Luoyong Wang as the Engineer. I also found the helicopter to be clunky and not at all dramatic. The set was very stark and cold. I still think the show itself was good, but I was disappointed. I would see it again with a different cast and more intimate set hopefully.

Also Hairspray. I wasn't as superexcited for this one, but I loved the movie and knew a little less than half the music going in. Enjoyed it, but I found it dragged in some points and didn't engage me all that much. Certain parts of the show were just hit or miss. I was actually bored during You Can't Stop the Beat and it's a song with a built-in energy. I felt bad for being so detached. They were really giving it their all up there and I just couldn't get into it that much at the end. Disappointing. I would like to revisit the show some day and give it another chance. Possibly with Serge Kushnier as Link . . .

I find if I go in with lower expectations, I usually end up pleasantly surprised. It's just easier that way.

lovettespies Profile Photo
lovettespies
#18re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 4:50pm

Les Miz. Master of the House is the only song I still remember or care to remember. I respect people who like it, and I understand why they do. I just feel that if you're going to choose such depressing material you need to include SOME upbeat songs or the audience will leave bored and confused. All the songs feel like funeral dirges to me.

Keep the peace, take care of each other, and may you find your promised land. -TJST

venticelli Profile Photo
venticelli
#19re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 4:52pm

I was very disappointed by The Producers. I guess it's incredibly difficult to live up to that kind of hype/buzz - still a fun show.

"What could a computer do with a lifetime supply of chocolate? I am now telling the computer exactly what it can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate!"

LindsayAnne
#20re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 6:28pm

It wasn't on Broadway, but the last time I saw The Full Monty was one of the most disappointing theatre experiences I've had to date. I saw it about a year & a half ago w/my friend when the tour came to Hartford, & we both loved it. We had so much fun at that show, & when it came back through CT back in April, we decided to go again, since it was such a good time the year before. The energy just wasn't there; we ended up with a mediocre performance of a great show. It was a sad situation.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#21re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 6:48pm

The Lion King definetely The Lion King

Oh and I was pleasantly surprised with Bounce even though I know many hated it.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

lovettespies Profile Photo
lovettespies
#22re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 6:50pm

Bounce was okay, I just wanted something more and I didn't really like the plot.

Keep the peace, take care of each other, and may you find your promised land. -TJST

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#23re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 6:53pm

The Lion King and Hairspray.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#24re: Most disappointed?
Posted: 10/11/04 at 6:53pm

Chicago...
I loved the music but it wasn't what I expected. But I don't regret seeing it, and I shouldn't say I was "sorely" disappointed. Just not one of my favorites.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611