pixeltracker

This should be fun... but difficult

This should be fun... but difficult

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#0This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/27/04 at 10:28pm

We are trying to figure out what show our school should do next year, but it has to be a musical. We have one strong girl and one strong boy singing wise. With dance, one strong boy and two or three strong girls. Also, we need a show with a chorus... who don't do much and without many male parts. lol We're much better at acting... The shows we have done so you don't pick one...
-Guys and Dolls
-South Pacific
-Cinderella
-Anything Goes
-FAME
-Annie
-Once Upon A Mattress
Any suggestions??

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/27/04 at 10:30pm

The Music Man

One conflict is the quartet - four male singers. Either hire an outside quartet company, or see if you have four singers who can do it.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#2re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/27/04 at 10:31pm

Little Shop of Horrors.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

broadwaybound3 Profile Photo
broadwaybound3
#3re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/27/04 at 10:35pm

i second little shop. if you have a good crew for the plant.

Type_A_Tiff
#4re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/27/04 at 10:39pm

^^ Mm-hmm. The plant's important. I think Guys And Dolls, Fame and Annie would be difficult to do without several strong singers. Esp if you don't have too many strong male dancers.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#5re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/27/04 at 10:44pm

My Fair Lady
Little Shop

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

broadwaybound3
#6re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/27/04 at 10:48pm

yea- for little shop you need 1 good female singer and 2 good males. The plant talker doesnt have to be on stage so you just need a good bass. Sorry, i love this show so im gonna push it. You can increase the cast of girls and have multiple backup guys. No dancing- very funny tho. think about it! (wow, im a dork)

Type_A_Tiff
#7re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/27/04 at 10:53pm

I'm not even really a LSOH fan, but I think it would be a fun show to put on for a high school. Yeah, you'd need two strong males, but I think for Orin, as long as the actor is really a scene-stealer and has the charisma to pull it off, he doesn't need to have a great singing voice. Audrey and Seymour need to be really strong though.

Hmm...is there much of an ensemble? I can't remember. I just know you'll need 3 doowop girls - maybe those are your strong dancers?

broadwaybound3
#8re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/27/04 at 10:56pm

if you want more people involved when i saw a high school do it at a state conference they had about 15ish girls for the backups but for some of ths scenes when they show up in the window, it was three. When i saw another company do it they had the principles, three girls, the plant, and two other guys. so tops? you need 10ish people.

#9re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/27/04 at 11:34pm

Your high school also needs to be able to spend money for LSOH. Those plants are not inexpensive.

You can get more people by having Orin only be Orin. It takes a lot of jokes out, but it's okay for high school and it gives more people a chance to act/sing. In The Meek Shall Inherit alone you have 3 other characters you can add (I once saw a production where 'the editor's wife of Life magazine' had her husband--the editor--by the arm. He just didn't say anything. It was funny)

sean martin
#10re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 1:29am

I'd lean more towards GUYS or MATTRESS, given the breakdown of what you have available. GUYS might be a little difficult to cast, given the lack of men, but you could still make it work. MATTRESS sounds like it would be custom-made. Sure, both shows have been done to death, but then so has everything else on the list.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

emonkeygirl Profile Photo
emonkeygirl
#11re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 1:36pm

Bye Bye Birdie has only a few major singing roles, most can be acted strongly in lieu of fantastic singers. You just need a good Elvis-y type singer...

It's hot and it's monotonous. I want my glasses.

WOSQ
#12re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 1:40pm

South Pacific

It has very little real choreography. The numbers are staged.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

jacobtsf Profile Photo
jacobtsf
#13re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 1:42pm

Having directed LSOH for a high school (and also playing Mushnick) I would say do it.

David walked into the valley With a stone clutched in his hand He was only a boy But he knew someone must take a stand There will always be a valley Always mountains one must scale There will always be perilous waters Which someone must sail -Into the Fire Scarlet Pimpernel

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#14re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 2:33pm

The Scarlet Pimpernel was fun. We did it my senior year. The only thing with that is that the bounders have some smaller singig roles so you need at least 7 guys who can carry a tune to do it...

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#15re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 2:37pm

If you guys are all really good actors with one major male and female singing voice and a few good dancers, you should do Kiss Me, Kate.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

sean martin
#16re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 2:52pm

Sorry, just noticed these were shows you'd already done.

For something that will work to that mix not on the list? THE BOY FRIEND (fun, mindless, easy to stage) or, if you dont mind getting a little obscure, ME AND JULIET.

"That duck was a sexual toy, and it was on display!" -- an unknown Nashville town leader

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#17re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 3:17pm

our high school did Mame, cuz all we had were two good female singers for Mame and Vera. The one strong male singer played Mame's nephew, when he becomes older. I think we borrowed a young boy somewhere to play the young nephew part.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#18re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 4:11pm

Ragtime. We didn't have many good singers at my school, but we pulled it off brilliantly. Strong acting parts. Also, my school has done most of the shows that you listed, so there's no reason why you can't do this one.

Barnaby12345 Profile Photo
Barnaby12345
#19re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 4:43pm

Students generally don't like older musicals so anything more contemporary would probablly attract more people and would be more enjoyable for the students. Beauty and the Beast or even Aida sounds like fun. We did Sweet Charity which was pretty decent too. Updated On: 10/28/04 at 04:43 PM

brdwaybaby17 Profile Photo
brdwaybaby17
#20re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 6:04pm

Heck no, we could not do Ragtime... lol I was in it earlier this year... and I'm pretty sure that you actually have to show up for rehearsal... I have been pushing for LSOH for about a year, because I want to be Audrey and I know people who can build the plant for a school project, but our director doesn't think it has enough people. I also said The Music Man, because I want to be Marian lol, but another turndown... She's a very picky woman... you wonder where she got the shows she did then.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#21re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 6:09pm

Damn Yankees could be perfect if they are all strong actors. Otherwise the show will die on you. And the guys have to be relatively strong dancers.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#22re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 6:16pm

Little Shop...not much dancing but...
Wonderful Town would be good also but its very hard to choreograph.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#23re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 9:00pm

Little Shop of Horrors

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

#24re: This should be fun... but difficult
Posted: 10/28/04 at 10:44pm

Check out Once on This Island... Yes, at first glance, it is an all black cast, but they have all of the changes necessary in the back of the script just so that groups like high schools can perform it. My high school did it a couple of years ago, and it's really great ensemble piece. Everyone works together to keep the show going and great. Also, the harmonies aren't as complicated as they look at first glance. A lot of the parts are doubled in octaves which makes for easier singing. Have fun!

Videos