Crackage

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#0Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:01am

Has anyone seen a major voice crack by a professional during a show??? I witnessed a rather unfortunate one: in the national tour of Phantom; he was belting the A in music of the night and as soon as he hit the note, it was evident he had placed it incorrectly and half way thru it was a pretty bad crack...it was sad...I have had my fair share too...my vocal director encouraged me to belt the A at the end of Suddenly Seymour in our musical review...in rehearsal it went well....opening night...not sooo much...really bad crack...hadn't warmed up properly....anyway...anyone???

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:02am

Adam Pascal in RENT
Idina Menzel in WICKED

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:03am

Yup, seconding the Pascal. Love him dearly, but OUCH.

He used to squeak in Aida. Once was amusing, more than that was painful.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 11/23/04 at 02:03 AM

Chrysanthemum62001
#3re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:04am

It also occured often in Aida.

Oh, by the way. I loved that when I clicked on this title I had no idea what I was about to be reading!

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

luvtheEmcee
#4re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:05am

re: Crackage
I updated; can't forget THAT "note." *sigh*

Chrysanthemum62001
#5re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:07am

Sorry Emcee, didn't mean to step on your toes! re: Crackage

I've probably heard Raúl Esparza crack a bit too, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

luvtheEmcee
#6re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:08am

My toes are just fine.

Raul doesn't crack. He is perfect. re: Crackage

munkustrap178
#7re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:09am

Actually, thanks for reminding me!

Raul Esparza - TABOO

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Chrysanthemum62001
#8re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:17am

Oh Emcee, I totally misread your last post!

luvtheEmcee
#9re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:19am

*confusion*

andyf
#10re: Crackage

And I was all ready to place an order...

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#11re: Crackage

Patrick Wilson - The Full Monty, final high note on the song "Man." Good to know that even the stars of B'way are human too.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

luvtheEmcee
#12re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:21am

eek. I love that last note in "Man." No, I just love Patrick's voice. Still... re: Crackage
C'est la vie. They're human... and I can't sing for sh*t, so I'll shut up.

munkustrap178
#13re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:21am

Tonya Pinkins - CAROLINE, OR CHANGE
Aaron Lohr - BARE
Eden Espinoza - BROOKLYN

andyf
#14re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 2:27am

Moeisha McGill - Story Goes On

Hahahaha as if that's even possible...flawless.

Continue.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#15re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:03am

I've seen some really bad cracks from some of the best, most-respected people in the business. I won't say who because they all are amazing performers and it happens to everyone. But I've seen some nasty ones!

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#16re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 4:02am

Non-equity RENT tour last year the SOL soloist was all "Measure your life in laaaaoo--" and just couldnt hit the note. You could tell she was horribly embarrassed....the audience gave her a nice cheer anyways.

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#17re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 8:38am

One of the very first notes Drew Lachey sang in Rent was when Drew's voice cracked...and it went all downhill from there =(

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#18re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 11:33am

a lot of the sophies in MAMMA MIA during that note in thank you for the music "what a chanceeeeee" i've seen quite a few cracks. But, somehow they always get better during the show. I LOVE U TINA MADDIGAN!!! bway needs her back (shameless plug).

B.B. Wolf
#19re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 1:51pm

Of course there's the FAMOUS Colm Wilkinson crack on the high Bb in "Who Am I?"
That one got recorded. Man, it's horrific. Heh heh heh. re: Crackage

Word. Word, indeed.

bwaymyway
#20re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 1:56pm

Well, I have heard quite a few, but I'm a singer, and I know how it is so I won't go into detail...
except for one.

In one Wicked performance, Sean McCourt went up to that high note for "obscene" and his voice cracked in the middle of it. He played it off VERY well, but it was still hilarious to everyone who knew what was going on.

but most of all i yearn to be astonishing...

#21re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:44pm

idina in wicked, when i saw it, was QUITE unfortunate. oh well.

also, its not cracking, but hitting a wrong note:...if you want to see Eden Espinosa messing up PRETTY badly, watch the "Brooklyn in Reahearsals Tape @ broadway.com when she says "Now once upon a time has NEVER felt more right" ...never is less than perfect. way less. but alas, i love her. although sometimes i feel that her head is going to blow off when she tries to hit some of the notes!

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#22re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 6:15pm

ummm...Eden always sounds like that...she is not meant to belt...what she is doing is shouting from her throat...

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#23re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 10:15pm

no offense dickon, but are you a voice teacher? Have you ever heard her sing live? this has nothing to do with brooklyn..im just asking if you've seen her in wicked or bklyn or are you just saying the same thing you said about your bootleg copy of shoshana bean in wicked and how awful SHE sounded.

FindingNamo
#24re: Crackage
Posted: 11/23/04 at 10:38pm

I was engineering a recording session by a new group called The Brady Six. I never HEARD such a crack as the middle kid made on the chorus. Needless to say, they were reduced to performing on TV talent shows after that.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Videos