News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?

What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#0What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:24pm

I think it's LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS--when Audrey II comes out and attacks the whole audience! What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?

What's yours?

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:26pm

Cabaret; not because it's something that you ENJOY sitting through, but because it left a serious impact.

Jeez. That's like my third "I heart Cabaret" post in five minutes. Can you tell what musical is on my mind today? re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 11/23/04 at 03:26 PM

FabalaCohen
#2re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:28pm

Phantom. It's a bit open-ended, but I like it like that.

"During this performance, please feel free to let your cell phones and pagers ring willy-nilly. However, do remember that there are heavily-armed knights on stage and you might well be dragged up and impaled." (Pre-curtain announcement at the new Broadway musical Monty Python's Spamalot)

#3re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:29pm

Two:

Avenue Q and (gasp) Wicked. I'm not the biggest fan of the musical, I think it's ok, but I love the Wizard of Oz, so to see parallels was so cool.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#4re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?

I was about to say that - when Meg picks up the Phantom's mask at the end when he just "disappears".

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#5re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?

Yes, Emcee.

I remember one theater critic writing (I forget which one): "At the end of Fiddler of The Roof, Tevye still has his faith. At the end of Man of La Mancha, Don Quixote still has his dream. At the end of Cabaret, the characters are all over-run by Nazi domination and a world war."

"I say YOU'RE the CUTEST one. No, I say YOU'RE the CUTEST One. And we go on like that from dawn to three."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#6re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:31pm

*nods*

I'm hardly ever completely silent after a show. My mother thought something was terribly wrong with me that night.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#7re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:32pm

Phantom, Wicked, Gypsy, Producers

Mary_Ethel Profile Photo
Mary_Ethel
#8re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:34pm

Elphaba3, I think its critical that in GYPSY the authors add a short scene after "Rose's Turn" where Rose and Louise reconcile.

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#9re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:35pm

i love You Cant Stop The Beat at the end of Hairspray, and when Tracy says E=everybody lets dance

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#10re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:36pm

I know, Mary-Ethel. :) I love that part as well. "And the headline said, Madame Rose...and her daughter, Gypsy!"

Yankeefan007
#11re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 3:50pm

bklyn, just because its over

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#12re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 4:42pm

FOLLIES

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#13re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:13pm

Les Miz. I love the redemptive and cathartic quality of it.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

BEKA531
#14re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:21pm

RENT. when mimi comes "back to life" and the cast sings "NO DAY BUT TODAY"... which is what i live by. re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending? Updated On: 11/23/04 at 05:21 PM

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#15re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:28pm

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."
Updated On: 11/23/04 at 05:28 PM

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#16re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 6:18pm

Aida has a very cool ending...Unique and Mushy!!! re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Into the Woods is a flawless show (the original) and the ending is very moving!!!

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

jesseeinstein
#17re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 6:48pm

All about Parade! Every musical should end with a hanging.
----
... wow I'm gonna be bashed for this one-(it's a joke)

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#18re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 7:01pm

I agree with jesseeinstein, Parade has a very powerful ending. I also think that Phantom of the Opera has one of the best endings!

BUT.....

In my opinion, the musical with the most amazing ending is from the German musical "Elisabeth". The finale is truely one of the most powerful endings I have ever seen as well as heard. This musical is screaming to open in New York eventually!

Later!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

Razz77 Profile Photo
Razz77
#19re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 7:15pm

If anyone has seen the most recent revival of "Pacific Overtures", they will probably say that that has a great ending. Even if it isn't necessarily brilliant or appropriate (although I think its quite smart), the last five minutes of the show are nothing short of EXHILIRATING.

Also, who can resist the end of Hairspray. You leave the theatre wanting to hug people and buy cotton candy.

#20re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 7:15pm

Into the Woods
A New Brain

BWIDB Charlie
#21re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 7:20pm

Hm, that makes me wonder... what shows would be better if the main character(s) were killed off during it?

Discuss.

Charlie
magicpiane@kc.rr.com

BWayBoy88
#22re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 7:34pm

I would have to say Les Miz also. When Fantine comes out, and then Eponine, and then they take Valjean-I cried everytime I saw it.

PleaseChangeMe
#23re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 7:37pm

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Caroline, or Change. The whole last couple scenes are filled with the most beautiful melodies ever created. Then, to top it off, with the Epilogue, Emmie's Dream. Wow.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#24re: What Musical Do You Think Has The Best Ending?
Posted: 11/23/04 at 7:48pm

Cabaret and Into the Woods. I am in love with both shows and they have AMAZING endings.

Videos