pixeltracker

What shows should be given another chance?- Page 4

What shows should be given another chance?

#75re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/14/04 at 2:44am

Two Gentlemen of Verona was really of its time. the John Guarre script and lyrics are quite good though and the score is energetic--if nowhere as good as Galt's previous Hair score.

Follies I think can't be seen as a flop as it did get a revival (albeit not a great one) and the original went thru multiple cast changes and had a limited second engagement in LA--hardly a flop. It didn't make back its profits--but that's cuz it was outrageously expensive for its time, and had a *massive* original cast--if it had been Company, say, it woulda made a small profit.

Company ran for 2 and a bit years (it ran while FOllies was running) and is the third longest running sondheim show (after Forum and Into the Woods)--made a profit, had a London production withthe same production and a very successful tour. Hardly a flop. And a midly successful revival.

I'm in agreement with LaChiusa's Wild Party, as I mentioned I think. I don't care for Lippa's--some fun performances and songs but it misses the whole feel and tone IMHO. LaChiusa's is GREAT, had a killer cast, his most accessible score, and is spot on in its atmosphere. It was probably too much for audiences--there was hope it'd win the some Tonys and run longer but it was shut out largely (poor LaChiusa was up 4 times that year--for book and score for both marie Christine and Wild Party--brilliant brilliant scores and lost to... Aida. UGH)

Shame more of LaChiusa's work at the least hasn't all been recorded...

E Updated On: 12/14/04 at 02:44 AM

#76re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/14/04 at 5:58am

Gotta agree with Dream true--sounded fascinating--I almost wish it was recorded instead of Gordon's other show Life with Albertine--though I do love that score (mostly)

As for Marie Christine and LaCHiusa's Wild Party I think they just needed a bit more revision. Both have thrilling scores--Marie Cristine, dramatically does have problems though, but not unsalvageable ones.

Here's a choice that's prob not gonna be popular--Whistle Down the Wind. I'm not a huge ALW fan (though I have a soft spot for Steinman), btu I saw this in London and was so happily surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Surely it deserves some life on Broadway or at least a tour, if the Wildhorn messes can make it here.

E Updated On: 12/14/04 at 05:58 AM

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#77re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/14/04 at 10:59am

AMEN to dance of the vampires I LOVE THAT SHOW!!!!!!!! I defiantely think if it went on tour it would have a chance.

Also, Side Show! The Wild Party - Andrew Lippa I personally perfer it

Our camp did an off-broadway show of this group called "Our Time Cabaret" at one point...it really is great music...I would love to see it and I thnk that it COULD work if publisized right :)

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

Anne5122 Profile Photo
Anne5122
#78re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/14/04 at 11:53am

I think Marie Christine. The character of Dante wasn't strong enough and Marie got lost in the second act. If they fixed those problems, I think it should be given another chance.

The phrase "working mother" is redundant. -Jane Sellman-

Sant
#79re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/14/04 at 1:18pm

SUNSET BOULEVARD. Great score and a brilliant story. Should be made without focusing so much on getting a real-life star to lead the cast or on 'we have the biggest set on Broadway'. Of course a big name sells the show better, but it can also turn out to be "a dead end".

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#80re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/14/04 at 1:28pm

Chess

it gets one of the best score. BB's music is charming and Rice's lyrics is wonderful.

The roles are interesting. The script gets problem but can be fixed. The stage scene would be a big chanllenge .

liveforeverybreath Profile Photo
liveforeverybreath
#81re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/14/04 at 2:19pm

Secret Garden

twogaab2
#82re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/14/04 at 2:52pm

Do I Hear a Waltz.

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

misterchoi
#83re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/14/04 at 2:55pm

Seussical
MErrily we roll along

Caroline, or change...poor thing.

"Yesterday is done. See the pretty countryside. Merrily we roll along, roll along- catching at dreams."- Merrily we roll along "The living was the prize, the ending's not the story."- Elegies, a song cycle

rmposey Profile Photo
rmposey
#84re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/15/04 at 1:47pm

Amour!!!!

I should have eaten the saw and used the cake to bludgeon my way out - Alfred Hitchcock

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#85re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 12/15/04 at 2:14pm

With some MAJOR reworking of the book, Chess. I just love the music so much...it could work!

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

sisterofmercy Profile Photo
sisterofmercy
#86re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 8:34am

Oh, yes. The Grass Harp.. PULEEEEEEZEEE!!!!!!

AbsolutKnight Profile Photo
AbsolutKnight
#87re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 8:53am

<------ I agree with Chess obviously. hehe

I would LOVE to see a production that comes closest to the original London production (not the concept album). I am a bit obsessed with the Danish recording. With of course the much needed changes to the book, but leave the music the way it is for the most part.

broadwayalto01 Profile Photo
broadwayalto01
#88re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 10:20am

Side Show
Ragtime
Dance of the Vampires
Carrie
Wild Party
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

Life is like a patio door, you never know which side is open... and then you run into the glass.... ~Connie and Carla

broadwayalto01 Profile Photo
broadwayalto01
#89re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 10:21am

Side Show
Ragtime
Dance of the Vampires
Carrie
Wild Party
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

I am sure there are others !!!

Life is like a patio door, you never know which side is open... and then you run into the glass.... ~Connie and Carla

operadiva1979 Profile Photo
operadiva1979
#90re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/5/05 at 12:23pm

Jekyll & Hyde and Candide (because if Candide came back I'd have a job!)

onceadancer2 Profile Photo
onceadancer2
#91re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/6/05 at 11:38am

ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. I saw the original and loved it. Yes, there were some long stretches, but overall it was an inspired production. And Coleman's music, parodying parody and actually getting away with it. By the way, if anyone is thinking of casting a new production I would be an outstanding Mrs. Primrose.

Miriam

Every movement has a meaning--but what the hell does it mean!

ElTico68 Profile Photo
ElTico68
#92re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/6/05 at 2:11pm

I second "Chess", keep it in 1984/1985 as a "period" piece and do some tweaking to the book. The whole "updating" of the show is what brought it down.

"Taboo"... from friends who saw it both in London and NYC... they should've kept it more like the London production, more intimate. Maybe at Studio 54?

Happy, smile! Sad, frown! Use the corresponding face with the corresponding emotion! - Kate (Meg Ryan), French Kiss

twogaab2
#93re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/6/05 at 4:02pm

How about somethings that hasn't already been produced in the last 10 years.

Allegro
70 Girls 70

Both were shows that deserved better than they got on the first go-round

TWOGAAB "A Class Act" will never die!

ashbash6819 Profile Photo
ashbash6819
#94re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/6/05 at 5:01pm

Jane Eyre....love that one!!!!

"Where are we headed? Judy- "Over the god-damn rainbow"- Boy from Oz

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#95re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/6/05 at 5:04pm

ZANNA DON'T!!!!!!!!!!

Dance of Death

Triumph Of Love

YAGMCB

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

belterboi Profile Photo
belterboi
#96re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/6/05 at 5:44pm

Side Show....if the book got fixed such a great show with awesome music....I also think Amour hads a special something about it..and the wild party...both versions :)

CJR
#97re: What shows should be given another chance?
Posted: 1/6/05 at 5:49pm

Hollywood Arms

I loved that show

"You're every gay man's wet dream!" ~ MA

If in Heaven you don't excel, you can always party down in hell...