Gavin Creel in La Cage

NativeNewYorker
#0Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/28/04 at 11:27pm

I thought he deserved his own thread...he is completely wonderful and adorable in this show. I was worried his part would be too small, but it was a nice-sized role and it was so great to see him on stage again. I loved when he sang "With Anne on my Arm" and fell back on the couch, kicking his legs in the air...and his last number sounded beautiful! Just charming and gorgeous and pure Gavin.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#1re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/28/04 at 11:33pm

Gavin is the cat's meow. Wonderful actor, singer and songwriter.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 11/28/04 at 11:33 PM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#2re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/28/04 at 11:34pm

I can't wait to see him. He was fantastic in Millie!
And he is very very sweet. Like candy.

MauveRose
#3re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/28/04 at 11:36pm

Yes, Gavin is quite wonderful in the show, very Jimmy/Bill-esque, which I looove. I don't think he gets to show off his voice all that much, but its still a great role for him. I wonder if its big enough though to get him a tony nod for featured actor....

Is it sad I'm planning out the awards already?

Don't make me brag. ;)

Broadway Matt Profile Photo
Broadway Matt
#4re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/28/04 at 11:39pm

he very well may get a nod for featured, but that award will likely go to someone in SPAMALOT. I'm more curious to see if both Gary and Daniel get nominted for Leading. (I guess I'm kinda sad too re: Gavin Creel in La Cage)

"The last train out of any station will not be full of nice guys." - Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"I wash my face, then drink beer, then I weep. Say a prayer and induce insincere self-abuse, till I'm fast asleep"- In Trousers

MauveRose
#5re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/28/04 at 11:52pm

I think Gary will, I don't know about Daniel though....and didn't George Hearn win for that role in the original cast?

Don't make me brag. ;)

andyf
#6re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 12:02am

Hahaha, Native...before I realized YOU started this thread, I was about to be like "NO WAY, NATIVE AND I WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT THIS!!!!"

It's OK, I was dropped on my head. re: Gavin Creel in La Cage

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#7re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 2:57am

Ooooh, Gavin :)

GirlfriendFromCanada
#8re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 1:10pm

I thought he did well with what he had to work with, but was surprised by how little he had to work with.

Not to mention that from the distance I was seeing the show from, I kept thinking he was Sebastian Arcelus. Don't ask me why. Would NOT leave my brain. On that note, Seb would do great with the role as well.

But yeah, it didn't make me say "I LOVE GAVIN!" like I hoped it would (I've heard so many good things!) but it's hard to tell if that was his fault, or just the placement of the character.

junglered Profile Photo
junglered
#9re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 1:13pm

Many praises for Gavin!

dididda Profile Photo
dididda
#10re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 1:32pm

i actually rented eloise at christmastime the other day to watch with my little cousin, was so happy that he was in it. I DO adore him. very very much

""the gays love their presents. just wave something shiny in front of their faces, you can get whatever you want. Thats how we got manhattan from the gay indians" -Karen (W&G)"

G Profile Photo
G
#11re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 1:47pm

Gavin is the gayest thing in this show - and he's supposed to play straight! It's ridiculous.

Tommycanuhearme Profile Photo
Tommycanuhearme
#12re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 3:12pm

After seeing the show's fourth preview. The only thing his performance inspired me to say was Gavin, get a haircut!

Mythus
#13re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 3:29pm

Tommy, I disagree. The ponytail makes him look young, and Jean-Michel is supposed to be young (and a little immature at times). You saw the fourth preview? Was that the night show on November 13th? If so, that's the show I went to. Cool.

G Profile Photo
G
#14re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 3:31pm

I couldn't be more with you on that one, Tommy!! That ponytail AND the tight longsleeve...what were they thinking?!!

LoringsGuy
#15re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 3:36pm

Personally, I'd love to see Gavin in tight ANYTHING.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

Tommycanuhearme
#16re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 3:48pm

I also saw the matinee on 11/26/04 and was happy to see the ponytail gone!! Now he just needs a hairstyle.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#17re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 4:17pm

Yay for Gavin!

And never mind his tight shirts...the pants he wears throughout the entire show are sooo tight!

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

PJ
#18re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 4:22pm

Since Gavin wears tight clothing in La Cage, I definitely need to see this revival!

And as for Gavin's hair, I love it! I hope he doesn't cut it.

Yankeefan007
#19re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 4:23pm

gavin should have been the one singing i am what i am....he was gayer than beach, and beach wore a dress through the whole thing

Tommycanuhearme
#20re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 5:13pm

In this production; I feel that Jean-Michel's sloppy and somewhat unkept appearance might have been more of an issue with Anne's ultra-conservative parents then ultimately finding out that Georges and Albin are his parents.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#21re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 5:59pm

a ponytail? i am SOOOOO glad he got rid of that before i saw it!!

RIP glebby <3

WhatDoINeedWithLove?
#22re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 6:48pm

He didn't get rid of the long hair, he wears a wig.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#23re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 7:00pm

they're covering up his own hair that's too long with a wig that's too long?

RIP glebby <3

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#24re: Gavin Creel in La Cage
Posted: 11/29/04 at 7:01pm

I just thought his hair was slicked back.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Videos