Most annoying songs

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#50re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/2/03 at 10:49pm

Most annoying theater songs? I'd definately have to go with "Memory" from Cats (hate it hate it HATE IT!!!!)...heck, just about anything from Cats. And "In My Life" from Les Miz...my favorite show, but God I hate Cosette.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#51re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/3/03 at 9:27am

I think that some of these contributors to this thread will shudder at what they have posted here, if they have the chance to re-read this when they mature. Some of these songs here are listed as "annoying", but a lot of these songs are Musical Theatre classics. I dunno. I think we are in a lot of trouble when a song like "A Boy Like That" is considered annoying, and "Forget About the Boy" is rendered a classic. Interesting indeed.

Cheers,
The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

lc1965 Profile Photo
lc1965
#52re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/3/03 at 9:36am

HALF the songs from Gypsy, esp. anything that the kids sing. I realize that the kids are SUPPOSED to be annoying, but they're a little too good at it!

Murder By Music at Dillons 9/9, 16, 23, 30 www.murderbymusic.com

rlbgbc Profile Photo
rlbgbc
#53re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/3/03 at 9:38am

Good point, Balladeer.

Annoying songs? Hmmmm. "Seasons of Love" - RENT. "The Naming of Cats" - CATS [can that be termed a song?]

Thoroughly Modern Cara Profile Photo
Thoroughly Modern Cara
#54re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/6/03 at 1:49pm

most of the songs from South Pacific!!

MusicMan
#55re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/7/03 at 1:35am

Updated On: 11/7/03 at 01:35 AM

lensman55 Profile Photo
lensman55
#56 re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/7/03 at 9:24am

>BWY_MILL_FAN makes a a very perceptive comment. "The >Impossible Dream" in MAN OF LA MANCHA doesn't advance the >plot. Perhaps it should be cut from all future productions.

It may not advance the plot, but it presents the character as something more than a loony in rusty armor.

"This is what I am, this is what I stand for."

It's what causes Aldonza to see the dream for at least a little while.

"I Put My Hand In" has to be one of the most annoying songs I've ever heard. Followed closely by pretty much anything in "The Music Man."

"Now and then life hits you on the back of the head with a sock full of wet porridge. How you handle that is up to you." - Tim Rice

fyffe Profile Photo
fyffe
#57re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/7/03 at 10:17am

i agreee with the person who mentioned South Pacific....
and here are a few others that I loathe.

the pineapple song from CABARET-- hate it
another pyramid and like father, like son from AIDA--boring
rare song birds on display from SIDE SHOW

did I rock the family boat by dining on the help?-LESTAT

Gothampc
#58re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/7/03 at 10:32am

The new revival of "Wonderful Town" brings out one of the most annoying songs:

"Why oh, why oh, why oh, Why did I ever leave Ohio?"

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Hank
#59re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/7/03 at 10:38am

I don't know the title, but that song from RENT with all those numbers about time units. You know the one I mean.

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#60re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/12/03 at 3:13pm

Ooooookay:

1. The entire score of JOSEPH...

2. The entire score of ASPECTS OF LOVE

3. The entire score of RAISIN

4. The entire score of GODSPELL

5. The entire score of RENT

6. The entire score of AIDA

Princess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
#61re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/12/03 at 4:24pm

"Ooooookay:

1. The entire score of JOSEPH...

2. The entire score of ASPECTS OF LOVE

3. The entire score of RAISIN

4. The entire score of GODSPELL

5. The entire score of RENT

6. The entire score of AIDA"

oh come on, get real! I know we all have different opinions but this is ridiculous lol I refuse to believe any sane threatre lover can say the ENTIRE score of RENT or AIDA is annoying!! You may not like all the songs, but the entire score? =P puh-leez!!!

Gothampc
#62re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/12/03 at 5:11pm

Princess, do not work under the assumption that MisterRussell is a sane theatre lover. Anyone that doesn't see the beauty in Aspects of Love or Godspell is deaf.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

newyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
#63re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/12/03 at 5:25pm

Just because you like Rent princess doesn't mean everyone has to.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#64re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/12/03 at 5:34pm

Everything from the Music Man, unless Kristin Chenoweth is singing it.

And Guys and Dolls, OY.

Many of the songs from RENT can become annoying too. Updated On: 11/23/03 at 05:34 PM

bestofbroadway
#65re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/12/03 at 6:56pm

"Everything from the Music Man, unless Kristin Chenoweth is singing it."

I'm sorry BroadwayGirl107- While I ADORE and I mean ADORE Kristin Chenoweth she was GOD AWFUL in The Music Man (completely miscast.) Her and Matthew Broderick combined made me think for a while that I hated The Music Man...but it just isn't the case. The Music Man is a true American Musical and brilliantly written....um TROUBLE- need I say more.

And I'm sorry but I don't see the hatred towards Guys and Dolls either.

I find it interesting the factions on this board. We have tastes on this board that are so extreme....but that's the beauty of theater.

lensman55 Profile Photo
lensman55
#66re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/12/03 at 7:40pm

I have to agree with Bye Bye Birdie. I did the father in that show in high school and I thought the mediocre production was just because we were all stupid high school kids... then the director played the cast album and I realized it was just a sucky score!

"Now and then life hits you on the back of the head with a sock full of wet porridge. How you handle that is up to you." - Tim Rice

Princess MimiChica
#67re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/12/03 at 7:55pm

"Princess, do not work under the assumption that MisterRussell is a sane theatre lover. "

that was my mistake, I apologize =)

"Just because you like Rent princess doesn't mean everyone has to."

did my post say "EVERYONE HAS TO LOVE RENT!"? if it does, I don't see it..if you look, I said i understand we all have different opinions, but anyone who lists the ENTIRE score of SIX different shows as "annoying" really can;t be considered sane...

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#68re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/12/03 at 8:25pm

That song from rent about "Seconds" . Come to think of it, the whole score. I have yet to listen to the cast album I bought at the time the show opened ( bought it before I saw it)

Poster Emeritus

TheJester
#69Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/18/03 at 2:33am

Gotta go with "Tomorrow" as my #1. And even though I'm a Music Man fan, "Pick-a-Little" gets REAL old REAL fast.
And I think the 11th or 12th reprise of "Facade" in J&H.
Oh, and the score of Grease.

Gotta say though, despite the opinions of the rest of my age group, I can't say I like any of the music from Rent, and I'm a very open-minded person. I just can't stand a single song in it.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

The Jester

(PS- Gotta love the postive energy this thread is destined to bring out Most annoying songs )

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#70re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/18/03 at 11:17am

Let's see...songs that I hope I never hear again...

"Pore Jud is Daid" (Oklahoma)
"I'm Getting Married in the Morning" (My Fair Lady)
"I Guess I'll Miss the Man" (Pippin)
"Jeannie's Packing Up" (Brigadoon)

Best Regards,

Michael

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#71re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/18/03 at 1:48pm

Please feel free to question my taste, but unless you are qualified to do so, cast no aspersions on my sanity.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#72re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/18/03 at 2:00pm

can i also add "ladies who lunch" from Company? Maybe I just dont like stritch...

Princess MimiChica
#73re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/18/03 at 2:39pm

I really am sick of hearing RENT being called "annoying"! obviously if she songs were annoying, it wouldnt still be on Broadway!
Anyone who can call the entire score of that show annoying is really kidding themselves and trying too hard to be different and go against something thats popular.
Oh well, let the flames begin!

newyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
#74re: re: re: re: Most annoying songs
Posted: 11/18/03 at 3:22pm

I actually like alot of stuff from Rent.

Videos