pixeltracker

Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Musical

Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Musical

gherbert
#0Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Musical
Posted: 12/24/04 at 7:41pm

I was thinking about which is better, the film or the movie of THoroughly Modern Millie.

The film was produced by Ross Hunter after he was smitten with the British and American productions of The Boy Friend and Broadway's Polly, one Julie Andrews. After trying and failing to secure the rights to The Boy Friend, Hunter went to Richard Morris and asked for another 20's style farce as a vehicle for Ms. Andrews. The result was a 20's romp in which we watch the shenanigans of silly flapper Millie Dillmount. We are never to be emotinally involved in the story, it is sheer entertainment.

The show asks us to care for the characters while also enjoying that carefree fun. Millie is suddenly goingthrough a journey and becoming a "modern" and the story is now wrenched in sentimental emotions, yet still the authors are trying to maintain the 20's carefree musical.

Which do you prefer? Do you think the stage version was an improvement on the film? Do you think the film was more focused and specific than the show? Updated On: 12/25/04 at 07:41 PM

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#1re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/24/04 at 8:14pm

Let me start off by saying that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie. I have never seen the show but they got rid of so many great songs from the movie, which is why I didn't like the cast recording that much.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

broadway geek Profile Photo
broadway geek
#2re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 12:10am

I haven't seen the movie, but I would class the show as a romp. It was light and IMO not full with sentiment.

dapapabear2 Profile Photo
dapapabear2
#3re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 12:15am

I saw the stage version first and thought it was fun. When I first saw the movie I didn't like it at all but it has grown on me. I don't think I can say one is better than the other.

"They said the war by now would all be over They said one day our land would be reborn But looking now at all that we have sacrificed There's nothing left but a world forever torn" Justin Murphy

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#4re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 12:16am

Don't we mean "film vs. MUSICAL," not film vs. movie?

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#5re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 12:30am

I,too, absolutely adore the movie, not least because of the sheer star power of the cast. To have three Broadway legends..Julie Andrews, Carol Channing and Bea Lillie..in a big budget screen extravaganza tailored to their talents is a gift, even if ultimately it feels longer than the Ring Cycle. I'm afraid the stage version is a sad disappointment.

gherbert
#6re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 10:37am

Thanks bluewizard.

I just changed the title of the thread. Silly me! re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie Updated On: 12/25/04 at 10:37 AM

mirandajrs Profile Photo
mirandajrs
#7re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 10:47am

I love them both. Carol Channing dancing on a xylophone equals awesome.

Edith 'Little Edie' Bouvier Beale: Do you think my costume looked all right for Brooks? I think he was a little amazed.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#8re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 10:57am

Personally, I hated the movie, but loved the show. Julie Andrews was wonderful, but the movie just didn't work for me and I wasn't a fan of the songs in the film.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#9re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 11:30am

AH it's so hard
I love Julie Andrews but I also love Sutton Foster...
too hard mlesh

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

gherbert
#10re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 11:49am

The problem I have always had with the musical is that it really never decided what it wanted to be: a big-time Broadway monster or a delicate lampoon.

The movie was always a delicate lampoon, a fragile spoof of the twenties. Julie Andrews' wonderful performance with a large undercurrent of her performance in The Boy Friend was always a favorite. The musical's Millie is somewhat greener and tougher and somehow less fun, even if Sutton was perfection the way the character was written irked me.

Also, Muzzy was an eccentric and more fun than she is in the musical. I DO like the Mrs. Meers of the musical.

Another good thing about the movie: the four indominable divas at the center of the action: the delectable Julie Andrews, the precious Mary Tyler Moore, the zany Carol Channing, and the hilarious Bea Lillie, all at the peak of their powers.

The Jimmy of the movie is better as well. In the musical the whole playboy, man-about-town took away from the cute banter that the leading couple had in the film.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#11re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 3:57pm

contrary to what many believe "Thoroughly Modern Millie" was not a box office flop. At the time of it's release (1967) the movie was Universal Pictures' biggest money maker in the history of the studio.

i've never seen it though. i was just reading up on it because of this thread.

Hank
#12re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 5:12pm

The Broadway musical was a million times better!
I just want to thank gherbert for clearing up a few facts. I was wondering how Julie Andrews ever got cast into that role, her British accent just dosen't make sence for a Mid-West, small town girl.
Never the less, I still got a kick out of seeing the movie after seeing the show.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#13re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 5:39pm

I really didn't like the movie, even though Julie Andrews is my god. The musical's a lot better (in my opinion).

gherbert
#14re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 8:38pm

Anytime Hank!

But in the film the origin of Millie's hometown is dubious.

It is only in the musical where they make the whole to-do about the "one-ghost-town" and stuff. The film picks up three months after Millie's arrival in New York.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#15re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 8:59pm

The original film was no great great masterpiece, but it did have a sense of fun and mischief with wonderful 1920s character 'turns' by Lillie and Channing. It had a sense of cheeky camp and wry humor that the blander, colder Broadway version totally lacked. Only Kudish and Harris had any real flavor and pizazz. And what gherbert pointed out about the Broadway Millie "the way the character was written irked me" - I totally agree with. The movie Millie was both winsome and determined, while the Broadway Millie was too headstrong, hard and rather charmless. I wasn't wild about Sutton, but her office chair bit was a wonderfully funny moment the show could have used more of.

The Broadway Muzzy was a BIG mistake after the indelible Channing. Muzzy lost all her sass and snap and seemed more like Millies Mammy, dishin' out advice fo' de po' white folks.

The new 'book' for the Broadway MILLIE should have been written by Charles Busch.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 12/25/04 at 08:59 PM

MissEmilyArden
#16re: Thoroughly Modern Millie: Film v. Movie
Posted: 12/25/04 at 10:44pm

As much as I love Julie Andrews... Sutton was a goddess in that part.

Videos