Made you cry?

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#0Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:00pm

What shows made you cry? I mean because the story and music was so powerful and moving- no smart aleck comments :).

I cried during Man of La Mancha. The ending was just so beautiful...oy so sad it closed.

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

FindingNamo
#1re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:02pm

Most recently, "Caroline, or Change."

Right before that, "Wicked." But for an entirely different reason: I paid full price, Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#2re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:03pm

I'm a very emotional person, so I cry at just about anything. Shows that come to mind are "A Chorus Line," "Les Miserables," "Aida," "La Boheme," and "Rent." Like I said--it doesn't take much to get me going.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

DofB5
#3re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:09pm

Funny that we recently discussed this on a different board. I'm a real mush bag. "Les Miserables" & "POTO" are two of my biggies. At least a 4 hankie production each.

D

Tesse Profile Photo
Tesse
#4re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:12pm

Kiss of the Spider Woman
Rent
Parade

And I'm embarrassed to admit, Miss Saigon. When Chris screamed at the end, I just lost it.

Tick, tick... BOOM also got me pretty choked up. *sigh* What a great show.

"I hate musicals... People don't sing in real life."
"Well, maybe they should."
--Kiss of the Spider Woman (cut line)

broadwayguy2
#5re: re: re: Made you cry?

I always bawl at Les Miz.....

Elphie Profile Photo
Elphie
#6re: re: Made you cry?

Bawled during Wicked like a little baby.
Right when Idina came running out painted up beautifully in her emerald skin, I felt the tears sliding down my face. She had all this ambition in her face and being the first time to ever see my beautiful idol Idina in a show, I was overwhelmed with racing emotions. I felt like crying at every second- cried again at the dance at Shiz when Idina does an excellent interpretive dance, but is made fun of- cried another time when Dr. Dillamond is ridded of his rights, another when Idina sang with Norbert, another when Glinda and Idina towards the end had touching moments, and the biggest crying was of course Defying Gravity- amazing is the only word I can put out there. It left my speechless and it in complete tears and awe. I've never cried so much during a show. During curtan call I couldnt even scream for Idina and Kristen because my voice was all cracky from crying so much. My friend just looked at me and thought I was a loser for crying so much, but I honestly never thought I could cry so much ever for someone I dont know personally.
I cried a little in both times I saw RENT and of course in LES MIZ, but those were the only 3. It takes a lot for me to cry. LES MIZ was only cuz of stupid Gavroche. It killed me and RENT for the excellent Angel of course. If a show can make me cry for the good reasons (not cuz I cant wait to go home (uggh Saturday Night Fever) ! re: re: Made you cry?) it becomes one of my favorites. They got to be powerful to make me cry.

"They hear drums. We hear music."

GirlfriendFromCanada
#7re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:17pm

The first time I ever cried at a show was the first time I saw Aida, right after "Gods Love Nubia". I found it so overwhelming and incredible that I couldn't help it. I cried again later in the performance, during "Elaborate Lives" and into the final scene. Oh the magic of Adam and Heather.

"Goodnight Saigon" from Movin' Out makes me cry every time.

And after all of these times of seeing it, "I'll Cover You: Reprise" from Rent still gets my heart and makes me cry almost every single time I see it.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#8re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:21pm

While I've never cried during a show, I came close during "Into the Woods." Being such a beautiful show and the pure excitment of seeing it combined made it a joyouse experience. My favorite musical. I came pretty close during "La Boheme."

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#9re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:21pm

Jade is that picture from Anna in the Tropics?

i luv stevo Profile Photo
i luv stevo
#10re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:27pm

Rent, Tick Tick boom, Les Miserables, Seusical, Flower Drum Song, New Brain, A chorus Line, Godspell, West Side Story....I guess I will end the list, but those are definately the only shows that make me cry. I am the biggest cry baby ever. I cry when I am happy, sad, mad and scared. I love a good cry. :)

say what?
#11re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:31pm

Though I am hardly an emotional person, I got a bit misty eyed during the Winthrop/Marian exchange during the "Wells Fargo Wagon," in the 2000 revival of "The Music Man." Seriously.

"SUNY Binghamton, yes. I'm sure getting a degree from SUNY Binghamton is very useful. Normally to get a degree with that kind of credibility you'd have to study in Guatemala or Haiti."

BrdwyThtr Profile Photo
BrdwyThtr
#12re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:39pm

I've only cried at Ragtime, when Little Coalhouse runs into Mother's arms.

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#13re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:48pm

Jade is that picture from Anna in the Tropics?

Yes, it is re: re: Made you cry?. This is sort of sad, but Anna in the Tropics had me on the verge of tears, because of a certain thing (I don't want to give it away) that happens at the end. I was all shaky and wobbly, and then when I was talking to Daphne I was just so overwhelmed...*sigh* Also, one of the times I saw RENT I bawled like a baby at the end. 'For Good' in Wicked almost made me cry.

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1

Cadriel
#14re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:52pm

I've come close a couple of times - Les Miz and Chess spring readily to mind, as does Rent, which explains why I've seen them more than any other shows - and I've been overwhelmed, but I've never actually shed a tear at a live performance, however much I felt. I'm very much a not-crying person in public.

-Wayne

Princess MimiChica Profile Photo
Princess MimiChica
#15re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:56pm

I sobbed like a baby at RENT...got misty eyes when isaw AIDA, only because i love my Adam!! TTB got me chocked up too..im a crier!!

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#16re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 6:59pm

PB doesn't cry! But I always get a lump in my throat during Bu Doi, (Saigon) if it's performed realllllly well in front of those Amer-Asian children on the big screen. That's real and that's sad!

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#17re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 7:02pm

AIDA as well.

Heather Headley and Adam Pascal were PERFECTION! Mostly all the songs, especially in the second act, built my emotions up during the show, and then at the end, when they sing "Elaborate Lives" I totally lost it! I got up and went to the very back, and stood in front of the exit door crying. I totally was out of it. Out of embarassment, I quickly went back to my seat, since the ushers were staring at me. :-P

Then I went on crying again at the end, when they meet each other in their reincarnated lives.

AIDA is SUCH a great musical! I can't understand why it is always under fire. Is it because actor replacements ruined the show?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Becky
#18re: re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 7:04pm

I've cried at Rent, Aida, Parade, tick, tick...BOOM!, The Last Session - and I got teary at the end of Merrily We Roll Along and during the song "My Friend" from THE LIFE. There are of course many more, but those are the ones that stick out....

newyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
#19re: re: re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 7:07pm

I cryed at the end of Ragtime, "For Good" in Wicked killed me and I hardly ever cry at shows. Updated On: 11/17/03 at 07:07 PM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#20re: re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 7:09pm

Carousel, when the dead and Heaven-sent Billy sees his daughter graduate from high school. Every time. Lincoln Center or the worst middle school production.

And "Wheels of a Dream" from Ragtime.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

sharon1
#21re: re: re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 7:15pm

I cry when Eponine dies in Les Miz. I thought I was safe with the Anniversary Show. But no. Still bawled like a babe even though it was the concert version. Something about that song

JO125
#22re: re: re: re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 7:21pm

Bloodbrothers, but I had just given birth to a baby boy a few weeks before seeing the show. Between the storyline and the hormones, I didn't stand a chance.

JoizeyActor Profile Photo
JoizeyActor
#23re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 7:32pm

I can't say I've ever cried during a show. But I'm not a big crier. Les Mis made me sad though, if that's anything...

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#24re: re: Made you cry?
Posted: 11/17/03 at 7:41pm

I'm not really a crier in general so if a show can get me a little teary, that's huge. The two shows that come to mind are The Last 5 Years because I saw so much of a serious relationship I had been involved in in it. Some of the songs still really get to me.
For example Goodbye Until Tomorrow really gets me because the last time I saw the person I was in the relationship with, I didn't know it would be the last time, so I really thought it was just like any other goodbye. Plus Still Hurting and See I'm Smiling.
Chess got me pretty teary too. Nothing specific, it was just amazing.

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

Videos