Misheard Lyrics

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#0Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 9:52pm

Are there lyrics you can never understand, no matter how many times you listen to the song? For example, in Elegies (Joe Papp):

But Moses builds what Joe proposes
Moses builds an outdoor theater
Moses thinks it's ???
But it lights up New York...

Perhaps people could help others with their lyric woes as well.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#1re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 9:55pm

for quite a while a lot of rent heads insisted, despite the written lyrics on the page, that the line "nevers and maybes" from "Out Tonight" was really "neverson babies". there was a website and everything devoted to trying to figure out who the neverson babies were...

#2re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 9:56pm

Not that it's actually hard to understand, but I thought this was kinda funny...

I gave my sister a copy of the Wicked cd and she listens to it nonstop. In "Thank Goodness/I Couldn't Be Happier," when they sing, "That means the wizard, Glinda..." and Kristin sings, "and fiancee..." My sister thought she said "and Beyonce!"

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#3re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 9:57pm

"Thanks, it's mostly pork
But it lights up New York"

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#4re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:00pm

In Wicked, "pal, a sister," I thought was "palasis"

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#5re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:03pm

I used to think it was Beyonce too! And palasis! And I couldn't for the life of me figure out what "and this gift or this curse" (I have inside) was1 My sister had to tell me.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#6re: Misheard Lyrics

Can it be?
Can it be Christine? Bravo!
What a change.
You're really not a bitch.
The gawkish girl
That once you were.

Sounds JUST like it.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

#7re: Misheard Lyrics

In "Popular" from Wicked, when she sings,"If I degreenify you..." I had no idea what that was. I kept guessing, "If I, be green, if I, you?" I was so confused.

ElphieDefiesGravity
#8re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:06pm

Elvis~ Do you mean the song "The Wizard and I"? That's when she sings that.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

#9re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:09pm

Oh yeah lol sorry. (obviously time for Elvis's bedtime)

ElphieDefiesGravity
#10re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:11pm

haha re: Misheard Lyrics

#11re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:12pm

I'm so sorry about that lol. What a spaz I am.

ElphieDefiesGravity
#12re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:14pm

Perfectly alright... re: Misheard Lyrics

Joshua488
#13re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:43pm

Yes, StickToPriest! I thought the exact same thing! I was thinking, "Did they change the lyric and I didn't know it??" But after listening to it again, I realized the error of my ways.

This is kind of different from the topic, but when I first listened to "No One Mourns the Wicked" from WICKED, I had no idea what Kristin Chenoweth was saying when she was singing in her higher operatic range. Near the end, the chorus sings, "No one mourns the wicked" and she sings "Good news!". I had no idea what the hell she was saying! I thought she was just vocalizing; I didn't realize that she was singing WORDS. Better diction next time, Kristin! :)

ElphieDefiesGravity
#14re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:50pm

It took me forever to figure out what Kristin was saying there too, Joshua!

Razz77 Profile Photo
Razz77
#15re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:51pm

I always thought it was "Moses thinks its pork" - and I had no idea what that could ever mean.

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#16re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:53pm

I'm with y'all on palasis from "Popular." I couldn't figure out what the heck she was saying.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#17re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 10:54pm

Not from a Cast Recording, but I always thought Jimmy Hendrix was saying " 'scuze me, while I kiss this guy" in Purple Haze when he sings, " 'scuze me while I kiss the sky"

*sheepish*

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

Razz77 Profile Photo
Razz77
#18re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 11:06pm

YES! Raoul sings "BITCH" on the Phantom OBCR - I'm convinced.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#19re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 11:23pm

A misheard lyric is called a "mondegreen", and there is actually a whole website devoted to them called...wait for it, Gypsy...."Kiss the sky.com" (or is it kiss this guy.com??....)

brdlwyr
#20re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 11:30pm

Joshua - my 11 year old daugter was surprised that it was "good news" also after hearing it dozens of times.

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#21re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 11:33pm

"i bet her two toned mammas got em too" from cooties

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#22re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 11:39pm

I have proudly sung out "Moses thinks it's pork!" many a time in the privacy of my own room.
What a wonderful song... re: Misheard Lyrics

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

La Vie Boheme
#23re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 11:41pm

I could never figure out what "I wanna be in this hoy malloy" (From "One Short Day") meant. I still kinda don't know what they say. THats just what it sounds like. I just kinda made an assumption it meant they wanted to be in the city...

Anyone with me?

Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Program: $10 Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Window Poster: $15 Winning the lottery with your friend: Priceless (+ $25) I<3NY

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#24re: Misheard Lyrics
Posted: 1/27/05 at 11:56pm

they say "hoi polloi". it translates to the general populace. or one of the masses. it's Greek. Updated On: 1/27/05 at 11:56 PM

Latest Posts