pixeltracker

what is your earliest memory of broadway?

what is your earliest memory of broadway?

fiyerosfirstlove
#0what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:27pm

I'm a bit curious to see what's the very first thing everyone remembers about broadway, be it the first show they saw or some cast recording they heard, etc.

Mine is when I was seven years old and my parents took me to NYC for the first tiem and they took me too see Cats and we had 3rd row center orchestra seats, it was the most amazing thing ever!

"Well, there has been much rumor and speculation... innuendo, outuendo..."

me101 Profile Photo
me101
#1re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:29pm

Mine was my first professional show ever: Annie! loved it....of course I was 8 then

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. -Dorothy Parker

Allie
#2re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:30pm

When I was younger, maybe 10 or 11, Mom and Dad won tickets to see the CATS tour when it came to Halifax. I had no interest whatsoever in going with them!

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#3re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:30pm

You're so young....lol. Mine was "I Do, I Do" with Carol Lawrence and Gordon MacRae. I was on a school trip and my mom was one of the chaperones. While the rest of the group opted to go see "The Merv Griffin Show", we decided we wanted to see a Broadway musical.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

brdlwyr
#4re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:33pm

This was not Broadway - but the movie 1776 was a seed for my love of the musical.

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#5re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:40pm

when i was 5 i saw my first show. it was grease, i was really excited about it . during intermission when they had the little dance contest i did it. i ended up winning.

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#6re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:43pm

One of my first shows:

Oliver
Here's Love or
Oh What A Lovely War

Poster Emeritus

TabooWickedFan Profile Photo
TabooWickedFan
#7re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:51pm

first show when I was nine, Beauty and the Beast. i remember sitting row A mezz, looking up and saying I want to do that.

"But I relish every brillant inspired moment. This is who I'm determined to be- an actor/singer/dancer-no, I take that back, this is who I am. These people are my tribe, my destiny. I know it. -How I Paid for College; A story of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater.

BEKA531
#8re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:54pm

beauty and the beast - i think i was around 7/8

singinswinga Profile Photo
singinswinga
#9re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:56pm

when i was 9 i was in this choir program with my state's symphony orchestra, and we did a show about the life of Handel. When I was 11 I was in a community show of "The Wizard of Oz." it was special.

I know this groc'ry clerk...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#10re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 9:59pm

CATS on Broadway. I was 6.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

NYgirl2
#11re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 10:00pm

hi im new
my first relevant broadway memory is when i was about 5-7 we went to see peter pan and we were sitting in the front row and after the vurtain call i was standing up and the conductor looked back at me and let me conduct the orchestra for a little while and i could see the faces of the musicians smiling at me from the pit it was really cool!!!!!!!!!!

playbill_signer_05 Profile Photo
playbill_signer_05
#12re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 10:04pm

My earliest memory of Broadway was getting the soundtracks to "Fiddler on the Roof", "South Pacific", and "The King and I" for Christmas when I was 10 or 11. The first show I saw was "Beauty and the Beast"- I LOVED it- I think I was 11.

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#13re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 10:06pm

i saw Peter Pan when i was i think 6 and i just loved it! ahh the memories!

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#14re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 10:16pm

Phantom of the OPera on tour- I was 10.

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#15re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 10:21pm

My first record was the JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR album when I was five. I used to run around the house singing "Must die, must die, this Jesus must die!" at the top of my lungs. I can only imagine what the neighbors thought...

The first Broadway show I saw was EVITA.

Which may explain my often rather embarassing fondness for ALW.

brdlwyr
#16re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 10:23pm

Oh yes, teh Brown Album of JCS = thanks Veuve.

Have you seen "Then we are decided" in a production. I do not believe that it is on any of the recordings.

stagemaster333 Profile Photo
stagemaster333
#17re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 10:39pm

The movie of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat was what really sparked my love of broadway and theater.

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#18re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 10:51pm

My first Broadway experience was the play, Stones in his Pockets. It's a two man show, with both men playing several characters. I was so amazed and impressed that those men could switch back and forth between characters so fast. I think I was maybe 10 or so.

My love for musicals has been around for as long as I can remember. When I was little, I watched Mary Poppins or Oklahoma! everyday!

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

Eileen2 Profile Photo
Eileen2
#19re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 10:59pm

I went to see Annie at the Westbury Music Fair. When Annie first came out, I wanted to audition for a part badly. Unfortunately, I was a tall kid and had no chance at a role.

My first big show on broadway was seeing A Chorus Line. It made me want to be a performer, more then ever before.

LittleAngelMaker Profile Photo
LittleAngelMaker
#20re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 11:02pm

When I was 8 years old, I saw Zero Mostel in "Fiddler On The Roof." I was hooked on the theater for life!

NightLaughs Profile Photo
NightLaughs
#21re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 11:05pm

I remember watching "the Today Show" or some such thing, and they interviwed the girl who was playing Annie in the Broadway revival. Her story was she got sick and had to call out for a few weeks and her understudy took over. But the producers liked HER so much, they fired the original. So she was all mad and she sang "Over the Rainbow". I have no idea why I remember it so well. Maybe cause I had a lead in my elementary school musical and was afraid of getting replaced. re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?

If you limit your choices to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise."- Robert Fritz

Adoannie925 Profile Photo
Adoannie925
#22re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 11:07pm

The first show I remember was The Sound of Music in '98 when I was 10 or 11. I remember complaining that I didn't want to go see a musical, and then, all of a sudden, after my parents made me see it, I fell in love with it.

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#23re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 11:20pm

my first musical was "The Sound of Music". I watched the movie with my parents when I was about 3 and learned all the songs by heart. I would run to my dress-up box and change cotumes as the movie went on and sing the songs...then it came to our local theatre and I just absolutly fell in love with broadway...at five!

Was that a fat joke?

maybethistime
#24re: what is your earliest memory of broadway?
Posted: 1/28/05 at 11:47pm

I was obsessed with 'THE SOUND OF MUSIC' and 'MY FAIR LADY', the movies, when I was little. (Which is funny, because although I like them, no I'm kind of sick of them, especially becuase those are like the "poster musicals" that everyone has heard of.)

My first prof. show I saw was the tour of B&tB, in Atlanta, GA. (I lived there, then.) I saw it with my Grandma. I remeber absolutley loving it. We always sing the songs and reminice (sp?) about when we're together.

Videos