RENT... Pre-Broadway?

got-a-light Profile Photo
got-a-light
#0RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 4:58pm

Are there any other recordings of RENT besides the OBC? I would love to get a recording from early workshops. Does anyone know if there's a recording of songs (or even a list of cut songs) that never made it to Broadway?

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#1re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:07pm

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but apparently theres a link for a RENT directory, where you can find songs sang by Norbert Leo Butz and others from different casts..

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:07pm

I think somewhere there is an NYTW recording. I'm not sure where, but there are probably people on here who can help you.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#3re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:08pm

You probably don't want to hear the NYTW recording.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#4re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:09pm

Yes, good point.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

BwayTheatre11
#5re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:13pm

Why is that?

CCM '10!

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#6re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:15pm

Trust me.
"Female to Female" is one of the glaring examples.

LaeloftheLakes Profile Photo
LaeloftheLakes
#7re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:18pm

Do I have to mention "Right Brain?"

Or ANYTHING by original Roger? My frien Lynne was listening to it with me..."Adam Pascal, where are you?" ---Lynne

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Intolerant of intolerance.

BwayTheatre11
#8re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:20pm

How come the revised version was so much better all of a sudden?

CCM '10!

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#9re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:23pm

I really enjoy my recording of NYTW just for the fun of seeing how my favorite show progressed. It's very rough around the edges, but it's obvious how talented Jonathan was. There are a lot of the same songs/melodies in different orders, songs that kept the same music but with different words (like Right Brain) and other songs that were cut totally. I love hearing Anthony and Daphne in such raw form, and I think Tony Holdens raspy voice is really sexy and good for Roger re: RENT... Pre-Broadway? But thats just me. I like the different lyrcis Mimi sings in Another Day:

Your pain I see
Your heart's been burned
You're just like me
before I learned,
There is no future,
there is no past...etc.

For the record "Real Estate" the the cheesiest, funniest song EVER!!! haha I love it

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!
Updated On: 2/11/05 at 05:23 PM

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#10re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:23pm

All the same, I'd be interested in hearing all these clips from the cut NYTW songs. If anyone has them and can send them to me I'd greatly appreciate it.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

got-a-light
#11re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:24pm

LaeloftheLakes... how were you litening to right brain... download?

also who played roger?

LaeloftheLakes
#12re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:24pm

*shifts eyes*

Um, what?

(check your pms)

"I am special, I am special! Please, God, please, don't let me be normal!" ---Louisa, The Fantasticks
---
---
Updated On: 2/11/05 at 05:24 PM

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#13re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:25pm

Daphne sang those lyrics this fall at her Kean concert. I was surprised. re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?

Dreamcatcher
#14re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:26pm

haha wow just the titles make me laugh. Right Brain, Female to Female (which I can only assume is between Joanne and Maureen.) I've gotta find these clips. I know this one Mark Cohen site (Tango to Hell or something) that has a bunch of NYTW Mark clips with Anthony Rapp but, of course, it wont let me listen to them. grrrr.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

Becky
#15re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 5:49pm

Tony Hoylen sang the role of Roger....

LaeloftheLakes
#16re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 7:06pm

If you can call what he did singing.

---
---

N0tThatGirl213 Profile Photo
N0tThatGirl213
#17re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 7:07pm

I'm amazed by the notes he DOESN'T hit...

"A little humility wouldn't hurt." --Ellie, Constantine-Hellblazer, "Dangerous Habits"

LaeloftheLakes
#18re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 7:12pm

SO TRUE!!!

Couldn't have put it better myself!

---
---

Dreamcatcher
#19re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 7:14pm

haha wow, I guess I can safely say "Thank God for them finding Adam Pascal in time for its debut outside of NYTW."

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#20re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 7:16pm

could someone send them to me...

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#21re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 7:37pm

same! i have always heard of these so called "dreadful" songs and now i am very curious to hear them.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#22re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 7:55pm

Tony Hoylen sounds like he is on sedatives.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#23re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 8:06pm

thanks for the site, dreamcatcher...those songs were fun!!!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

got-a-light
#24re: RENT... Pre-Broadway?
Posted: 2/11/05 at 8:11pm

what was the site?

Videos