The Little Mermaid

jarred03
#0The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 1:48am

Has anybody heard anything recently about The Little Mermaid? I really hope it comes to broadway.

charliebrown975 Profile Photo
charliebrown975
#1re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 1:52am

The only thing that I've ever heard about it is that Carrie Buttler was doing it and it was still only in workshops. But that was forever ago.

renthead2005z Profile Photo
renthead2005z
#2re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 1:54am

i really don't think that it is a good idea, but that may be just me

"Why do we play with fire?-Why do we run our fingers through the flame?"

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#3re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 2:01am

Umm, I think the 2-disc special edition may be coming out in like October of 2005. I loooove this movie, best Disney movie and one of my favorite movies ever, I must have seen it more than 300 times. Too bad Pat Carroll can't portray Ursulla on Broadway, that would be awesome. Okay, sorry total threadjack, but it's impossible for me not to respond to a thread entitled "The Little Mermaid."

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Joshua488
#4re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 2:02am

It is spelled KERRY BUTLER.

She did play Ariel in the workshops. A bunch of new songs were written specifically for the stage version, too. Currently, they are trying to figure out how the hell to do an underwater show onstage.

IMsooHyprToday Profile Photo
IMsooHyprToday
#5re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 3:12am

i hope it is better than just a whole bunch of bubbles... ha.

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#6re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 6:31am

Stephen Mear is doing the choreography. He just won the Olivier award for "Mary Poppins".

theatrgal
#7re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 6:42am

I heard thatit wasn't going to happen. Too expensive/difficult to fly everyone for 1st act. Working on Pinnochio now..

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#8re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 6:49am

It's still happening. At DisneySea in Tokyo they have a whole little Mermaid show with the performers connected to trapeze contraptions. It shouldn't be all that difficult to adapt for a regular theatre.

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#9re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 9:04am

Who thinks Harvey Fierstein would make a great Ursula?

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#10re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 9:11am

Then they would have to double cast the role, since Ursula turns into the sea vixen to woo Prince Eric..

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

#11re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 10:35am

The last thing I heard was it was set to debut in 2007 which is when I graduate high school they are also working on a few other Disney Musicals... I just dont remember which ones... I think it was Aladdin n Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#12re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 1:36pm

The 2 disc dvd is actually slated for ocober 2006 or feb 2007

Tarzan and probably Aladdin will be on Bdwy before Little mermaid, Kerry Butler and they are looking at Emily Skinner for Ursula (there are also a ton of new songs!!!) did the workshop and she said they are having trouble with the technical aspects *ie it's underwater...lol* and it looks like instead of 2006 for the musical it is more like 2007

I wait on pins and needles!!
this movie inspired me to be a singer...it's aHmazing!

that's all I have to say

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#13re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 1:38pm

They're putting The Little Mermaid on DVD? That's my all-time favourite movie. re: The Little Mermaid

A work of art is an invitation to love.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#14re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 1:53pm

While I realize that Ursula has to transform into the seductive "Vanessa", I don't understand the impulse to cast a young actress in the role. Part of the brilliance of this villain is her aged cunning and experience. Her maturity makes the part even more interesting. Personally, I would love to see Carole Shelley in this role. It would probably never happen, but I think she would be simply incredible!

yarn769fink034
#15re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 1:56pm

They should just double cast the role one person for Ursula
and one for Vanessa.HAs anyone ever watched the little mermaid while they were high?I wouldn't know what it is like but "hear" its a lot of fun,hehe

StephanietheStar
#16re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 9:06pm

LuvtheEmcee--It's already been on dvd, but it was in '98 when no one had them and it was limited issue and there were no special features
They are working on the 2 disc *maybe more* version, like they've done w/ BeautyntBeast, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, ALice, Bambi, Mulan...etc....They are killing me by making me wait!!!

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#17re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 9:19pm

since vanessa looks nothing like ursula in the movie and has ariel's voice i see no reason why the same person would play both (not to mention it would be a bitch to get the purple on and off in time) and just think they'll have somewhere to stick all the hot girls from good vibrations when it closes (ariel had alot of sisters after all)

ETA: would it be so hard to fly that many people...its not like all of them would be up at once and peter pan flies 4 at a time quite effeciently

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel
Updated On: 3/5/05 at 09:19 PM

BSoBW2
#18re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 9:32pm

Or they could just make different levels on the stage (platforms and flying cranes a la Wicked) and only a few people actually "fly."

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#19re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 9:40pm

yeah bsobw that could work... i think only 4 or 5 actors would need to fly..less if they make sebastian and flounder puppets ala the lion king.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

BSoBW2
#20re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 9:42pm

I think that they'd have to do it a la Lion King - which sucks becuase it won't have that "wow, that's new" affect...

Mattio98
#21re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 10:39pm

I think Disney has just recently put it back on their fast-track. I would personally love to see Kerry as Ariel and Eartha Kitt or Patti LuPone as Ursula.

StephanietheStar
#22re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 10:47pm

My hope is that by the time it goes to broadway , I'm a famous star and they offer it to me and the role will win me my 3rd tony

LOL...I can dream...but honest I was born to play the little mermaid...except Im blonde..but still!

#23re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 10:48pm

Alright Stephanie, you can play Ariel, but I get to play Eric.

#24re: The Little Mermaid
Posted: 3/5/05 at 10:51pm

I wannabe King Triton!!!

Videos