Extra song in Wicked?

gertiecummings Profile Photo
gertiecummings
#0Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/29/05 at 11:57pm

My friend told me that in Wicked Nessa gets a song called "Wicked Witch of the East" that's not on the CD. Is that true, and if so why isn't it on the CD?

bwayfan3 Profile Photo
bwayfan3
#1re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/29/05 at 11:59pm

I've heard that the lyrics give too many spoilers away.
However, I think March of the Witch Hunters gives just as much if not more away and that made it onto the cd, so go figure.

apdarcey
#2re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 12:00am

it gives away a lot a lot so they didn't want to include it. march of the witch hunters doesn't necessarily give it away unless you're paying really close attention

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#3re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 12:03am

Also there's a lot of dialogue in that song.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#4re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 12:04am

When Kristoffer Cusick sang to me/us at our meeting thing he sang the song that originally took the place of Dancing through life...i liked it better too...

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#5re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 12:04am

Can I be the one that says, "Are you seriosuly asking this?"

And what the others said is true...

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#6re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 1:53am

haha bso/thenardier (i dont know exactly what to call you)...you beat me to it.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Sporkie Profile Photo
Sporkie
#7re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 2:21am

'the lyics give too many spoilers away'
I'm not criticizing you, but if someone is going to listen to a recording of a song from a musical then, like, HELLO! How can there not be spoilers? Most things you know te entire plot from listening to a random five of the songs. (A notable exception being Pippin, which, oddly enough, is nearly impossible to find the plot to. But I digress) Seriously, though, you get te entire plot of Wicked from the soundtrack, without that song

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#8re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 2:39am

When Kristoffer Cusick sang to me/us at our meeting thing he sang the song that originally took the place of Dancing through life...i liked it better too...

LMAO Are you kidding? You liked that piece of sh*t song better than you like DTL? Oh god. That's the best laugh I've had in a long time.

Bwaybaby109
#9re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 11:06am

I like Dancing Through Life better, I'm glad they replaced the old song with that, it just didn't fit.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#10re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 12:35pm

I agree. I mean the score is subpar at most, and DTL is probably one of my favorite songs in the show. So, I am very happy they switched over.

#11re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 12:45pm

Two different songs are being discussed here, Gertie. "Wicked Witch of the East" is a song performed in the show but not on the CD. I've heard the spoilers explanation, also, and it does make sense as the show CD purposely did not include a plot synopsis to preserve some of the "Surprises" for the audience.

"Which Way is the Party" (Is that the right name?) Is a song cut from the show that was replaced by Dancing Through Life. It's seen in rehearsal footage included in the Broadway:The American Musical DVD. I agree that from what I've seen and heard, it was a good decidion to cut it-- Dancing Through Life works much better in every way-- But cut songs have a way of taking on special powers and almost every turkey cut from a Broadway show has it's defenders.

timote316
#12re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 12:46pm

This has been discussed before, but last time it was different. Last time, we all said that WWOTE was a good song, and DTL was horrible. Big reversal here...

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#13re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 12:59pm

Which way is the party?
Which way to the next keg of Winkie beer?

Umm...no

You can call me bso

Updated On: 3/30/05 at 12:59 PM

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#14re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 2:23pm

Bso~ Why, if I may ask, did you switch your name yet again? Just curious. re: Extra song in Wicked?

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

PerhapsACreamPuff Profile Photo
PerhapsACreamPuff
#15re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 3:01pm

Yeah, I don't know how anyone can support the lyrics "Leave our books on the shelves/ take our bad selves/ down to the Ozdust Ballroom"
The first time I heard that line I could not stop laughing from the sheer absurdity.

Also, I think a big reason WWOTE was cut was not only spoilers but that it's very, very short. To include any clip longer than a few lines they would have needed to add the interspersed dialogue which would have given a lot away about what's supposed to be a secret (but does get referenced in MOTWH) and even then there would be nearly as much dialogue as song. Sentimental man is similar, but I think they decided to include it because they wanted the Wizard to have more than one song.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Hilda, Hilda, wake up! I've invented a maneuver.

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#16re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 3:17pm

I really wish they'd kept that song in there. Michelle has a great voice but no one could possibly tell with that tiny solo she has in DTL.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

sassypanz
#17re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 3:30pm

There is also too many lines and stuff in between the song itself.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#18re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 3:34pm

Because BSO doesn't work....it logs off as soon as it changes pages....

Oh, well...I mean, thenardier is the role that got me into theatre....

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#19re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 3:44pm

Oh, that's too bad. re: Extra song in Wicked? Oh well.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#20re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 4:07pm

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before. Does anyone know where online I can read the "script" for the show?

Thanks.

ikmbway
#21re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 5:05pm

i love the wicked witch of the east michelle has a great voice.

try libretto.musicals.ru for the libretto its been down for a few days i think

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#22re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 5:20pm

Thanks so much for the site!

nostrngattachd
#23re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 5:36pm

does anyone have a link to hear this song? i love it and wish i could hear it again!

stylinbohemian
#24re: Extra song in Wicked?
Posted: 3/30/05 at 6:25pm

yes theres a whole lot of dialog and the song happens during an important/vidal part in the second act thats why they cut it...I have it..if n e one wants it pm ur email and i can send it

"If There's One Thing to Learn it's You Just Can't Go Wrong If You Follow Your Heart, and End With A Song"

Videos