pixeltracker

How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??- Page 2

How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??

Whatchmacallit Profile Photo
Whatchmacallit
#25re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/1/05 at 8:01pm

-"I'm A Little Bit Off" from Starting Here, Starting Now

-"You've Got Possibilities" from ...Superman

-"A Trip To The Library" from She Loves Me is a popular one for
dancers trying to sing

A man is getting along on the road to wisdom when he begins to realize that his opinion is just an opinion.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#26re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/1/05 at 9:02pm

Paris Makes Me Horny from Victor/Victoria

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#27re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/1/05 at 9:09pm

I don't think Paris makes me horny is a very appropriate song for a young girl to sing. It's also not really a great audition piece unless you come in with the whole shpeal. (accent, movements, etc)

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

DefyGravity23
#28re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/1/05 at 9:45pm

"You've Got Possibilities" I didn't know that anyone had ever heard of that song before. I had to do a tap dance to it a couple years ago and I had never heard of the musical. I looked everywhere for info on it but could only find a little bit.

Anyway, yeah, that song would be good. Also I agree with people that songs from Guys and Dolls would be good picks, especially the songs sang by Adelaide. "Take Back your Mink" "Bushel and a Peck" "Adelaide's Lament" I consider those to all be more personality songs.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#29re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/2/05 at 2:25pm

That qualification fits me. I've used "Sensitivity" from Once Upon a Mattress - "Happily Ever After" would work too. I got cast singing "Little Girls" from Annie, and believe me I cannot REALLY hit the notes. But I feel like I carried the song very well.

Kid's songs are a good thought - "Little Known Facts" or "Suppertime" from Charlie Brown would work nicely.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

cathyhyatt
#30re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/2/05 at 3:13pm

stagemomfromhell...i dont et home she used "nothing"
you ahve to sing well to sing that song...

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

hannahshule Profile Photo
hannahshule
#31re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/2/05 at 4:17pm

Life upon the Wicked stage

~And let us try, before we die, to make some sense of life~

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#32re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/2/05 at 6:23pm

Seconded

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

oxdreaminxo Profile Photo
oxdreaminxo
#33re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/2/05 at 9:46pm

Hmm- a lot of people will argue with me on this, but I think "I Know Things Now" from Into The Woods might work well. I've never heard her sing, so I wouldn't really know, but a lot of my friends (myself included) who don't have a great range can sing it decently. And it's a fun song, too, and Little Red sings it in what I think is an obnoxious voice, lol, so she can have fun with it.

A most ingenious paradox.

singinswinga Profile Photo
singinswinga
#34re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/2/05 at 10:54pm

Try "Shy" from Once Upon A Mattress. It's perfect for just croaking it out, ya know? Yeah, YOU know. Or something from Avenue Q, you can get away with sounding really "puppetty"

I know this groc'ry clerk...

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#35re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/2/05 at 10:58pm

'Shy' is a good personality song but I don't really think it's the perfect one for someone who can't sing...I dunno, maybe you disagree...

I'd suggest 'Doin' What Comes Natur'lly' from Annie Get Your Gun

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#36re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/2/05 at 11:54pm

"A Little Brains , A Little Talent"- From Damn Yankees

cathyhyatt
#37re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/5/05 at 11:18am

i STILL say if you can't sing...just DONT

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

theatermom4
#38re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/5/05 at 11:39am

There have been quite a few good suggestions. Along with "I'm Gonna Wash That Man..." from South Pacific, you might try "Honey Bun". It is another "character" song and is cute even when it is not sung extremely well.

rmposey Profile Photo
rmposey
#39re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 4/5/05 at 2:17pm

Trip to the Library from She Loves Me might work, though it's kinda low - I believe the lowest note is a G below middle C. It could always be talked more than sung if neccessary. I also agree with Happily Ever After from Once Upon a Mattress. It's a cute song.

I should have eaten the saw and used the cake to bludgeon my way out - Alfred Hitchcock

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#40re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 6/12/18 at 5:34pm

Just stumbled upon this old thread.. Any new musicals that fit the bill? I feel like Omar Shariff is easy to sing.

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#41um...
Posted: 6/12/18 at 6:55pm

If you can't sing, you should not be auditioning for a singing part. 

"Life is a lesson in humility"

Karen M Voels
#42re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 10/1/18 at 4:07pm

I suppose she's all grown up now, but this problem doesn't go away. If you've ever watched Disney's version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, you might have noticed that The Stepsisters Lament was sung accurately, but not beautifully. I actually like it better than other ways I've heard it. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b2BhZ4LgN8 If you can practice it so you're good and familiar with it, I bet it would be a great choice.

Loopin’theloop
#43re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 10/1/18 at 5:10pm

Karen M Voels said: "I suppose she's all grown up now, but this problem doesn't go away. If you've ever watched Disney's version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, you might have noticed that The StepsistersLament was sung accurately, but not beautifully. I actually like it better than other ways I've heard it. Here's a video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b2BhZ4LgN8If you can practice it so you're good and familiar with it, I bet it would be a great choice."

Sounding beautiful or ‘nice’ is not a prerequisite to singing. Singing by definition is about being on pitch and being create the correct vibrations in order to hit various notes and therefore sing a melody. What you said about the song being sung accurately is pretty much the definition of what singing is 

The Collins Dictionsry definition is -

Singing is the activity of making musical sounds with your voice

The difference is style and genre. The Stepsisters in ‘Cinderella’ don’t have pleasant speaking voices, so their singing voices - which in a book musical should be an extension of the character’s speaking voice - shouldn’t be nice either. But that doesn’t mean they cannot sing. Would you say Bebe Neuworth or Chita Rivera, can’t sing? They might both be limited in upper range and neither has a beautiful sound but they can most certainly sing.

There are a few suggestions in this thread that are written for an abrasive or ‘not conventionally pretty’ sound but are actually difficult to sing. Something like ‘Sensitivity’ from Once Upon A Mattress is not going to help someone who cannot stay on pitch. The intervals are too small and intricate. Whilst ‘Shy’ is written for a big sound.

’Hey Look Me Over’ is an excellent idea! 

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#44re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 10/2/18 at 4:12am

DefyGravity23 said: ""You've Got Possibilities" I didn't know that anyone had ever heard of that song before. I had to do a tap dance to it a couple years ago and I had never heard of the musical. I looked everywhere for info on it but could only find a little bit...."

It's from IT'S A BIRD! IT'S A PLANE! IT'S SUPERMAN!, 1966; the song was a monster hit though the show was not.

The original features Linda Lavin (she had a big sitcom in the 1970s called ALICE; last year she starred on another, shorter-lived sitcom, 9JKL) employing a jazz arrangement. But it was covered by numerous other singers in various styles.

In fact, it's what we used to call, a "standard". Here is a link to the digital sheet music:

https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0025998

Yours,
Grandpa

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#45re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 10/2/18 at 4:20am

ShuQ said: "'Shy' is a good personality song but I don't really think it's the perfect one for someone who can't sing...I dunno, maybe you disagree...

I'd suggest 'Doin' What Comes Natur'lly' from Annie Get Your Gun
"

(Emphasis added.)

You are correct, ShuQ. Anyone who doubts you should look up Sarah Jessica Parker singing "Shy" at the 1997 Tony Awards. I love Parker, but that song was not kind to her, despite the fact that she spent her childhood in ANNIE. Actually, Princess Winifred's big number, "Happily Ever After" (a faux torch song) would be easier for anybody who doesn't have a big (and pitch perfect) belt.

Your other choice is great for a non-singer. Lots of jokes to play and not so much range. Probably not overdone these days.

TravisOKC
#46re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 10/2/18 at 1:39pm

How about "My New Philosophy" from You're A Good Man Charlie Brown?

Loopin’theloop
#47re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 10/2/18 at 3:47pm

TravisOKC said: "How about "My New Philosophy" from You're A Good Man Charlie Brown?"

Huh? You absolutely have to be able to sing for that! 

TravisOKC
#48re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 10/2/18 at 5:36pm

Loopin’theloop said: "TravisOKC said: "How about "My New Philosophy" from You're A Good Man Charlie Brown?"

Huh? You absolutely have to be able to sing for that!
"

There are definitely some technical parts to that song, but also some parts that aren't all that difficult.  

Niles Silvers
#49re: How 'bout an audition song for someone who cant sing??
Posted: 10/2/18 at 9:37pm

This happened to a friend of mine, and he sang "Tit Willow".