News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?

Yankeefan007
#0Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:10am

From NY Daily News

"Girls just want a Broadway run

Cyndi Lauper on the Great White Way? Please, God, yes!

The '80s pop pixie is angling to make her Broadway debut as Mrs. Lovett, the cannibal cook in Stephen Sondheim's "Sweeney Todd."

"Cyndi came in to audition and just blew the producers away," says a source close to the production. "She was incredibly prepared, knew the music and knocked their socks off.

The only trouble is, she's never done musical theater before. But they're seriously considering taking the risk."

They better! The show will open this fall."

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#1re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:11am

Maybe this is the raging teenybopper I try to subside...but...

YES!!!!!!

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:11am

This could either be really brilliant or really really bad. I love Cyndi Lauper and she actually has a freakish vocal range, AND has enough screws loose to be believable as Lovett...still not sure about it, but very intrigued.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#3re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:12am

Oh my God I LOVETT!!!!!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#4re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:15am

I think she would be brilliant if she can loose her accent and get the British dialect down. Go for it!

(That is if Streep is unavailable.)

PEACE.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#5re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:16am

I heard a 'very reliable' rumor she was in talks to be Audrey, but talk$ did not work out...I think that would have been good.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#6re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:17am

Audrey in Little Shop? Isn't she waaaay too old for that role?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#7re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:20am

I really don't want to hear Streep singing Sondheim. Unless she's been secretly working with Joan Lader for the past 15 years...

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#8re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:21am

Are you sure your not thinking of Faith Prince? Who was Audrey in a workshop or something, but didn't get the original role, who also would like to play Mrs. Lovett?

Gothampc
#9re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:25am

Does she realize the amount of time and energy it takes to do this show 8 times a week? I hope she has the stamina for it.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#10re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:28am

Jeez...she's not 80 years old. And she has toured before. I'm sure she's not stupid and wouldn't go out for this unless she understood the commitment and the work it involves.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#11re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:28am

Lauper, Gotham?? Have you seen her perform live? You're kidding, right?

You do realize the stamina of a concert tour, and being the only performer onstage for 2 hours?

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#12re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:31am

I think it'll work. She's got my support.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#13re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:32am

Mine as well.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#14re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:35am

Rath, many would have said the same about Landsbury back in 1964, so your Streep comment is moot! Besides, Meryl has a better singing voice than most people know.

PEACE.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#15re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 11:37am

I've heard her sing a couple of times. I don't hear much strength/power. Lansbury doesn't have a pretty voice, but she has power. I suppose that doesn't matter these days.

Chloe Profile Photo
Chloe
#16re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 1:11pm

This seems like a potentially good idea. She's a terrific singer with years of training and has the sort of moxie that feels right for that role.

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#17re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 1:15pm

Please tell me you're saying Meryl Streep doesn't have a strong voice, and not Cyndi Lauper.

-Vincent

TonyaFanatic Profile Photo
TonyaFanatic
#18re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 1:20pm

i love this idea. i am a lauper freak! she's great
i thought streep's singing in postcards from the edge was beautiful.

"Girl, this cupcake is the jumpoff"- Adriane Lenox

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#19re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 1:23pm

I'm saying Streep has the weaker voice, which should be clear from my other posts.

And yes, Tonya, she has a pretty tone, but not a voice that would fill a theater by any means. Unless, like I said earlier, she's been working very hard.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#20re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 1:27pm

I am not comparing Streep's voice to Laupers. But have you heard her sing in Postcards From the Edge? She could certainly handle Lovett if Landsbury could. I would love to see either or both play this role.

PEACE.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#21re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 1:29pm

Yes, Sueleen, I have. That is one of my favorite movies.

IT TWIRRRRRRRLED UP!!!!!

WISHIHADATONY Profile Photo
WISHIHADATONY
#22re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 1:29pm

How exciting it would be to see Lauper "tackle" Lovett. I hope she does it and I hope she is great.

"Blow out the candles Robert and make a wish. Want something, want SOMETHING."

#23re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 1:34pm

DO you think Sondheim will mind if we replace "Not While I'm Around" with Cyndi singing "True Colors" to Toby?

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#24re: Lauper as Mrs. Lovett?
Posted: 4/23/05 at 1:39pm

i can really see her as mrs. lovett's! will just have to see i guess

Videos