pixeltracker

Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?

Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:39pm

I paid a visit to my old friend, the DVD of INTO THE WOODS. And I know things know, many curious things, that I hadn't known before - er, noticed before.

Some of the acting is horrible. Laughable. Amateur.

Bernadette Peters - LOVE her. However, I couldn't help but seeing Bernadette Peters on stage, rather than the Witch. She was an actress, not a character. There was a moment where she says a line, and her head is still down, and then her eyes look up toward the audience. She TOTALLY stepped out of character for a moment. Took my right out of the story and reminded me it was a play. But she has a wonderful voice and did some great things.

Joanna Gleason, Kim Crosby, Danielle Ferland, Barbra Byrne - Incredible. The best acting in the show. Especially Danielle. Not sure how old she was at the time, but she WAS a little girl. Just A+ all the way. Everyone was great.

Chip Zien - the worst acting in the entire show. Some of the worst I have seen on the professional stage. He sings, on pitch, at least. Awful facial expressions. They don't coincide with his vocal emotion. Many times there is lack of emotion. Why hadn't I noticed this before? He was dreaful. Especially in the first scene/song: "Into the Woods." And when his father died and the cow was milking. And mostly everything he did. Awful.

The Princes - both fantastic.

Ben Wright - Very mixed in his portrayal of "Jack." He had a lot of great things, and a lot of "not the best choice" things. Minor little personality annoyances here and there. I think he was holding back vocally.

I saw the revival in 2002 with Vanessa Williams. I liked the Narrator in this production better. I liked the set design better as well, however in the original, I loved the conveyor belt ONLY in the final time it was used, when the Baker's Wife, now deceased, came out. Motionless, but moving in on the belt. Overlooking real life, deceased. Powerful. Mixed on many of the actors here. Curtain call was definitely better. I DESPISED the choreography in the Finale of the original production.

Take a look back, re-watch your INTO THE WOODS videos, and let me know your thoughts.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#1re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:42pm

Bernadette's character did wink at the audience, metaphorically. That is the character and she was phenomenal.

I believe Ferland was 15? Perhaps someone can confirm that.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Ellie3
#2re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:45pm

Phenomenal is definitely the word. Bernadette is a goddess, and she can do no wrong, at least not in my eyes.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#3re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:46pm

At first I hated Danielle Ferland, but I've gotten used to her. Her voice still bothers me a little, but not as much.

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#4re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:49pm

Out of curiosity has danielle done anything since then?...I rather liked her

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#5re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:51pm

I have not seen the DVD - perhaps it doesn't work as well as actually seeing it live. It was one of the most extraordinary theatrical experiences I have ever had.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BlueWizard Profile Photo
BlueWizard
#6re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:54pm

There seems to be controversy about Bernadette's portrayal of the Witch; people either love it or hate it. Bernadette certainly fuses the vaudeville elements into the character, and it's arguable whether that's appropriate or not. I myself didn't mind this wink-to-the-audience approach (the material does sometimes play up the Witch as a comic character, such as the Witch's Rap), but it's problematic when you try to reconcile it with the Witch's more serious moments.

I actually enjoy Chip Zien's performance, although I understand why others don't like it. He was like a character in a Woody Allen movie, which I believe is how Sondheim wanted the Baker to be played.

I absolutely love Ben Wright in the original production; he gives one of the best performances in the show, if you ask me. I think he captures that wide-eyed innocence and space-cadet naivete very well, and his voice is just gorgeous.

BlueWizard's blog: The Rambling Corner HEDWIG: "The road is my home. In reflecting upon the people whom I have come upon in my travels, I cannot help but think of the people who have come upon me."

joannagleason.com Profile Photo
joannagleason.com
#7re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:59pm

You're right about Danielle being great for her age. She really brought out a lot in the show. Obviously, I'm a tad biased about who is my favorite ::wink:: but I really think with Joanna being the baker's wife she was THE star. Her comedic timing was superb, but then again, so was much of the cast as well. About the only one I felt fell short was Jack. At times he seems awkward to me, and not in the coming-of-age gangly awkward one would hope that character would posses. Just my two cents.

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#8re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 10:59pm

Wow, Capn, I had a similar experience very recently...

I borrowed the movie from my theatre teacher. We used to watch the movie ALL the time whenever there was a sub. I LOVED it.
I borrowed the movie, and, it wasn't as wonderful as I remembered it. I adore Bernadette, but her singing wasn't as good as I had remembered. Neither was Joanna Gleason's. I adore both of them, but they just seemed really different to me for some reason. It might be because I saw the revival live, and I have the OLCR, so I was used to them...
On the other hand, I still loved Danielle, Chip, and Ben.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#9re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:02pm

Gleason was absolutely breathtaking. Having watched her on TV for years before, this was my first opportunity to see her onstage, and she won me over for life.

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#10re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:04pm

Original actors not as good? As good as....

Vanessa Williams. The shreaky Little Red. And the legendary Jack's Mother.

Yes. The revivial cast rocked. They were perfection.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#11re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:10pm

I still thought Joanna Gleason was amazing. I LOVE her, and I love her comedic timing. Her voice just sounded different than I remembered it.

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.

andyf
#12re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:28pm

Agree about Chip Zien.

He kind of yells a lot, too, really dopily (which I just made a word). "DON'T STRAY AND BE LATE," pops into my head right away. And I also hate how he's jumping around at the end of the opening, like an idiot. He has a great voice, but his "acting" definitely bothers me, I just thought it was blasphemous to say anything against the original cast of Into the Woods.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

maybethistime
#13re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:29pm

Just for the record, Danielle Ferland was around 16 when she originated the role (born in '71). IMO, that's simply AMAZING that she could do a show like that every night, let alone be SO convincing and add so much.

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#14re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:36pm

Danielle Ferland was a great Little Red. She always cracks me up with her delivery of "You talk to birds?"

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#15re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:48pm

i have watched the dvd alot..i think the whole cast is wonderful..i like peters version of the witch

#16re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:50pm

Could not disagree more Capn. Just watched the DVD about a week ago and thought at the time what an extraordinary cast it was. Wouldn't have recast a part.

Joanna Gleason is extraordinary. I always love to hear her see "Moment in the woods" and then hear the amazing ovation the audience gives her-- the applause just seems to go on and on. One of the great performances in my opinion.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#17re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/1/05 at 11:50pm

Mr. Tuttle, I said "Not So Good?" not "Not as good..."

I hate to compare them because the two productions were technically very different: set design, staging, direction, etc.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Tirso de Molina
#18re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/2/05 at 12:05am

It's one of those unexplainable mysteries that no preserved performance of a live event can capture 100% of the live experience. The DVD of the OBC Into the Woods is a perfect example; that show just awed me live, and though the dvd is a nice souvenir of the live experience, it's not the same.

with regard to specifics like the details of Zien's performance, it's also important to remember that the use of close-ups and certain camera angles in a recording makes watching it a different experience from always watching the entire stage during a performance -- in a way, the video director overpowers the stage direction, and forces the video spectator to focus on whatever the camera is zooming in on. Zien's performance worked VERY well in the theater; he and Lapine didn't conceive his portrayal with a video in mind.

tangentially, I was VERY moved by Zien's recreation of his role at the Wall to Wall Sondheim event at Symphony Space in March. he still embodies the Baker for me.

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#19re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/2/05 at 12:53am

Coincidentally enough, I was just watching a few minutes of this earlier tonight while my wife ran next door to borrow something new to watch with our kids.

I sort of lost my love for Joanna Gleason when she snubbed me after a performance of DRS at the Old Globe, but watching her tonight I fell in love again. She was just incredible in that role, singing and acting it perfectly.

In fact, I can't really fault any of the performances. As has been said, if some of the actors appear to be overdoing it, it's probably due to the effect of zooming in on them more than anything else.

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#20re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/2/05 at 1:01am

I almost wet my pants when I read the title of this thread...
I did when I read it...
I did again when I learned that there weren't more people with the opinion that the acting in this show is flawless...

Bernadette is AMAZING and captures the role PERFECTLY
Chip...genuine
Gleason...wow
Ben...wowsers

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

WayWicked
#21re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/2/05 at 2:48am

I don't understand why you are now saying that you didn't mean some of the actors were bad in the original ITW. You said that. You're saying it in your title no matter how you phrase it.

the original cast..supurb. Revival....a waste of money.

Happy Happy Joy Joy

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#22re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/2/05 at 4:10am

I've always adored all the original cast performances, but twice I saw Chip Zien walk through the show; in fact, on one occasion he was also breaking up and trying to make other performers go up. So, I'm afraid I'm no longer a fan.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#23re: Looking Back: Original INTO THE WOODS Actors Not So Good?
Posted: 5/2/05 at 5:21am

Chip Zien was too whiny.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

#24Startin' stuff on the board
Posted: 5/2/05 at 9:49am

Reconsidering, I wish I hasn't replied to this thread. I think Capn is just trying to "stir some sh*t up." I don't think even he believes his basic premise. He certainly hasn't proved his ridiculous charges that the performances were "laughable" or "Amateur."

Videos