Casting Ideas for DRS tour

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#0Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:26pm

With the recently announced tour of DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, does anyone have good casting ideas for the leads?

For Lawrence I was toying with the idea of Daniel Davis. Now, I don't know if he'd accept the role or if anyone would even hire him. But I think he's perfectly suited for the role and I think he could do alot with it. It could also help him build up his reputation again. Of course, he'd have to dye his hair.

For Freddy I was stuck. But then I had an idea. Now, I'm sure many will disagree with me. But I thought how good Neil Patrick Harris would be at this role. I don't know if he has Norbert's range, but I just this he would be hysterical at this role. And he could probably replace Norbert on Broadway when he leaves the show. I think it could definitely work.

For Christina I was thinking maybe someone along the lines of Jennifer Westfeldt or even Alice Ripley is she were willing to do a tour.

For Muriel the thought of Linda Mugleston popped into my head. But then I began to doubt if she would even want to do a tour. At least she'd be the front runner instead of the understudy for once. She could more than handle it, I'm sure.

These are ideas that I've come up with. Feel free to give comments or post your own ideas.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Parks
#1re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:35pm

I leave for 2 days and a DRS tour is announced?? Hm. I can't leave BWW for this long again. Where was it posted that there is going to be a tour? That's awesome!!

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

Yankeefan007
#2re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:37pm

Freddy - I'd love to see Jason Alexander do it....he can put a new spin on Freddy (middle aged, bald, and washed up), Adam Pascal definately, even Bo Bice from American Idol

Lawrence - Jason Alexander, Larry David, Richard Kind, Howard Stern

Christine - Kelly Ripa, Jane Krakowski, Felicia Finley

Muriel - Bernadette Peters

Andre - Brian Stokes Mitchell

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#3re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:38pm

LOL - I'm thinking that this is a role Davis could probably do in his sleep. And for that reason, he probably wouldn't do it. I can't help thinking that years and years of dramatic theatrical training and experience did not necessarily serve him well in "La Cage". I hate saying that because I'd LOVE to get a CD of his singing in something, ANYTHING. I'm just not sure he has the temperment at this stage of his life to do musical comedy. I just hope that it isn't too long before we have a chance to see him on stage again. Backstage might not be a treat, but on stage he's a pure delight.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#4re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:41pm

I HIGHLY doubt Stokes or Peters would take supporting roles in a tour.

Mamie - I definitely know that the role is something Davis can do in his sleep. But, the LA CAGE rumors and firing really put limits on what Davis can choose to do or not do. It might even affect whether or not he gets offered anything in the future. Which is why doing the role would be a good move for him. It would show that he is able to do a great job at a role and still be professional with the cast.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde
Updated On: 5/11/05 at 09:41 PM

Yankeefan007
#5re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:42pm

can you see Jason Alexander in either of those roles, though? Lawrence or Freddy, I mean
Updated On: 5/11/05 at 09:42 PM

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#6re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:42pm

Daniel Davis would work

Not sure about NPH..... not really masculine enough, in that beer guzzling way. I'd love to see Pascal (would he tour?), Hunter Foster, Chris Fitzgerald, and MAYBE Christian Borle, Mcintyre would work here too.

Christine- Ripley reads a little to worldly, not quite innocent enough. Plus I doubt she'd tour with this. She is committed to Arena's DAMN YANKEES. Westfeldt is kind of right in personality, but not vocally. I'd say Lauren Kennedy, but with a new baby, I doubt she'd tour. MAYBE Nancy Anderson? umm... Kate Baldwin may work.

Muriel- Linda would be willing to tour, she could do this if they keep it in Joanna Gleason mode.

Andre- you didn't give any suggestions, so I'm going throw one out: If SWEET CHARITY lands in demise: Paul Schoeffler. Perhaps Mark Harelik (PIAZZA)

Finley would work too!
Updated On: 5/11/05 at 09:42 PM

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#7re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:56pm

Doogie - I thought of Pascal, too. I didn't think he would tour. Broadway replacement, yes. But, I don't know if he would tour with the show.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#8re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 9:57pm

Lawrence- Charles Shaughnessy (sp?) aka the other guy from the nanny/ the final cladwell in urinetown.

freddy- wow this one's a tough call...

muriel- rachel dibenedet (the current u/s)

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#9re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 10:08pm

Shaughnessy might work...hows his range? Didn't catch him in URINETOWN so I wouldn't know his singing ability.

I'm still pulling for Davis. But both would work.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#10re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 10:10pm

Adam's comedy is... rusty, guys.
I could see Hunter Foster doing it, though.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 5/11/05 at 10:10 PM

wendy72 Profile Photo
wendy72
#11re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 10:15pm

Tom Hewitt, Jeff McCarthy, Charles Shaughnessy--Lawrence

Hunter,Chris Fitz--Freddy (no Joey Mc, please!)

Christianne Noll, Kerry Butler-Christine

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#12re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 10:18pm

I'd LOVE to see Hunter as Freddy!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

TheGaIsSilent Profile Photo
TheGaIsSilent
#13re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 10:19pm

Ooh, good suggestion on Chris Fitzgerald. He'd be great.

JOHN LITHGOW I just realized, your last name is Butz! Both "Norbert" AND "Butz" are in your name! You must have gotten picked on a lot as a child!

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#14re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 10:28pm

Christiane Noll all the way. She was amazing in Urinetown.

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#15re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 10:35pm

WHOAA i totally thought of Hunter Foster before I read this thread, so ill 3rd the idea :)

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#16re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 11:20pm

How about F. Murray Abraham for Lawrence?

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#17re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 11:25pm

JLT is going to be out of Wicked by then, she might be good for Christina

apdarcey
#18re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 11:42pm

jlt might be good, but whoever said kerry butler... that's a brilliant idea! i would really support kerry... i think actually that this might be right up christian borle's alley for freddy... i also really like chris fitzgeral, he would be good! i don't think hunter's physical comedy is totally there... he's more in the head... muriel, how would people feel about mary testa? she'd bring a whole lot of woman to that role... and to counter her i actually think jason alexander would be an amazing andre! and for lawrence... hmmm. he is the toughy because he has to totally carry the show. i'm very happy that lithgow got a nomination, he really deserved it.. even jack o'brien said that they built that show on lithgow, there would be no way to have it without him. he owns the show... so who to lead the tour... i like the idea of charles o'shaughnessy, i think he would be better than davis... he would actually be very good, and his vocal range is fine for the role.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#19re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 11:45pm

I think JLT's a much better choice than Kerry Butler. There's something about Kerry's acting that I don't really love... I really like her voice, but there's something about her acting that feels kind of stiff and plasticized, and I think that would hurt her ability to really get all the laughs.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

apdarcey
#20re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 11:46pm

well then jlt is fine... haha

MatureDignity Profile Photo
MatureDignity
#21re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/11/05 at 11:50pm

I like the idea of JLT!

I disagree re: Hunter's physical comedy. I think it's one of his strongest points. Wouldn't it be cool if he and JLT were cast? Keeping with the theme of people working together multiple times...

I'm seeing the show again next week. re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour

apdarcey
#22re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/12/05 at 12:01am

well in that case why doesn't the whole original cast of urinetown meet up for the tour:

lawrence-john cullum
freddy-hunter foster
christine-jennifer laura thompson
andre-jeff mccarthy
muriel-nancy opel
jolene-spencer kayden

that would be out of control (i don't know good or bad...)

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#23re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/12/05 at 12:07am

That is great ap, but I love the Jason Alexander, Mary Testa Andre/Muriel combo that is a totally different take on the characters I'd love to see.
(in reading I realized I didn't give Ap the credit) this is apdarcey's idea from above, I just second it.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
Updated On: 5/12/05 at 12:07 AM

apdarcey
#24re: Casting Ideas for DRS tour
Posted: 5/12/05 at 12:13am

i agree (that's why i said it!)... though i would probably love to see mary testa in anything. but i actually think jason alexander would be an excellent andre... and can i just air my frustration that gregory jbara didn't get a tony nomination. he was totally robbed. also michael benjamin washington (but he doesn't belong in this thread..). both should have beat those idiots from spamalot and christian borle instead of kudisch... but i digress... and now that i'm thinking about it... michael benjamin washington would be a rip-roaringly hilarious freddy... oh, he's much better than anyone else we mentioned!

Videos