pixeltracker

Has RENT film release date changed???

Has RENT film release date changed???

jim Profile Photo
jim
#0Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 10:06am

An article in today's local paper about the upcoming summer season of movies. There was a sidebar articel about potential blockbusters that already have release dates for next summer. Products like The Da Vinci Code and the next X Men franchise. In the article,Rent was listed for a May 2006 opening. What happened to Nov. 15th?! Anyone able to confirm?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#1re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 10:12am

The official website still says November 11, 2005. I sure as hell hope it's not next May.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#2re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 10:13am

Can't comment on the validity of a date change, but if it's true, it may mean that the film won't be finished editing by November, or the studio views the film as a summer release (youth audience) rather then an awards bait film (November/December release). Not a bad idea in my opinion, as I think the film will appeal mostly to fans of the show and teenagers.

The one place you don't want to see the film released is February/March which is always the "dumping" ground for studios' cast off children.
Updated On: 5/26/05 at 10:13 AM

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#3re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 10:24am

I don't think summer is the best place for the Rent movie to be released though. It would be lost in the slew of blockbusters.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#4re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 10:34am

I agree that summer of 2006 might not be the best time for the RENT movie release. With some hugely anticipated blockbusters that are coming out around that time that would most definitly attract the teenage audience (Pirates of the Carribean 2 for example), RENT could very well be lost in the slew. That and I'd go absolutely insane if they made me wait til May of 2006 to see the movie. Seriously, I'd go into cardiac arrest or something.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

pab Profile Photo
pab
#5re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 10:35am

The Rent Blog still says 11.11.05 and that site was updated only yesterday.

Rent Blog

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 5/26/05 at 10:35 AM

Bwaybaby109
#6re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 10:37am

lol me too Dreamcatched they better not delay this movie any longer! A little of me will die inside if it does....actually make that a lot, like the majority.

"Have a child for warmth and a baker for bread and a prince for... whatever!"

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#7re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 10:42am

It could be worse, they could have pulled the movie from its original date and then not announced a new one for it. Like the movie of Proof, for example.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

timote316
#8re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 10:53am

I'd doubt they'd do that, popcultureboy, as its mostly finished (and the studio has already poured lots of money into producing and promoting the film).

Just keep a lookout on the splash page of the Rent site, since thats a studio-maintained page. If that date stays on that page, its all good.

Michael Bennett
#9re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 11:14am

Timote -- the film of PROOF was long finished when Miramax pulled it. The reason for that film's delay is that it was not "testing" well and Miramax chose to postpone it and focus on their more certain Oscar nominees.

Film date changes are actually pretty common, and can happen even just a couple of weeks before the scheduled release date.

MOULIN ROGUE! was originally a December release and it was postponed until the following summer, and it did just fine, so I wouldn't freak out if RENT takes a similar move.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#10re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 1:30pm

I believe they have mistaken the RENT movie musical for the HAIRSPRAY or DREAMGIRLS movie musical.

RENT will not be delayed.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

thenextfiyero Profile Photo
thenextfiyero
#11re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 1:40pm

just want everyone to see this

"That's a lot of mooning for me. For any of you that are new to the show, Maureen tries to embarrass Benny in front of these investors by dropping trou. Needless to say the crew is well acquainted with my ass and that's ok because they are the coolest guys ever." <
idina your awesome

Michael Bennett
#12re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 1:42pm

Hook -- why are you so certain the film won't be delayed. As I say above, films are delayed all the time for any variety of reasons....

525600minutesWicked Profile Photo
525600minutesWicked
#13re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 1:45pm

OMG !! IT CANT BE CHANGED !! I CAN BARELY WAIT FOR THE ORIGINAL DATE !!! In fact, Im seeing it this weekend (5/2re: Has RENT film release date changed??? And I cna barely wait till THEN !! I cannot wait to see the original cast. And I think that the newspaper is screwed up b.c. if the official site says november, someone cant just change it....

incendiary_wit Profile Photo
incendiary_wit
#14re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 1:50pm

In regards to a date change, I personally think (from what I've seen) RENT could have a chance at the Oscar's, it seems well done and there will be a kick ass fanbase to help them along.

In regards to the Idina quote, I read it and squeed out loud in my class during the final exam and didn't apologize. I can't wait for the movie!

1. Ted Allen: Everyone has an interesting life if you ask the right questions.
2. Great buckets of Spoffnor, they're going to sing!
3. "I love shrubs that are historical." -Johnny and The Sprites
4. "We're not singing it to you, we're singing it for us." -Rosario Dawson, about La Vie Boheme
5. "The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours." -The History Boys
6. "Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on." -The History Boys

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#15re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:07pm

I was surprised how soon the release date was when they annoucned it. I have been preparing (and half expecting) for the release date to be pushed back. I would rather them take their time in post production then rush to get it out on time. I can wait a few months!

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#17re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:19pm

Michael Bennett,

It is true films are delayed all the time. However, this was from a local newspaper. And they make mistakes all the time.

I have seen no valid source suggest a May 2006 release.

It's very possible, however unlikely. I haven't heard of any production problems or delays.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#18re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:21pm

"But I want it for my birthday!"

Well sometimes we don't get what we want. Now finish you peas. You cannot leave the table until you do!

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

FosseBoi
#19re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:21pm

Thenardier- Well if we had it on my B-day, ppl would be VERY happy because its June 9! Well, that is if we did it this year!lol!

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#20re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:24pm

yea, don't let them push it off till June '06

FosseBoi
#21re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:26pm

Hun, thats why I said THIS year.

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#22re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:27pm

I know.

But that's less likely than Nov.

re: Has RENT film release date changed??? or re: Has RENT film release date changed???

broadwayalto01 Profile Photo
broadwayalto01
#23re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:38pm

I doubt they push it back.. I pray they don't!!

Life is like a patio door, you never know which side is open... and then you run into the glass.... ~Connie and Carla

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#24re: Has RENT film release date changed???
Posted: 5/26/05 at 2:43pm

So many people seem to be accepting that this statement is possibly valid, but jim said that it was just a sidebar in a local paper. I wouldn't consider that to be the most accurate source out there, especially when the studio website still has it listed as November 11th. Why would the Podunkville Post (no offense to your town jim) have exclusive information on a changed release date that wasn't even announced by the studio? They just have a horrible fact-checker.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Videos