NY Times Chooses Best Musical

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#0NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 10:05am

In the NY Times article, it says that (their experts) predict a Best Musical win for either Spam or Spelling.

I don't see voters going for another Ave Q so I'll give it to Spam.

Discuss.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.
Updated On: 6/3/05 at 10:05 AM

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#1re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 10:20am

I'd say if Spamalot doesn't win, that we should look for a Piazza upset.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#2re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 10:23am

Much as I loved Spamalot, I don't think its necessarily deserving of Best Musical. I would love to see either Guettel or Finn get that particular award. Piazza is the most gorgeous thing I've ever heard.

That said...should Spamalot win I will jump in the air with my Christina Apple-tini (remember, I'm having a Tony party) and cheer!:)

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#3re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 10:25am

My preference is for DRS, but I fear there is no hope.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

thirdrowcenter Profile Photo
thirdrowcenter
#4re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 10:36am

I won't see Light in the Piazza till a week after the Tony's so I'm hoping DRS wins. Spamalot was very entertaining also.

Mr. Tuttle
#5re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 11:02am

Spam has lost its early support. DRS is where?

As much as we would all like to see a Q, I'm afraid this year voters will go back to their old tricks and serve Spam.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#6re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:34pm

Spam or DRS

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#7re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:38pm

I firmly believe that DRS will win.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#8re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 12:45pm

And Munk we Agree again...could be wrong as all hell, but I see it as the underdog that everyone will be voting for and just not mentioning...IT WAS BY FAR THE BEST OF THE BUNCH!

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#9re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 1:53pm

Go DRS! I'm not expecting it to win at all, if for nothing else I won't be disappointed if it doesn't but I will be ecstatically surprised if it does.

I'd be pretty pleased if Piazza won as well, feel same way about that. Believing Spam is fav and Bee second, so mine are two underdogs, hope there's an upset!

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#10re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 2:08pm

I would like to see DRS take the win.
I think Spamalot will.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

MargoChanning
#11re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 2:30pm

Riedel's picks are virtually identical except in the revival categories where he predicts Virginia Woolf over Twelve Angry Men, and says "La Cage" is on its last legs (the rumor is that it will close in mid-June whether it wins the Tony or not), so the award will probably go to "Sweet Charity" by a nose or, as one voter says, "a broken foot."

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/44837.htm

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#12re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 2:33pm

Great Tony year. Many surprises.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bwaysinger Profile Photo
bwaysinger
#13re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 2:35pm

How sad is it when I agree pretty much completely with Reidel's results, if not his reasoning?

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#14re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 2:38pm

I'm still pulling for a DRS upset.

DebbieDowner2 Profile Photo
DebbieDowner2
#15re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 4:16pm

All I gotta say is thank god we have a quality year. Or we would have had doo doo like Little Women or Chitty nominated.

You too can be a famous singer with no French accent and wear a Twister game board in just 15 days!! Ask me how!!

Mr. Tuttle
#16re: NY Times Chooses Best Musical
Posted: 6/3/05 at 5:24pm

Where are the good days when we only had 2 Best Musical contenders?

Videos