Jerry Orbach not mentioned?

andiG
#0Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:30pm

Did anyone else think it was odd that Jerry Orbach was not listed among those people who passed away this year? And then when they got to Fredd Ebb they started playing "Razzle Dazzle" which was then performed by Orbach's "Law and Order" co-star, Jesse L. Martin?

timote316
#1re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:32pm

I would have liked to have him mentioned, but the whole performance was for Jerry. His friend and co-star, Jesse L. Martin, performing the song that made him famous. I thought that was a great performance. Jesse sounded great.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#2re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:32pm

yeah i noticed that too...odd...

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#3re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:34pm

yeah it was weird.....and sad.

andiG
#4re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:34pm

But not to even mention his name or show his picture? It could have been for Fred Ebb, as well. I think it was a goof. Updated On: 6/5/05 at 10:34 PM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#5re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:35pm

It looked like his photo up there as the last one. The audience reacted with applause but I never heard his name mentioned eaither.

andiG
#6re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:38pm

We have tivo and went back to check and never saw his picture. It's possible that the audience could see something that the tv audience couldn't.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#7re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:39pm

His face was on the screen just as the song started. They showed him

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

andiG
#8re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:44pm

My brother also pointed out to me that they completely forgot Christopher Reeve.

suzycat Profile Photo
suzycat
#9re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:46pm

nope, christopher reeve was the very first person they showed, but his name didn't make it onto the screen. (it was, however on the screen that was onstage at radio city)

KelRel Profile Photo
KelRel
#10re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:46pm

Was Christopher Reeve on B'way?

"All the while making faces like a baby platypus who forget to take some Beano before eating a chimichanga." FindingNamo in reference to Jessica Simpson's singing.

ConvinceMe2 Profile Photo
ConvinceMe2
#11re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:48pm

Jerry Orbach was shown. He was the last photo shown, prior to the song. His name was not mentioned. I feel they should have had a special tribute to him.

ConvinceMe2 is dead. Long live BrendanStryker!

andiG
#12re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:50pm

Marlon Brando was the first person they showed.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#13re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:52pm

No, Christopher Reeves was the first shown. It was lightning fast.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2
Updated On: 6/5/05 at 10:52 PM

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#14re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:54pm

Somebody definitely messed up. The glimpse of Orbach's picture at the end was obviously not all that was intended.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#15re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 10:57pm

Yeah, Reeve was in FIFTH OF JULY (thought later replaced by a brilliant turn by Richard Thomas). And I saw him on the road with Hepburn in MATTERY OF GRAVIVTY.

Orbach deserved better, however.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

ConvinceMe2 Profile Photo
ConvinceMe2
#16re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:06pm

Yes, he deserved MUCH better. Instead of wasting everyone's time with rotten singing by Aretha Franklin (who has nothing to do with Broadway, and isn't even relevant to anything, anymore), there should have been a tribute to Orbach, who gave so much to theater.

ConvinceMe2 is dead. Long live BrendanStryker!

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#17re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:12pm

i think they screwed up the timing, whereas they did show jerry on the screen but didn't mention his name. I wish they let jesse do the full song though. Speaking of which someone make him billy flynn on broadway NOW!

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

cabarethed
#18re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:12pm

I thought that Jesse L Martin singing Razzle Dazzle was the tribute, as they worked together for years and Jerry Orbach was the first Billy Flynn.

onlylisab Profile Photo
onlylisab
#19re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:18pm

I thought that it was completely disrespectful that they FLEW through the individuals who passed away this year. It was obviously disorganized. I didn't have enough time to register who each person was before they would change the picture. Also, the camera was way too far back from the screen. It was hard to see. Ridiculous.

"First up was Max who sang "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" [...] I haven't seen that big of a reaction to a stair descent since Audra left the attic in Ragtime." --Seth Rudetsky

JamieMcG Profile Photo
JamieMcG
#20re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:19pm

Jerry was the final picture up. At the dress rehearsal today, the whole tribute segment went much slower with ample time for each person who has passed, to receive their applause. as for cutting away from Jerry, it was a CBS issue I believe or a directorial problem...

"There is nothing scary about life, if you are not attached to the results." - Conversations With God

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#21re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:24pm

I thought it was very sweet that Jesse sang the song though. I was touched. Wouldn't that have been awesome if they had sang together on Law and Order? I didn't even know Jesse could sing!

HROK?

onlylisab Profile Photo
onlylisab
#22re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/5/05 at 11:27pm

Jesse Martin was in the original cast of RENT. Yeah, he can DEFINITELY sing!

"First up was Max who sang "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" [...] I haven't seen that big of a reaction to a stair descent since Audra left the attic in Ragtime." --Seth Rudetsky

Becky
#23re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 12:35am

Jerry's photo was left up on the screen (for the live audience) much longer than it was broadcast on TV...as the screen comes up for the chorus to enter, his photo was still up if you look closely. So, it looks like his picture flying by so quickly can be blamed on the camera shot. Jesse even kind of gestured toward his photo as he began the opening lines - but it's just a shame they didn't get his name up there or leave the picture shot on screen longer.

#24re: Jerry Orbach not mentioned?
Posted: 6/6/05 at 11:03am

The first actor Chris Reeve and the last one Orbach, both names were left out.

Videos