Auditions for "Effie" in New 'Dreamgirls' Movie - NYC, LA, Atlanta

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0Auditions for "Effie" in New 'Dreamgirls' Movie - NYC, LA, Atlanta
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:06am

June 9, 2005
NYC Casting Call for 'Dreamgirls' "Effie"
By Andrew Hartman, MovieMusicals.net
If you will be in the NYC, LA, or Atlanta areas in the coming weeks, be alert for casting calls for the upcoming 'Dreamgirls' film. A search is underway to find a fresh new talent to portray "Effie White."

Here is a casting notice for New York City:

OPEN CALL
'DREAMGIRLS'
FEATURE FILM
DREAMWORKS/WARNER BROS.

SEEKING THE FOLLOWING ROLE ONLY:
EFFIE WHITE: AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN ACTRESS/SINGER WITH A HUGE GOSPEL BELT VOICE WITH GREAT POWER AND RANGE IN HER EARLY-LATE 20’S (NO OLDER!) TO PLAY THE LEADING ROLE OF ‘EFFIE WHITE’. BODY TYPES FROM ‘A FEW EXTRA POUNDS’ TO ‘FULL-FIGURED’ ARE WELCOME.

SET IN THE EARLY 1960'S TO THE 1970'S, THIS IS THE STORY OF THE AMAZING 'DREAMS' - THREE AFRICAN-AMERICAN GIRL SINGERS FROM THE PROJECTS OF DETROIT WHO BREAK THEIR HEARTS ON THE PATH TO STARDOM. THIS MAJOR DREAMWORKS/WARNER BROS. STUDIO FEATURE WILL BEGIN SHOOTING IN JANUARY ’06 IN LOS ANGELES.

AUDITION:
DATE: SATURDAY JUNE 18, 2005
244 WEST 54TH STREET
10TH FLOOR STUDIO A
TIME: SIGN IN BEGINS AT 10:00AM
(STUDIO OPENS AT 9:30AM)
AUDITIONS BEGINS AT 11:00AM
SIGN IN STOPS AT 1:00PM

TO PREPARE: ONE UPTEMPO GOSPEL, R&B, OR POP THEATRE SONG THAT SHOWS VOICE AND RANGE. BRING SHEET MUSIC. A PIANIST WILL BE PROVIDED. BRING A PICTURE AND RESUME.

If you are unable to attend this call, please send your picture and resume to:
Binder Casting
321 West 44th Street, Suite 606
New York, NY 10036
Attn: Dreamgirls

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 6/9/05 at 12:06 AM

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#1re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:08am

Detroit?! The Dreams were from Chicago!!!
I just don't understand some of the script changes I've been hearing about.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:08am

Anyone here planning to attend?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#3re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:09am

Ooooh! Exciting!

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#4re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:13am

I am hoping that was a typo by some clueless casting director's administrative assistant.

Kringas
#5re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:48am

Detroit?! The Dreams were from Chicago!!! I just don't understand some of the script changes I've been hearing about.

If the rumor that in the film they are going to be from Detroit is true, my guess is to kind of hammer home the Supremes connection. I'm less concerned about that than I am about the addition of the young Michael Jackson-esque character, etc. Who knows, though, what shape the screenplay will actually shape up to be?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#6re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 5:32am

three black girls....singing group...sequins...

that's enough hammering for me. re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#7re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 9:57am

Definitely disturbed that they feel the need to push the Supremes connection...especially that Michael Jackson character. I am wondering if, as with most movie musicals, there will be a new number(s)...always adds to the oscar noms possiblities.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#8re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 10:24am

There will be 5 new numbers and Beyonce will sing them all at the Oscars.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#9re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 10:27am

That always confused me. Why do composers have to write a brand new song just for the movie, in order to get their song an Osccar nom. In the case of Chicago and Phantom, the entire score that was used is, in fact, comprised of original songs as far as movies go. Why can't any of the songs from the original score get nominations?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#10re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 10:32am

Allowing any song to be nominated would open a whole new can of worms as to what would qualify and what wouldn't. I think requiring to have the song written for the film direcly is a smart idea, in the same way the Tony's require the score to be new and directly written for the stage, so ABBA and Billy Joel don't win for best score.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#11re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 10:33am

Robbiej, get your white ass down there, Sister. Never mind the age requirement. Just go show 'em your stuff.

PEACE.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#12re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:10pm

Three new songs, possibly four, are being written for the film.

--Aristotle

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#13re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:15pm

Why on earth would they do that? Every principal character in the show as is gets at least one great number and plenty of chances to shine
If they're adding four new songs, what are the cutting? Because the movie certainly is not going to be 3 hours long

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#14re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 12:54pm

DETROIT is hot! DETROIT, WHAT!?

GhettoBway Profile Photo
GhettoBway
#15re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 1:45pm

HIYAH DETROIT IS A SEEDY GHETTO

but i know some girls going to this and i know a guy from this board who went out for a role in the movie also.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#16re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 1:58pm

Little known fact, but the vast majority of posters on BWW are actually full figured black gospal mamas in their mid 20s...

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#17re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 2:06pm

no one knows this but i've purposely gained about fiddy punds (that's fifty pounds, for you 'white folks') and got a massive tan.
now my "black @ss" is on it's way to ny to audition for this role.
wish me some luck...
'cuz once i get ta singin' it's over for da rest of dem b!tches!

GhettoBway Profile Photo
GhettoBway
#18re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 2:17pm

and Michael B how do you know this?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#19re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 2:22pm

Honey, I AM "Sing Mahelia Sing."

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
MargoChanning
#21re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 2:25pm

Re: "Sing Mahalia Sing"

-- Loved that show!

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

GhettoBway Profile Photo
GhettoBway
#22re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 2:26pm

GURL BOO

I know your real name and its not giving me black female
Updated On: 6/9/05 at 02:26 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#23re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 2:28pm

Whoa. Where did this threadjack originate from? :-P

Sha-na-na?

--Aristotle
Updated On: 6/9/05 at 02:28 PM

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#24re: Audition for 'Effie' in 'Dreamgirls' Movie (New York City)
Posted: 6/9/05 at 2:58pm

Detroit...home of the flyest gator wearin' church goin' hustlers!

Videos