pixeltracker

BEST COLLEGES BFA MUSICAL THEATER- Page 10

BEST COLLEGES BFA MUSICAL THEATER

WishingOnlyWounds2
#225Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 2/28/09 at 9:17pm

How are casting directors if you have a out of country degree? Such as one from Laine Theatre Arts in England?

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

CSonBroadway Profile Photo
CSonBroadway
#226Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/1/09 at 10:23am

Although some people think going to college for theatre is a waste, I think it can be a good thing since you can get tons of training and in dance also if you weren't much of a dancer before.

I'm a professional. Whenever something goes wrong on stage, I know how to handle it so no one ever remembers. I flash my %#$&. "Jayne just sat there while Gina flailed around the stage like an idiot."

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#227Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/1/09 at 10:44am

"How are casting directors if you have a out of country degree? Such as one from Laine Theatre Arts in England?"

Your degree and school can only help you... not hurt you.

There's a ridiculous perception that if you have a B.A. in Communications and the other person has a BFA in Musical Theatre, you'll be the one fighting an uphill battle. This is simply not true.

Casting Directors are looking for the talent, the right "look", and the "it" factor. They're starting to care less and less about the actual program - they're just happy to see when you have some type of degree. It shows commitment and dedication.

kissmekateshindle Profile Photo
kissmekateshindle
#228Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/1/09 at 6:39pm

I know that each person needs to find the program that is right for them, but if you're looking to have success playing ACTUAL roles on Broadway, look no further than Ithaca College. Find me actors that have had more success than Kerry Butler, Matt Cavenaugh, Aaron Tveit, and Mark Price in the past 10 years or so. They have been creating original roles and characters non-stop since they graduated from college. These are four of the most prominent graduates but there are many more that continue to work on Broadway in featured roles in great shows. Ithaca is great for individual artists who want to great work in theatre.

jayclay
#229Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/1/09 at 6:46pm

I agree. Ithaca College's magazine has just started a series of articles about their graduates who have gone on to Broadway.

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#230Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/1/09 at 6:53pm

Ithaca's MT program is extremely questionable and messy.

Their acting program, on the other hand, is absolutely fabulous.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#231Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:39pm

Is Marrymount Mannhattans program that looked down upon? Other than looking at their website and such I dont know that much about it and kind of like but was wondering what your insights might be.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

WishingOnlyWounds2
#232Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/1/09 at 7:52pm

^^^
Annaleigh Ashford went there.

Just wondering, OP, if you still check these boards... which school did you choose?

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

seemynameinlights
#233Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/1/09 at 8:51pm

NYU is the best way to go, that is where I am going. Tisch has a great musical theatre program that focuses on acting and dance, and you get group vocal lessons. Steindhart is better if you want to be a superior singer. What I am going to do is major in Musical theatre at Cap21 and take my voice at Steindhart so I can have private lessons.

You will be in NY so you can audition for shows while your in college, if your serious about Musical Theatre you are going to end up in NY anyway, why not start there.

kissmekateshindle Profile Photo
kissmekateshindle
#234Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/1/09 at 9:03pm

The Charleston,
What is messy about a program that produces leading men and women on a regular basis? IC's MT and Acting programs are practically the same program. The MTs take all the same classes as the Acting majors.

kristin3 Profile Photo
kristin3
#236Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/5/09 at 9:53pm

i have soo many questions....
what is the best school
do you have to be thin to do musical theatre
is it good to have tech experience
do you think an average girl from indiana can make it in new york?

WishingOnlyWounds2
#237Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/5/09 at 9:54pm

You don't have to be thin to be into musical theatre, that is one of the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!

Anyone can make it if they have the talent and passion.

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#238Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/5/09 at 11:37pm

Is Mary Testa thin?

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

kristin3 Profile Photo
kristin3
#239Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/7/09 at 9:51am

so you dont have to be a size 2 to go on stgae?
and i have the passion i guess i just worry about the talent although my last director is at cuny college getting his doctorate in directing and he thinkds i can make it i still worry is that normal?

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#240Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 3/8/09 at 7:46pm

The Charleston - My best friend goes to Ithaca as a Drama major and he gave me the run down. Ithaca's BFA MT program is more or less its acting program with the addition of amazing music classes accompanied by amazing dance classes.

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

AMyNameisAuri
#241Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 4/22/09 at 10:33pm

Ithaca is a Great program! In fact, the Ithaca BFA Class of 2009 Showcase is coming up this May 11th at Theatre Row Studios (410 W. 42nd Street) at 3:30 and 6:30pm.

Some Ithaca College Alumni include: Matt Cavenaugh (West Side Story, Grey Gardens,) Kerry Buttler (Xanadu, Hairspray,) Aaron Tveit (Gossip Girl, Wicked, Hairspray, Next to Normal, Catch Me If You Can,) Dan Petrotta (Tale of Two Cities, Ever After), Kevin Greene (Grease: You're the One That I Want, Tale of Two Cities) Eric Jordan Young (Seussical, Sammy & Me, The Look of Love, Ragtime, Chicago), Sarah Schmidt (Jersey Boys), Caesar Samayoa (Hot Feet), Jen Waldman (Titanic, Wicked) Jerad Bortz (Mamma Mia, Wicked, Pirate Queen), Q Smith (Les Miserables), Jeremy Jordan (Rock of Ages), Joe Aaron Reid (Chicago, Curtains), Michelle Federer (Wicked, Three Days of Rain), Mark Price (You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, Mamma Mia!, The Rocky Horror Show, Dance of the Vampires, Wonderful Town, All Shook Up, Mary Poppins), Rebecca Rich (Zombie Prom), Erin Maguire (Forbidden Broadway, The Battery's Down) Steve Pacek (Walnut Street's Les Miserables), Bruce Warren (Cats, Oklahoma, Wizard of Oz tours) Brandon Andrus (Oklahoma tour), Casey Sweeney (Blue Man Group), Tricia Tanguy (Cats, The Producers, Joseph...Dreamcoat tours) Brooke Stone (Hairspray, Peter Pan, Grease tours), Kim Stern (A Doll's Life), Stacey Morgain Lewis (Wicked - Chicago Company), Zachary James (Coram Boy, South Pacific), Sal Mistretta (Cabaret, Sunset Boulevard, Evita), Ben Feldman (The Graduate, "Las Vegas," Friday the 13th), Amanda Setton (Gossip Girl) to name a few!

BroadwayBound5 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound5
#242Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:29am

Some of these are BFA's, others not (most are), but this is my list for schools to look into for MT or in the fields of:
Boston University (Not MT, but strong Acting and Voice programs)
Boston Conservatory
Elon U
U Michigan
Rutgers (For Acting)
U of the Arts
Emerson
Northwestern (strong vocal performance program)
Ithica
CCM
Hart School
NYU (tish)
Syracuse
American
Penn St.
Brown (Acting)
Yale (From what I hear it's on a downward slope though)
Carnegie Melon
Oklahoma City U
Wagner

I'd love to hear anyone's feedback on their opinions of these selective colleges..

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#243Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:59am

seemynameinlights---

As I understand, NYU is severing its relationship with cap21 in the coming years and attempting to build an in-house program....

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#244Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:02am

Of your list, I think the best-rated schools right now are (in the order they appeared above):

Boston Conservatory
University of Michigan
Emerson
Northwestern (they have an MT certificate)
Ithaca
CCM
Syracuse
Penn St.
Carnegie Mellon
Oklahoma City U

If you are planning to apply to one or more of these programs, I would definitely recommend the college confidential website. It has discussion boards for MT majors and also for each school.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#245Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 8/12/09 at 1:12am

Boston University (Not MT, but strong Acting and Voice programs) - Great acting school.

Boston Conservatory - Lovely.

Elon U - don't know too much about it.

U Michigan - their kids know how to market themselves, but recently UMich grads recently seem to all have less and less personality than those that are well-known.
http://www.youtube.com/user/UrInTown

Rutgers (For Acting) - don't know much.

U of the Arts - Strong musical theatre program, with great vocal and dance programs, but you won't learn how to act there.
http://www.youtube.com/user/UArtsTheatre

Emerson - Apparently it's gone downhill recently?
http://www.youtube.com/user/EmersonMusicalThea

Northwestern (strong vocal performance program) - Apparently a great acting program as well - wonderful graduate program to be sure.

Ithaca - don't know much.

CCM - These kids are FIERCE, but if you're looking for a typical college lifestyle and not one that is fiercely competitive and in which you live in fear for your first two years to avoid being cut, than this school is not the best. No question that the results are unbelievable, though.

Hart School - Know nothing.

NYU (tish) - Depends upon which school. I know that CAP21 stresses uniqueness and acting over vocal technique and dance, not to say that the training is at all shabby in the latter areas.

Syracuse - Don't know much, used to have a really strong rep for MT, but not sure anymore.

American - Where?

Penn St. - Second best. Penn State grads are all unbelievably talented musical theatre performers. check out their youtube page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/pennstatemt

Brown (Acting) - Strong rep, to be sure.

Yale - I'm not sure about undergrad, but the graduate program at Yale for acting is still without question the highest regarded in the world.

Carnegie Melon - The absolute best in my opinion. every CMU grad/student I've met is fabulously unique, a phenominal vocalist, a strong dancer, and an unbelievable actor.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PopSensation87

Oklahoma City U - Heard nothing but good things about this school. The few kids I know from OKCU are amazing.

Wagner - Don't know much.

Also for your consideration:
Webster U (for Musical Theatre) - The kids I know from this underdog school are REALLY talented and really professional.
Worth checking out.

Point Park (for Musical Theatre) - Point Park is known for it's students who can DANCE - but they're not slouches vocally either. Not sure about their acting programs.

Temple U - Temple has an amazing acting program and a fast growing reputation. A production ("In Conflict") of theirs recently played for six months off broadway at the barrow street, and was incredible (check out Brantley's review). Their musical theatre program is VERY new, but is shaping up nicely.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TempleMusicalTheater

NOTE: For those I didn't post youtube links for, not trying to say those are any worse - you just have to search yourself because they don't have centralized pages - all of these schools are ALL OVER the tube, though.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#246Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 8/12/09 at 4:00am

"so you dont have to be a size 2 to go on stgae?"

Um, no.

Are you really that familiar with theater? If you were, you would know that there are many, MANY successful and Tony Award-winning actors who are not a size 2.

"Boston University (Not MT, but strong Acting and Voice programs) - Great acting school."

Yay! Brad Oscar went there.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

iamchanging9 Profile Photo
iamchanging9
#247Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 8/12/09 at 10:42am

Temple is awesome, my friend is a pharmacy student there and when i visited him we went to see their production of Damn Yankees and excluding the girl who played Lola the production was amazing. My friend also told me that their directing students musicals were awesome(Gloryday from See What I Wanna See and Avenue Q).

From those youtube videos everyone there seems to be really talented exluding maybe two of them.

...everyone was doing the mambo and drinking golden cadillacs...

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#248Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:34am

I've noticed that UMich's talent has gone down. They still are talented kids, but I don't think they are a triple-threat-making machine. If you want that, go to CCM, I think the training there is ridiculously great, if you can get in.

CateBroadway Profile Photo
CateBroadway
#249Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 8/12/09 at 11:47am

I DEFINITELY don't think UMich's talent has gone down. I just think EVERYONE from there works so there's a lot more of them you probably haven't seen. If you take only the grads from the last 2 years, there are over 15 of them who are working on Broadway or on major Nat'l tours. And they play the leads. You're not going to get those odds from any other school.
Let's be honest, the three top schools are CCM, Carnegie Mellon and Michigan. You're not going to find any casting director who disagrees. All three fantastic schools. Those are the three most attended showcases and the three with the most grads working straight after graduation.

SporkGoddess
#250Best BFA Musical Theater Programs
Posted: 8/12/09 at 12:20pm

From the videos I've seen on YT, I've been extremely impressed by U Michigan's students. And, their alumni did A Very Potter Musical, so that raises them in my esteem as well. Best BFA Musical Theater Programs

American University is in Washington, D.C. I interviewed for a graduate program there, but it wasn't related to theatre so I have no idea how good or bad their MT program is.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!