pixeltracker

Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City

Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City

TheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
#0Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:04am

In Piazza, they are from Winston Salem, and that is where my school is......I heard the, "Something you don't see a lot, in Winston Salem!" I flipped out. Has this happened to anyone else?

trpguyy
#1re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:09am

Schenectady has come up before (Gypsy and a few others) because Proctor's Theatre was big on the Vaudeville circuit. Schenectday is a half hour from where I live, and I do a bunch of shows there.

Actually, when we did Gypsy in Schenectady, the "Schenectady" line got a bunch of laughs because the audience thought the line had been changed for a local joke, but it wasn't. Updated On: 6/16/05 at 12:09 AM

apdarcey
#2re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:30am

i'm from concord, ma... little women, 1776 maybe? i don't really know the latter.
also, i was sending a letter to winston salem, nc the day i listened to my piazza cd and i was so surprised like you said because i didn't remember that from when i saw the show!

HumorousConclusion Profile Photo
HumorousConclusion
#3re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:38am

My city hasn't been mentioned in a musical, but the county I live in (Bucks county) is mentioned several times in Bright Lights, Big City.

IdinaRocks Profile Photo
IdinaRocks
#4re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:42am

levittown is in little shop =) its something like "not somewhere REALLY nice, like levittown..." and it cracks me up, we're really a bunch of white trash

and i never saw it, but levittown (and the empire diner- favorite diner hehe) is in like half of billy joel's songs so it might be in movin out

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#5re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:44am

"Good Morning, Baltimore"

and also, the "Senators" in Damn Yankees!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

IdinaRocks Profile Photo
IdinaRocks
#6re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:45am

Ah yes, almost forgot....i don't exactly live there but its the next town over...you can take the girl out of hicksville but you can't take the hicksville out of the girl =) i like being from the same place as maureen hehe

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#7re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:45am

the full monty... but i haven't seen it

::bust a move::

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#8re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:48am

ALLENTOWN PA....

Bye Bye Birdie, 42nd Street.there is another shwo but i don't remmber it

apdarcey
#9re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:48am

randomly, when i saw rent she said "you can take the girl out of jersey, but you can't take the jersey out of the girl."

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#10re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:57am

It's obscure but I live outside of Milwaukee and I get a little pride when they sing "Daddy took a job in Milwaukee" (I believe that's the line) in "Rhythm of Life" from Sweet Charity. The OBC not the revival. Ugh.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Rentaholic2
#11re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:21am

apdarcey, when I saw Rent the tour, I think they said Jersey, but on the OBCR and I think when I saw it on Bway they say Hicksville...I don't really know why..?

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#12re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:26am

I'm sure Sydney cops a mention in THE BOY FROM OZ.

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#13re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:47am

ATLANTA is in AUTANT EN EMPORTE LE VENT (GONE WITH THE WIND). it was so funny hearing them say ATLANTA with a french accent re: Cities in Broadway Musicals  Representing Your City

RIP glebby <3

IdinaRocks Profile Photo
IdinaRocks
#14re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:54am

jersey's much more well known than hicksville, especially out of new york. i like hicksville better though =)

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#15re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:59am

well, living in Urinetown, I was very excited when I saw the musical....

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#16re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 3:14am

Rentaholic - It's becuase touring companies assume that people in their tour cities won't realize that Hicksville is in fact a city and not just an arbitrary place they mention. So they pick Jersey becuase people get the reference.

I don't think San Jose has come up in any... if anyone knows otherwise I'd be curious though.

RentBoy86
#17re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 3:20am

hicksvilles a real place?

#18re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 3:23am

Jwei-- Represent Baltimore

Good Morning Baltimore
Good Morning Baltimore (Reprise)
Miss Baltimore Crabs....basically all of friggin' Hairspray! Its an ode to this..uh.."wonderful" city.

Wax Lion Profile Photo
Wax Lion
#19re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 8:28am

Wax Lion says that, yes, Hicksville is real, and it's in NY not NJ. Another difference between the touring and Broadway casts is during Mark's eulogy at Angels memorial. On Broadway he says, "...helped them find the Circle Line", and on the tour he says, "...helped them find the Statue of Liberty". Again, rewritten for the masses.

Love,
Wax Lion

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#20re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 8:55am

ha, I've always wondered that. I'm from "upstate" New York, and a lot of times we just use the term "hicksville" to a general area, or a tiny town with more cows than people or something. I sort of assumed that's what Mark meant as well; funny that it's a real place!

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 6/16/05 at 08:55 AM

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#21re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 9:22am

Excuse me Em, you are not "upstate!" A tad more than me, but neither of us are! We're in the suburbs-big difference between us and upstate!

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#22re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 9:24am

I live in NYC now; to people here, that's upstate.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

trpguyy
#23re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 9:36am

I actually DO live Upstate re: Cities in Broadway Musicals  Representing Your City, and there's a town not too far away named Hicksville. There are probably many throughout the country.

ProducersFan
#24re: Cities in Broadway Musicals Representing Your City
Posted: 6/16/05 at 9:40am

Baltimore - Hairspray, although I actually live north of the city. re: Cities in Broadway Musicals  Representing Your City

~Jessica

"If you start from a place of joy and charm, you can get away with a lot in the second act. It may be that that's my life. I'm not sure." ~Roger Bart

Videos