pixeltracker

What made you get into Musical Theatre

What made you get into Musical Theatre

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#0What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 10:56am

I know everyone on here is a big fan of musical theatre......but what made you get into theatre?

Facebook...ME !!!

showmethetony Profile Photo
showmethetony
#1re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:04am

when I was 10 my grandmother took me to see my cousin in a high school production of Oklahoma...I'm not really a big fan of this show, but at the time I was pretty amazed because I had only ever seen Mary Martin's Peter Pan and Sound of Music on television...So, two years later when I got to junior high and my choral teacher asked if I wanted to play an orphan in Oliver I said okay...The first time I stepped on stage to sing "Food Glorious Food" I was hooked...I am 25 and still haven't found anything else that fills me with complete joy the way that performing does...

when you grow up surrounded by willful ignorance you have to believe mercy has its own country and that it's round and borderless ~Animal, Ani Difranco

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#2re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:06am

As a kid I ADORED The Sound Of Music. Then, when I was about 12, I got into Joseph. Started listening to more ALW, then diversified...

ALW got me into theatre, Sondheim nurtured the passion...

theatreman
#3re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:10am

I listened to shows like Jesus Christ Superstar and Godspell, and my parents always kept a copy of The Phantom of the Opera (the CD) around. I also saw my school's production of Pippin a few years back, and that helped me get into it. I eventually bought four albums: Jesus Christ Superstar, Godspell, Joseph..., and Pippin. This led to me to more shows, and today I have quite a few cast albums. A lot of shows I heard as a child I have heard now, and it seems like I remember them. I am now a huge fan of both types of theatre (musical and non-musical) and love it all. Theatre is truly a gift from God.

littlemeatpie
#4re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:11am

Patti in Evita. I got it for Christmas on 8 track. Shows how old I am.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#5re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:13am

Gay sex.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

cathyhyatt
#6re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:21am

I have been singing ever since I was realllyy little (there are videos of when I was like two years old hehe). I did my fist play when I was in 1st grade and I loved it but I didn't really get into musical theater until I was in 6th grade. I auditioned for my middle school production of 'Annie' and I was hoping that I would at least get into the chorus. I remember I was afraid to even audition because I was scared I wouldn't get in. I ended up getting the role of 'Duffy' and I remember I was so happy I called my mom from school when I found out. haha.

Ever since then I can't get enough of musical theater. I started doing any shows I could after that and taking any classes that were offered. I can't even begin to explain how performing makes me feel (but I'm sure many of you understand). I've done so many other activities but nothing can quite fill me like musical theater.

I'm 17 now and in the fall I'll be a senior in high school. I def. want to go to college for musical theater and hopefully persue a professional acting career. I know it's going to be harder than I can ever imagine. But I also know that it's not something I just want to do it's something I have to do. It is the only thing that I would be truly happy doing for the rest of my life. I know I'll be working odd jobs and finding it hard to financially survive. I'd rather live like that then go into a career where I took in a stable income because I know doing that I wouldn't be happy.

This is only the beginning but I'm willing to work as hard as I can to eventually get where I want to be. I've got a long road ahead of me but I'm anxious for the journey.

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

cathyhyatt
#7re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 11:39am

* BUMP *

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

littleredridinghood Profile Photo
littleredridinghood
#8re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 12:50pm

Les Miz. I've been listening to the CD since I was under a year old.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#9re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:00pm

Everyone in my family is musical - my father taught several different instruments and could play any instrument ever invented - he was a bit of a genius in that respect. Mom played violin and mandolin in an all girl band. My older brother played rock guitar in a Beatles-style cover band. I always sang around the house with the family, and I was an artist - always drawing, painting or sculpting. I fell into community theatre for children and loved it after that. Getting into it professionally was a completely different story. I did THAT because everyone pushed me into it - I was constantly told that I should be making a living with my voice - so I gave it a try. and Voila - here I am!

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#10re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:01pm

Rosie O'Donnell.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

judy_in_disguise
#11re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:07pm

When I was two my parents put me in ballet, doctor-perscribed, because I was so clumsy.
When I was three, they put me into a kids music program because I was already starting to plunk out (really simple) melodies by ear on the piano.
When I was four, they put me in a musical theatre summer camp and I was given a singing solo- voila- apparently I could sing.
The dance studio I went to also taught drama and voice, so I started in those classes as well.
I guess that's how it started.
Funny how the first step had to do with my being a klutz! Still am!

showmethetony Profile Photo
showmethetony
#12re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:10pm

"gay sex" --- best answer ever...

I'm sure we all know how strong the connection is between music theater and the gay community...I have to say that being involved in theater, especially in college, definitely pushed me to learn more about myself in terms of sexuality...the theater community was a safe space for exploration, to say the least...

when you grow up surrounded by willful ignorance you have to believe mercy has its own country and that it's round and borderless ~Animal, Ani Difranco

Millie42 Profile Photo
Millie42
#13re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:24pm

Everyone in my family sang in choirs at church and I always did the musicals there because I loved to sing....
but the Sound of Music and the glorious wonder that is Julie Andrews sucked me in to musical theatre itself. When I was little I would watch it every Sunday afternoon while my family took naps!

"My friends have made the story of my life." -Helen Keller

trpguyy
#14re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:31pm

For me, it was the opportunity to get picked on by a majority of my peers.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#15re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:31pm

I've been singing since I could talk, and always loved loved loved musicals-without thinking so much of "that's a musical". I was introduced to a lot of shows when I figure skated since we did a show that was all broadway songs (I was a shark in WSS! lol). But what made me know I wanted to do it as a profession was when I was in my senior show-Big! the musical. Iwas first cast in a small role, then three weeks before the show was thrown into Mrs.Baskins. I had maybe 5 rehearsals and I pulled it off as one of the best people on stage. What I loved was the emotion and thrill of belting out a big song and making people feel what your character feels. It's a glorious thing.

So now it will be my career! whether it be in small regional theatres or the great white way! :)

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Broadway_freak Profile Photo
Broadway_freak
#16re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:32pm

When I was about 7 my aunt took me to an audition for Winnnie the Pooh, and then it all went down hill from there. I never actually became serious about iy until around a year ago. I've learned so much through this site, I coudn't see myself doing anything else but theatre!

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#17re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:35pm

since I saw Les Miserables when I was -.4 years old.

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#18re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:51pm

The Sound of Music film - I was in and out of a Foster Home during Kindergarten and First Grade and we would march about emulating the kids. Up and down the stairs, dressing as alike as we could. Then came the television ads for the film of Funny Girl and I didn't understand how they could get a whole tug boat on the stage! Oh, it's a movie!?! Movies aren't real?!? Hmmmmm. And my hometown had a couple of Summer Theatres that were amazing and I got a Close and Play record player and some records and, well, there you have it.

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#19re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:54pm

Jesus Christ Superstar, I was in third grade (and went to Catholic school) and I thought 'King Herod's Song' was really funny.

It was also my first exposure to blasphemy, an interest I've also maintained since that time :)

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#20re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:56pm

Jennifer Holliday in Dreamgirls made me WANT to do theatre, The Light in the Piazza in Seattle reafirmed the fact that I HAVE to do theatre.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Beergoggles
#21re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 1:58pm

my mum and aunt!My mum always had musicals on in the background and then when she went back to work when i was 3 my aunty looked after me. At 4 years old i knew all the words to hans christian andersson and sound of music. Then mum bought the ALW greatest hits and played it constantly... that was that!

Jesus Loves You... Everybody else thinks you're an idiot!

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#22re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 2:00pm

In 7th grade, my music teacher exposed me to "Godspell," and the rest is history. What cemented my love for theatre was an 8th grade trip to see "CATS" at the Winter Garden.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

felineofavenueb Profile Photo
felineofavenueb
#23re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 2:07pm

When I was seven, I saw Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat for the first time (to this day still one of my favorite shows) and was obsessed. My friend and I both got the tape for it (actually, I owned both tape and CD) and would take turns singing along in obnoxious seven year old voices playing the narrator. I've been hooked ever since.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#24re: What made you get into Musical Theatre
Posted: 6/16/05 at 2:27pm

My older cousin, who was 11 years old at the time, was part of this children's theatre, a wonderful little theatre that always put on great productions. She played Annie in "Annie" and that musical really turned it around for me. I was two years old but I wasn't too young to love it! Well, I asked my mom if we could get the CD, and we did, and that CD led to other CDs, but of children shows. And as I got older there came more CDs, movies (The Sound of Music..Lordy I would watch that everyday!). And here I am now!

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."