Suzy to shutter on Sunday?

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#0Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/19/05 at 11:29pm

According to someone who saw the show tonight, Suzanne Sommers apparently announced at the "talk back" that BLOND IN THE THUNDERBIRD will close Sunday if ticket sales don't pick up.

So anyone who thinks they may be kicking themselves in five years for missing it, better thigh-master it down to the Brooks Atkinson while it lasts.

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#1re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/19/05 at 11:52pm

Oooo. I've been out of the loop on this... didn't know the attendence/reviews/advance were that bad. Do I smell the first flop of the season?

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/19/05 at 11:58pm

Well I shuttered when i saw it, so she should return the favor.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#3re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 12:01am

Do I smell the first BIG flop since Carrie?

jk

RentBoy86
#4re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 12:06am

did this show have an out of town preview? if not, it should have.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#5re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 8:14am

Suzanne Somers announced from the stage of her one woman show, The Blonde in the Thunderbird, last night that the show is being forced to close this Sunday, July 24th. She cites the savaging that the show got by the critics as the reason for the show's early departure. The show was scheduled to run through September 3rd.

zelda Profile Photo
zelda
#6re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 8:34am

maybe those of you who are so quick to criticize should get up there yourself...i think broadway has seen much worse and you people..well you are just plain mean. you ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#7re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:14am

Zelda --

yes, some comments have been crude, but some people demand more for their $11.02.

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#8re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:23am

So glad I saw this on July 8th. I really didn't think it was *that* bad, but I guess there is no audience for Suzanne Somers.

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#9re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:23am

It has nothing to do with us getting up and doing this ourselves. Some of us aren't performers. However as the audience, we are entitled to a professional show instead of some ego trip for a C level performer.

Criticism comes with the job - if Suzanne or her fans can't handle it, too bad.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#10re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:24am

Is that the going rate?

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#11re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:26am

I went last night on a free ticket.

In 25 years of going to the theatre, this takes the cake as the WORST thing I've ever seen.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#12re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:28am

Somewhere I hear Joyce DeWitt laughing. . .

WithoutATrace
#13re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:28am

you obviously didn't see Bobbi Boland

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#14re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:29am

I am going on Friday at 2pm and I absolutely can't wait.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#15re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:32am

you obviously didn't see Bobbi Boland

No. I had a free ticket for a Wednesday, and it closed the Sunday prior.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#16re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:34am

I shall miss you Ms. Sommers. Vaya con Dios!

WithoutATrace
#17re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:34am

awwww MEF, you *just* missed it. I didn't see it either, but my friend did. he said it was the worst stage disaster since Moose Murders (which he also saw).

QueenS
#18re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:53am

The scene where she re-enacts giving birth is worth at least $11 alone.

WithoutATrace
#19re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 9:58am

i paid $32 for this on TDF...oh well. still worth my time to see this flop! i wish i could have gotten comps like all of you.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#20re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 10:52am

Okay - I do feel a LITTLE bad for her. She says "Broadway broke her heart."

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#21re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 10:56am

Sorry, I don't feel sorry for her. What did she expect? She has no ties to the NY theatre community, if any theatre community other than Vegas. NY is not Vegas. You don't have gamblers/drinkers in the seats who just want to cool off for a short while before hitting the tables/bars again.

She has never been more than a TV personality. What makes her think she would be successful ala Elaine Stritch, Beatrice Arthur and others who have legitimate stage credentials and ties to the community.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

Mimi Imfurst
#22re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 10:58am

its closing? oops.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

ConductorMan
#23re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 11:18am

I really don't understand why almost every one on this thread is so mean and cruel. I have been working in the professional theatre for 35 years, and I can't understand the lack of empathy for this lady. Give her a little credit for trying to entertain us. Granted, she is not the sharpest pencil in the box, but she deserves our respect. She tried and it was not successful, so what? I know everybody is entitled to their opinion and I respect that, I just people would understand that when you open yourself up to a brand new medium, as she has, that it is very hard to fail. The Broadway stage is not for her, but do we have to be so nasty about it?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#24re: Suzy to shutter on Sunday?
Posted: 7/20/05 at 11:24am

Where are the people on this board who always say, no matter HOW bad ths show, "I hate to see people out of work."

I haven't seen this show, although I've seen some crap shows on Broadway over the years, but I feel kind of bad for her. This is completely her reputation and money and everything else at stake. This isn't Eden losing a job because her show closed, so she just moves on to the next show that is being produced and financed and mounted by others. Somers took the entire risk all on her own shoulders.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Videos