Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!

Parks
#0Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:09pm

I saw Avenue Q on the 25th-and in the "School For Monsters" scene, I couldn't help but notice Jennifer Barnhart was doing something with her mouth...Dear God, she was chewing gum...ON STAGE!

I've always been told not to chew gum on stage for one reason or another...

Who all have you seen chew gum on stage?

(I'm not really mad at her, this is semi-sarcastic).

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA
Updated On: 7/29/05 at 01:09 PM

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#1re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:21pm

Is it possible it was a character choice for that one scene? Or perhaps she is on some sort of medication that dries out her mouth (antihistamines can do that) and she needs it to keep her mouth moist.

PEACE.

poppy isabella Profile Photo
poppy isabella
#2re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:28pm

Yeah, I've worked with lots of actors who chew gum while performing to keep their mouth from drying out due to medicines, nerves, whatever. But I've never actually seen it while in the midst of a scene. I agree with the previous poster that it totally could have been a character choice for Avenue Q re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#3re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:29pm

I noticed one of the guys in the Chicago ensemble was chewing gum. I was surprised.

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#4re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:30pm

It's not so hard to have gum in your mouth and have no one know it if you truly need it.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#5re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:33pm

I was in a show once and was chewing gum. I went onstage having forgotten to take it out. I am obviously not one of those people who can conceal their chewing because as soon as I started singing, it flew into the orchestra pit, straight out of my mouth. I thought it was funny but kept singing. Just my tuppence worth.

Bwaydreams01
#6re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:45pm

the guy in Chicago always chews gum... atleast all the times i've seen it

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#7re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:48pm

Aah, that may be part of his persona. Or he just likes gum. He must be a good masticator.

Updated On: 7/29/05 at 01:48 PM

poppy isabella Profile Photo
poppy isabella
#8re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:48pm

Oh my gosh, jczelyph! Of all the things I've had fall on me in the pit, never gum! Ick and hilarity!

love meagan

jboy1 Profile Photo
jboy1
#9re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 1:56pm

I'm doing a production of ANYTHING GOES right now and my good friend who's playing Bonnie chews gum on stage. She discussed it with the director and stage manager and decided it was part of her character. So if it's agreed upon within the production team, it's appropriate for the show.

RIGHT NOW: Closing DISNEY'S WHEN YOU WISH at Marquee Productions (Apr. 23-26)

NEXT UP: Playing Albert Peterson in BYE BYE BIRDIE at The Western Stage in Salinas, CA (Aug. 15-Sept. 5)

Photo: Nick Adams - BEAUTIFUL!!!

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#10re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 2:00pm

It landed on the snare drum (the pit kinda protrudes from the stage). It was hilarious. I was singing 'Meek Shall Inherit' (the 'I don't knowwwwwww') bit and i had to keep a straight face.

#11re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 2:06pm

Chicago chewing gum....as in "You pop that gum one more time...."

kombatkoala
#12re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 2:09pm

I believe some people in Hairspray have had gum. I know I've seen pictures where you can tell that they have gum in their mouth.

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#13re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 2:26pm

What pictures (of Hairspray)?

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#14re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 2:26pm

What pictures (of Hairspray)?

SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!! Profile Photo
SeeIreallycouldn'tSING!!
#15re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 2:38pm

In CHorus line Pamila Blair (the orignal Val) always chewed gum, and then when her song came up she'd give it to whomever played MArk.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#16re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 2:42pm

Haha, dat's funny. I want to see ACL.

SuddenlyTrey Profile Photo
SuddenlyTrey
#17re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 3:49pm

off the topic slightely, but I love when Tracy in Hairspray chews gum.

"Jaime's convienced that the problems are mine. Jaime is probably doing just fine. And I'm still hurting."

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#18re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 4:54pm

I love gum when it's a good character choice. I remember in the 42nd Street revival, there was one ensemble girl who decided her character was a gum chewer, and every so often, she'd blow a large bubble, but it wasn't distracting or upstaging in the least. And the gum was ALWAYS gone for the big finale, because it can be dangerous when you're dancing like that.

I've never used gum myself, but when I was in a show this past spring, I was really sick and was constantly sucking on throat lozenges, and I actually went on-stage with one still dissolving in my mouth without realizing it. Mine didn't fly out into the orchestra pit, though, so my story's not nearly as interesting as jc's re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth
Updated On: 7/29/05 at 04:54 PM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#19re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 5:02pm

Penny Pingelton chews 2 packs a day

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#20re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 5:03pm

This thread reminds me of Babs I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE audition.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#21re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 5:08pm

This is such a funny thread. And representative of why I love love love this board. Even when I hate it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#22re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 5:12pm

I've never seen the CHICAGO boys chew gum. And I've seen the show 3 times. I do watch the ensemble have convos with eachother on the side of the stage.. re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#23re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 6:13pm

Penny has "mighty strong" muscles in her mouth because she chews a lot of gum :)

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#24re: Actors Chewing Gum...ON STAGE!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 6:41pm

Michelle Kittrell as Bebe "Bubbles" in Urban Cowboy!

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

Videos