Best Understudies

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#0Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 6:04pm

I know there's a thread on this already, but I don't see why another can't be made, as it's a discussion.

Megan Campbell- Millie
Leslie Kritzer- Tracy in Hairspray

Those are the only understudy leads I've seen, but I loved them both SO much. Proceed.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#1re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 6:06pm

Not an understudy, a standby, but Shoshana Bean was actually very good as Tracy in Hairspray (fat suit and all). I prefered her to Marissa.

What about Lainie Kazan for Funny Girl? Haha.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#2re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 6:11pm

Shoshana was in fact an understudy. She regularly played Shelly.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#3re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 6:14pm

I know Megan! :) I wish I could've seen her go on as Millie but I'm stuck in L.A. when it comes to those sorts of things. But I did see her in numerous shows here and she's great. She actually does a feirce Charity!!!

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#4re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 6:15pm

You're right, I'm sorry. But I don't think it was for Shelly. I'm pretty sure it was for Tracy and the Female Authority Figure. You may be right, though.

I've talked so much about shoshana standing by in Wicked, i think it's just become second nature. Haha.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Phantom487
#5re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 6:17pm

Gina Kreiezmar in "Forbidden Broadway"... she's awesome! I wish they'd put her in it for good!

hypertruffle
#6re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 6:49pm

John Tracey Egan in 'The Producers'. He was my Max Bialystock. IMO, he *is* Bialy, but he was the only one I've seen live.

"The cynicism you refer to, I acquired the day I discovered I was different from little boys!~All About Eve

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#7re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 9:45pm

Justin Bohon - Dean in All Shook Up

Becky Gulsvig - Amber Von Tussle in Hairspray (although I believe she's now been moved up to full-time Amber - good for her!)

Blue J
#8re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 9:48pm

Trisha Jeffrey as Lorraine in All Shook Up. I thought she did an outstanding job.

overthemoon419 Profile Photo
overthemoon419
#9re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 9:51pm

linda muggleston, in for donna murphy in WT. better than donna by about a bazillion.

"It's not for sissies, contrary to popular belief." - Tommy Tune, on musical theatre.

My avatar: Yummy, no?

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#10re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 9:56pm

I would love to see a picture of Shoshana in a fat suit...

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#11re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:12pm

emily rozek-i saw her as millie and it was amazing, and i;ve heard great things about her glinda
jonathan rayson as seymore
colin hanlon as just about anyone in rent
brad oscar as max

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#12re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:19pm

I saw Jonathan Rayson in the national tour...he was OUTSTANDING. Some prefer him to Hunter.

I've been pretty lucky when it comes to Broadway understudies, haven't had to see too many. Most people didn't like her, but I prefer Angela Ai to Ann Sanders in Q. I've seen it twice and Harada was out both times. I LOVED Ai.

#13re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:19pm

ANDREW- LINK U/S- HAIRSPRAY
BRAD ANDERSON- CHAD U/S- ALL SHOOK UP.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#14re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:21pm

I will of course show much love for Kristy Cates. re: Best Understudies

This is my signature.

brdwyman Profile Photo
brdwyman
#15re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:27pm

Laura Bell Bundy in Wicked

way_to_spend_the_day Profile Photo
way_to_spend_the_day
#16re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:28pm

I saw Megan Hilty as Glinda before she took over the role for Jennifer Laura Thompson. When the show started, I was disappointed that I wasn't going to see JLT, but I loved Megan Hilty and am sooo glad that I saw her!

***It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves. -- William Shakespeare***

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#17re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:28pm

i just recently saw Patti Cohenour play Margaret Johnson in LITP and i thought she was just superbe. truly an amazing actress and understudy. she played the part to perfection and is the perfect person to fill in for Victoria Clark.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#18re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:30pm

Jenna Leigh Green!!! my lord..my favorite person---ever.

and that girl who from the Little Shop tour who went on as all three urchins all alone..I didn't see it..but she wins the award for actually even attempting that..go her

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

broadway betty Profile Photo
broadway betty
#19re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:35pm

Phantom: Gina went on for Donna English the first time I saw FB and she was great! Her Sarah Brightman spoof was by far the best I've ever seen of any of the regulars.

Stacey Todd Holt-He was my first Carmen Ghia in The Producers. I've seen it 4 times and he was the best CG without question. They should give him the part instead of keeping him as a swing. Stacey, you rule!

"I'm the STAR!"--Daniel Reichard during Glory Daze sound check

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#20re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 10:53pm

Daniel Torres, Kevin Kern, and Carlos Encinias for Altar Boyz. Understudying 5 roles must be hell .. but these boys are just amazing. Daniel's such a sweetie ... I missed Kevin, and haven't met Carlos yet, but apparently Kevin pointed me out to someone. Makes me happy.

I love 'em.<3

FosseBoi
#21re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 11:08pm

I was lucky enough to see Sho go on as Tracy in HAIRSPRAY. She was AWSOME! I hope she does it again, the show I mean.

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#22re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/20/05 at 11:08pm

There are no pictures existing of Shoshana as Tracy in Hairspray.

Sant
#23re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/21/05 at 12:57pm

John Bolton is brilliant as King Arthur in SPAMALOT.

Adinah Alexander, Mme Morrible in WICKED, she's actually better than Rue!

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#24re: Best Understudies
Posted: 8/21/05 at 1:29pm

andrew rannells -link
john jeffrey martin-link

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

Videos