pixeltracker

Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?

Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?

QueenAnne82 Profile Photo
QueenAnne82
#0Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 12:40pm

Just wondering what everyone thought about this. Apparently there's a lot of controversy whether or not it should be nominated for Jeffs (our version of Tony's). If it's decided it can be nominated, it will go in for five categories, including an Ana nom.

Personally, I hope it gets in, because it IS a chicago production, and the actors/producers deserve a chicago honor.

Everything in this room is *eat*able. Even I'm *eat*able. But that is called cannibalism, my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies. ~Willy Wonka

It's TRUE! GET A FREE IPOD!!! It's really easy http://premiumipods.freepay.com/?r=15232098 Ask me any questions about it.

I love Ana Gasteyer and Chicago Theater!!!
Updated On: 8/22/05 at 12:40 PM

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#1re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:27pm

I thought I heard it WOULD be..but..maybe I made that up

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#2re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:45pm

when are the awards.

QueenAnne82
#3re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 1:58pm

not till june.

Everything in this room is *eat*able. Even I'm *eat*able. But that is called cannibalism, my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies. ~Willy Wonka

It's TRUE! GET A FREE IPOD!!! It's really easy http://premiumipods.freepay.com/?r=15232098 Ask me any questions about it.

Fosse76
#4re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 2:03pm

It is...but the category would be uncertain. The tour is eligible for non-resident production, but what they consider the sit-down remains to be seen. I think all the previous sit-downs: Joseph, Show Boat, Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Miss Saigon, Ragtime, and Les Miserables were all considered non-resident, because the downtown venues aren't theatre companies that produce their own shows, they are rental venues.

MojaniD
#5re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 2:04pm

If the awards are not until June, why are you so concerned with it now?

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#6re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 3:21pm

I sure hope not. The Jeffs are a great way to showcase great chicago area theare. Wicked (as a sit down show or not) is a superproduced monster, invading every city accross the US. It's a machine more than a musical. If it is nominated I just hope it doesnt overshaddow the great works going on elsewhere in the city.

Fosse76
#7re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 3:42pm

Well, as I said, it will probably be in the non-resident category since it isn't technically a Chicago theatre company, but whether or not it will be nomintated in lieu of the tour, or if it will compete with the tour, will be interesting.

#8re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 5:49pm

Wow Theatreboy way to not get the least bit melodramatic! Bravo dude! I especially like that part about it invading every city in the country and is more of a monster than a musical! You really batted a thousand with that crack, it being as factually incorrect as it is stupid.

I'm sorry you don't seem to care for popular musicals. The cold fact is, if you don't produce shows people want to see, there will be no theatre. Go down to Randolph street and see what it looks like before and after a performance of Wicked. SO many people in restaurants, in stores, in cabs-- I could not even begin to guess how many millions of dollars this show is pumping into the economy. My cab driver the other night could barely speak English, but was enthusiastic about one thing: "Wicked! Wicked so good! Business good, play good! Every body know Wicked!"

And of course, the show is providing work for plenty of Chicago actors. Apart from Gene Weygant and Rondi Reed, the ensemble is stuffed with Chicagoans, one of which was quoted recently as saying that Wicked was the best job he'd ever had: Best pay, more calls to his agent and best of all, he said it was the show his parents LOVED taking their friends to.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#9re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 5:53pm

HMM. In TO it seems to be @ the discretion of the committee. Hairspray was nominated for a Dora but so was the touring co of Cabaret ( & Norb won for best male performer)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#10re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 6:00pm

how do these awards work? how do they vote and stuff? like what would the tour & sit down prod. be up against? Are they considering like best acting and best tech, because technically both of the shows are basically the same, sets & lighting & costumes.

RockabyeHamlet
#11re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 6:04pm

Bravo Joe... You took the words right out of my mouth and made them more elegant.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

OtherDaryl Profile Photo
OtherDaryl
#12re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/22/05 at 7:03pm

According to an article in PerformInk, it will be judged alongside any musicals produced by Chicago theatres such as Goodman's Purlie. There is some question as to the elegibility of the design or other elements duplicating the Broadway production (directing, choreography, sets, lights and costumes).

"Love Life. Live." Michael Bennett

Misha2
#13re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/23/05 at 3:32pm

The Equity Jeffs are Nov. 7. Non-Equity Jeffs are in June.

Equity Jeffs cover Equity productions in Chicago August 1, 2004-July 31, 2005.

The producers of "Wicked" incorporated the production in Chicago (Wicked Chicago, Inc.), making the sit-down a Chicago production.

Equity Jeffs noms are announced in September

#14re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/23/05 at 3:35pm

That makes sense Darryl. The Purlie production was first stages in California I beleive and will be taken to New York, so it's a similar situation.

And the Jeffs, unlike the Tonys, will award as many trophys as they see fit. They can Nominate 4 people and then decide all 4 deserve the award, so no one will be screwed by "Wicked."

And Ripped, all theatres that belong to the league are eligible to be nominated in various categories-- it's a local Tonys basically. They award for design and acting as well as best production and ensemble in many categories. They announce nominees then vote then present the awards. Tours have always been eligible in their own category.

Fosse76
#15re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/23/05 at 3:57pm

Well, that may be. But "Ragtime" was also incorporated in Chicago, and was NOT a tour, but was considered as a non-resident production (it won, as did Donna Bullock for the role of 'Mother').

I know the eligibility requires a minimum of 18 performances over at least 4 weeks, which is why this award is rare these days, since Clear Channel has rarely booked shows for that long. "Wicked", "Les Mis", and "Sweet Charity" should all be eligible, since they were here for, I believe, six weeks ("Sweet Charity" I think JUST made it, it was in Chicago for four weeks I think). Updated On: 8/23/05 at 03:57 PM

Fosse76
#16re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/23/05 at 4:12pm

I verified with the Jeff Committee and "Wicked" will be eligible for a nomination. They have discontinued the non-resident category (no doubt because tours aren't here long enough to be eligible). The nominations will be made in September. I have no doubts that had they not discontinued the non-resident category that that would be the category, based on history.

QueenAnne82
#17re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/23/05 at 4:27pm

Thanks for the great investigative work guys! I'll be intersted to see how it all pans out. I hope Wicked wins (especially ana), personally- though I also want other great small local shows to get accalades too...

torn.... between.

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#18re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/23/05 at 4:35pm

Since Ana went to Northwestern University, her winning would be rather nice. I don't think most of the local theatre would react kindly if "Wicked" won for elements which are reproduced from the New York production (sets, costumes, choreography, etc.)

Fosse76
#19re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/23/05 at 4:35pm

Assuming it's nominated in those categories.

ChrisHerz Profile Photo
ChrisHerz
#20re: Chicago's Wicked eligible for Jeff's?
Posted: 8/26/05 at 10:15pm

I believe that only ONE Jeff award is awarded per category. The Non-Equity Jeff citations give as many as they see fit, to several different winners, but the Equity awards only hand out one. Unless things have changed from a few years back...

Videos