Virginia Theatre to be renamed

Plum
#0Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 12:30am

Jujamcyn Theatres is renaming the Virginia for August Wilson, a very nice tribute.
New York Times

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#1re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 12:34am

That's nice.

At least I can spell Wilson...not like Schoenfield...

Luckydave14
#2re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 12:35am

Agreed Thenardier

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#3re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 12:39am

Oh thank god. I was picturing The Doritos Theatre.

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#4re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 12:40am

A wonderful tribute to a brilliant writer.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#5re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 12:44am

midtown, this is only an interim name until Microsoft's check clears.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#6re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 1:47am

I'm still waiting for the Ethel Merman Theatre. The Imperial (Annie Get Your Gun, Call Me Madam, Gypsy), the Majestic (Happy Hunting), or the Broadway (Gypsy) would be good choices

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#7re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 2:19am

PHEW! When I first read the title, the first thing that came into my head was, "Oh dear god, not another corporate name! What is this world coming to!?"

I'm with you hushpuppy! I think it should be the Broadway, I mean, "The Broadway Theatre" how unoriginal can we be!?

Anyway, that's nice.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

Jon
#8re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 5:36am

Wonderful, yes, but where's the Arthur Miller Theatre?

RockabyeHamlet
#9re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 6:10am

I seriously at first thought this was a joke and you were gonna say it was being renamed as the Flops Theatre...

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#10re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 8:32am

Wonderful, yes, but where's the Arthur Miller Theatre?

Jon, you took the words right out of my mouth!

I am very glad that Mr. Wilson, quite possibly the greatest living playwright, is getting a theatre named after him. Next, we need a theatre for the greatest playwright of the second half of the Twentieth Century.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#11re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 11:10am

August Wilson is one of (and to some people #1) greatest American playwrights. It isn't slumming to give him a theatre and not Miller or Williams.

Jon
#12re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 11:49am

I hate to be the one to say this, but the reason Wilson is getting a theatre named after him before Miller or Williams is one of political correctness. There has never been a Broadway Theatre named after an African-American, while there are already a whole bunch named after white guys.

Plus, Williams was gay, and Arthur Miller was a cranky old bastard.

Plus, Miller got to have sex with Marilyn Monroe, so he had a better life than any of us.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#13re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 11:58am

Or maybe the fact that he is about to die.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 12:06pm

The Cy Coleman Theatre, anyone?

MargoChanning
#15re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 12:12pm

And has been close to Landesman and the Jujamcyn family since his first play, Ma Rainey. This is a tribute to a friend, one whom, unlike the Shubert "friends" Schoenfeld and Jacobs, happens to be a two time Pulitzer Prize and 6 time NY Drama Critics Circle recipient who ranks on equal footing with the very greatest dramatists this country has ever produced.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#16re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 12:24pm

Bravo to Jujamcyn for celebrating a truly great playwrite.

ianacts Profile Photo
ianacts
#17re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 12:34pm

August Wilson is one of the Greatest Playwrights in American History. No other American playwright has ever even attempted, let alone Suceeded with anything as ambitious or theatrical as his ten play cycle. To suggest anything other that that shows extreme ingnorance on your part. Let's celebrate the life and work of one of this countries greatest treasures. To August!

MargoChanning
#18re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 1:57pm

Incidentally, as per Miller's wishes (and continuing through his estate) there will be only one Arthur Miller Theatre and it is currently being built at the University of Michigan. His estate won't allow a Broadway theatre to be named for him.

Miller avoided all forms of self-aggrandizement in life and it continues on after his death (for example, he refused the Kennedy Center Honor several times).

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#19re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 2:02pm

I've always wondered why they change the names of the theaters? I mean how come the Broadway theater hasn't been changed? (its got the ugliest marquee - it looks so dated). Just wondering. It seems like, yes, this is a great honor, but in 10-20 years, if that, its just going to be renamed for someone else. It seems weird.

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#20re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 3:25pm

Boy do I feel old. I remember when the Broadway Theatre put up that 'dated' marquee. I always thought it looked faux 30's and belonged at someplace like Universal Studios

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

songplugger
#21re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 4:39pm

It's nice that Wilson gets a theater named after him. Though I admit, I do like the name "Virginia Theater" and am sorry to see it go.

Frankly, its of little importance whether whether Merman, Sondheim, Porter or Sally Rand gets a theater re-named after them. The real tragedy is that the historic Variety Arts Theater was destroyed a few months ago and NO attempt was made to save it.

sweetiedarlinmia Profile Photo
sweetiedarlinmia
#22re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 4:42pm

Very pleased by this. August Wilson is, in my opinion, one of the greatest playwrights in theatre history. This is quite a fitting honor.

perfectliar
#23re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 4:42pm

I second the motion that the Broadway Theatre be renamed, if only because I will never forget this argument a friend of mine and I had about Miss Saigon:

Her: All this ticket says is that it's playing at Broadway Theatre. Which one though?
Me: The Broadway Theatre.
Her: Well, duh, it's in a Broadway Theatre if it's on Broadway, but WHICH theatre?
Me: The Broadway Theatre.
Her: I know that, but which one?
Me: THE BROADWAY THEATRE!!!
Her: Okay, but WHICH Broadway theatre?

Plum
#24re: Virginia Theatre to be renamed
Posted: 9/2/05 at 4:47pm

I think the Virginia is a nice name, too, but the August Wilson doesn't sound bad, either. I wish we could get rid of names like "American Airlines," but such is life.

And Wilson is as deserving an American dramatist as we have. Don't ascribe this to political correctness.

Videos