pixeltracker

Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....

Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....

Born2cthelightsofbway Profile Photo
Born2cthelightsofbway
#0Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 8:57pm

just not that good? I don't really think either of them have very good voices, especially Megan Hilty. Her high notes weren't even there! And in For Good, it was like they had no idea what they were saying!!! Does anyone else feel that way?

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

Yankeefan007
#1re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:00pm

i can barely understand what many actors say when they sing....especially if its an up tempo song. i didn't hear the 4-letter words of Thurio's Samba in 2 gentlemen of verona (sorry for going off topic). having heard all the wicked casts, i say that everyone has their own interpretation of the material.

theaterlover45 Profile Photo
theaterlover45
#2re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:05pm

Until I read the lyrics I couldn't understand what Victoria Clark in "Statues in Stories" was saying from Light in the Piazza. But she is still an awsome performer.
Updated On: 9/8/05 at 09:05 PM

Born2cthelightsofbway
#3re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:07pm

I'm sorry, when I say they didn't even know what they were saying I meant that they didn't get what the song was about, the feeling.

"You alone can make my song take flight, it's over now, the Music of the Night!!!!!"

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#4re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:14pm

I personally think both are wonderful. I'm not saying your wrong, you're free to feel / think what you want.

I think they look younger, which helps in the earlier scenes.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Born2cthelightsofbway
#5re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:16pm

I agree with the younger aspect.

BroadwayBettini2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBettini2
#6re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:17pm

Shoshana sucks IMO , I hate her voice. And I don't care for Megan. Kristen will always be my favorite. I guess your not alone.

"You gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?" -Bernadette Peters SUPPORT ALL SHOOK UP!!!

theaterlover45 Profile Photo
theaterlover45
Born2cthelightsofbway
#8re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:18pm

BroadwayBettini2- I'm so glad.

theatreboi11
#9re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:20pm

I cant say anything about Meghan cause I have not seen her, but Shoshana is absolutly amazing and a WONDERFUL gift to Broadway!

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

BSoBW2
#10re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:20pm

Shoshana is high school.

Megan Hilty is the best there is in the show - she holds it together.

I only went for her.

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#11re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:21pm

And here we go again...good grief

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#12re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:25pm

Shoshana is an amazing singer, just really NOT right for Wicked.

For Megan, I really disagree. She pretty much IS Glinda, and has an amazing voice to boot.

And Ben Vereen is the best Wizard to date.

BroadwayBettini2
#13re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:26pm

"well who asked you???!"-Lucy YAGMCB, had to do it re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....

Born 2, I'm glad you agree, all I ever see is Shoshana this and shoshana that, she's amazing, best voice ever. Hello! Shes a screecher and she defenitly has these weird things which she does with her EEEEE'S annoying as hell.

But, I haven't seen her acting, I have only heard her sing the part. I heard from friends she's not a strong actress at all.

"You gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?" -Bernadette Peters SUPPORT ALL SHOOK UP!!!

Born2cthelightsofbway
#14re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:28pm

"And Ben Vereen is the best Wizard to date. "

I agree with you on that, but with Megan, I have seen her twice and she didn't even hit the high notes.

Updated On: 9/8/05 at 09:28 PM

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#15re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:28pm

To me, Shoshana sounds alright, she just has NO grasp on that role, and there is no depth to her character at all. It really has turned the show into a complete cartoon to me.

I saw Hilty the second time she ever went on, so I can't be too harsh. She wasn't particularly great, but I think she had a nice touch for the role. There was something lacking, though. Jennifer Laura Thompson and Chenoweth were far superior, in my opinion.

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#16re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 9:45pm

All the hate! Peace is the only answer!

Okay, I'll bite and give an HONEST answer.

Shoshana is astounding. Amazing talent. I never appreciated her as much as I should've. (This is excluding outside material...only pertaining to Wicked) She has some notes that got to me, but they were just completely shrouded over by her stronger notes.

Megan, I can't say anything about, but only that I've heard nothing but good things and that she does IN FACT deserve what she's doing right now. And the high notes...don't know WHICH ones you're talking about, born2c...if you're talking about the optional notes Kristin sang on the OBC, then no. She might not sing those. But it doesn't say in her contract that she has to.

This is my signature.
Updated On: 9/8/05 at 09:45 PM

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#17re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:49pm

With Shoshana, yes, she has a great voice, but I think I went in expecting more from here, and she ending up not impressing me that much. However, I think Megan is WONDERFUL. Her acting is really what did it for me. I thought her voice was wonderful, too.

Well, to each their own, I guess.

PJ
#18re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 10:58pm

I saw Megan in June, July, and just this month. She hit those optional Cheno notes all three times. Her higher register is beautiful, not as crisp as Cheno's, but then again, who's is? Megan is a very good actress. She's grown so much within the last few months that now I'd say she's on the same level as Cheno right now.

As for Shoshana: I was not crazy about her the first time I saw her. I admit. But, I was comparing her to Idina the entire time. My second trip to see her, I went in with an open mind and she completely hit it out of the park. She delivered the best "The Wizard and I" I've ever heard. I saw her on the same dates as I saw Megan, and she too has grown better each time I saw her. Her voice isn't everyone's cup of tea, but you can't win 'em all.
And she is not a screecher. Shoshana has a very R&B-esque tone to her voice and I've never heard anything remotely sound like a screech come out of that woman's mouth. True, she's no Redgrade when it comes to acting, but her vocal ability is oustanding.

And yes, I saw the entire Original Broadway Cast.

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#19re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:05pm

I was a completely obsessed Wicked head for a good 9 months of my life, but that kinda died with Chenoweth's departure, does anyone else feel the same way? Nobody else really does it for me...

Joshua488
#20re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:07pm

I thought that Megan Hilty was outstanding. She hit every note, including the optional ones, flawlessly. Her acting was wonderful and her comedic timing is sensational. I thoroughly enjoyed her performance.

I think Shoshana Bean is a phenomenal vocalist. I don't think I've ever heard her hit a sour note. She has an amazing mix that blows me away; I can never be sure of when she's belting and when she's mixing. Her acting is good; I think she plays emotions more for show than actually doing them. For instance, she will show it in her facial expressions that she is distraught rather than being distraught. She can play the role fine, but at some points, I thought her acting was a bit weak.

BroadwayBettini2
#21re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:09pm

okay maybe not screecher maybe something close to screamer, (Epecially on certain notes, and I'm not only talking about when she sings Elphaba, I'm talking as a singer in general)

conor-I feel the same way. Though I like all the Glinda's, Kristen will always be my fave. It's funny how as of right now, I have no desire to see Wicked at all.

PJ
#22re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:13pm

Okay, Shoshana doesn't "scream" either. I'm sorry, but no. You can tell by listening to her that she has a very healthy technique and she never strains to hit a note. She can go from mix to legit just like that.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#23re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:16pm

Personally, I haven't seen any wizard better than Sean McCourt, I still wish he would play that part on a permanent basis.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

greatdct
#24re: Am I the only one who thinks the current wicked leads are....
Posted: 9/8/05 at 11:17pm

Megan, in my opinion, is the best Glinda yet. I saw her on her first night as the official Glinda and she blew me away. I have since seen her four times and she just keeps getting better and better. I never was a big fan of Kristin Chenoweth as Glinda.

Videos