pixeltracker

Don't laugh..Cats tour question.

Don't laugh..Cats tour question.

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#0Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 10:33am

Hi kids. So since the Cats tour is stopping in Chicago, and since I've never actually seen it, and since they seem to be practically giving the tickets away (got a BroadwayinChicago.com email this morning for "Take 20 dollars off tickets to Cats") I'm thinking of going...

Does anyone know who the current cast is, or where I can find that info? I found the UK tour website, but nothing about this tour? (Mainly, Im interested in whos playing Grizabella...)

Thanks!

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#1re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 10:35am

Is this the tour with the inflatable sets?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

MagicToDo82
#2re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 10:38am

Please God, let it be:)

peach
#3re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 2:24pm

Not sure who's in the tour right now, but I have to admit.

My name is peach, and I like Cats.

There, I said it!

At any rate, I've seen it both on Broadway and on tour a number of times. I think it does better in a smaller theatre. I saw it on tour in a huge venue and it wasn't as good. If you are a fan of lots of dancing, you will at least enjoy that much of it. Have a good time!

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#4re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 2:30pm

Um... i think it might be a non-equity tour as i think someone people in this cast were also in the Oklahoma tour... the woman playing Grizabella is someone named Esther Stillwell... or something like that... she has Tokyo Disney credits!

kc

Jesus saves. I spend.

Jilani
#5re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 2:31pm

If this is the same tour that was in Boston earlier this year, I saw it and I'm pretty sure the sets were not inflatable, though I was tired that day and may not have noticed! I had never seen Cats live before, and I'm happy I went (I bought a same-day, half-price ticket). I don't have my Playbill here at work, so I can't tell you who played Grizabella, but I say definitely go see it if you've never seen it before.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#6re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 2:32pm

Did you know there is Tour Info on this site? It was updated in July, so I imagine the cast is pretty close. All Non-equity, if you care about that sort of thing.
BWW Tour Page

PEACE.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 2:37pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/showinfo.cfm?showid=450

do keep in mind though that this is the non-equity national tour that has cut the song "The Awful Battle of the Pekes and the Pillicles" so it is not the complete show...

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#8re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 3:21pm

The stage manager and company managers are friends of mine. A Bender and A Callahan...hope you enjoy the show!

BwayTheatre11
#9re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 3:43pm

I was just sent an updated cast list...it might be the same. I will check.

CCM '10!

ally_kay_on_broadway Profile Photo
ally_kay_on_broadway
#10re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 3:54pm

*stands up and points to name tag*

My name is Ally, and i ALSO like CATS. I saw the show and it made me wanna learn how to dance. Ok now you can all stuff that in your pipe and smoke it lol :P

It really is an interesting show. The choreography and lighting is phenomonal. The storyline...well....'what storyline?' :P

"talent is wanting something hard enough to work for it" - my drama teacher :)

CATSNYrevival
lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#12re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 4:25pm

ally kay, when I was in high school, i used to go on the back porch, wrap myself in a shawl and lip-synch "Memory." I even named a stray cat Grizabella. And yet my parents were still shocked when i came out.

MagicToDo82
#13re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 4:29pm

Hehe. One of my dear friends is the biggest musical theatre snob in the world - and he's dragging me to see Cats next week. Dragging, yes, Dragging. (I won't admit how much I really want to see this show. I refuse to admit it.)

CATSNYrevival
#14re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 4:34pm

no matter what anyone tells you just remember that their is a plot. and the sequencing of events is just as detailed as Jesus Christ Superstar or Evita it just doesn't employ dialogue to tell that story... which is of itself rather remarkable considering the ban the Eliot estate put on the property for using narrative material from other sources. it's all T.S. Eliot and it's magical.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 6:21pm

I'm going to go out on a limb (ready for the tomato-throwing from all of you) and say that I loved "Cats" when I saw the OBC.

I will qualify a lot of my praise: 1) I saw the OBC and they were very fresh. 2) The set on Broadway engulfed the entire seating area as well as the stage itself, pulling me completely into it. 3) I kept an open mind, not expecting it to be either good or bad in advance. 4) I personally love cats and kittens.

What I found was a show that felt much more like experimental theatre than commerical theatre. If you think about it, this whole idea was a huge gamble. It's ultimately a mood piece, based on beautiful imaginative poetry. The way the poems are strung together, they created a simple through-line and plot. What happened (in my opinion) is that they struck a universal chord with mass audiences. It's a show that ultimately is about redemption, getting a second chance, and rebirth. Some will hate it, and others will be deeply moved. Others will just be bored. It's not conventional story-telling or typical Broadway. I for one, hope you enjoy it. I'm not sure how effective it would be on a proscenium stage, or in a touring production. I can only relate my own experience and fondness for the show. I'm glad you're going, and I hope you enjoy it!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#16re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 6:28pm

I agree and once upon a time I got very defensive over CATS as I had been in it and I've always loved it. Let's not forget the amazing record breaking company either! That was an amazing evening of theatre and theatre history.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

StandingO
#17re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 9:31pm

INFLATABLE sets? Please someone explain.
Thanks!

BwayTheatre11
#19re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 10:31pm

One-nighters. That is your explanation.

They don't look inflatable. I think it is an awesome design choice! Sure, it is cheaper, but it is also extremely easy to put up and take down.

I love how so many board members, mostly actors, are so close-minded when it comes to design aspects...

CCM '10!

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#20re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 10:33pm

haha i think i might see the Cats tour just to see these "inflatable sets"

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

CATSNYrevival
#21re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 10:37pm

it's really nothing special. I mean, I had no clue they were inflatable when I saw it and if you'da told me they were I would have laughed at you... if you look at the pictures and stuff you really can't tell the difference... it was a good idea. especially for the short engagements.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#22re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 10:57pm

can someone post pictures?

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

CATSNYrevival
#23re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/9/05 at 11:07pm

www.troika.com

itravel94
#24re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/19/05 at 11:42am

I just saw the Cats tour on Saturday in Chicago and I have to say this was the worst musical I have ever seen. First of all, the whole show was so dated, from the spandex costumes, the dance moves, and the music, I felt like I was watching the Michael Jackson Thriller video. Talk about an 80's flashback. Not only that, there was absolutely no storyline - or if there was, I couldn't follow it.

I'm not the only one who thought it was horrible. The people next to us left at intermission and I overheard people complaining in the ladies room at the theater and on the train on the way home. Do not waste your money on this piece of garbage.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#25re: Don't laugh..Cats tour question.
Posted: 9/19/05 at 11:44am

I certainly don't think it is dated by any means!

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Videos