pixeltracker

Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto

Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#0Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 10:57pm

I'm one of the few that is very indifferent to Wicked.
Neither I have Idina Menzel's poster in my room, nor I vomit when I see green make-up.
I just think it is a well done production, nothing more.

However, after watching the show, I realized a strange placing of songs. "What is this Feeling?" goes right after "The Wizard and I"...I had listened to the OBC, and I would have thought that a scene would be placed in the middle between the songs, as , just for the brief Shiz introduction scene, there is very little background on why the witches HATE each other. Dislike? Maybe, but a whole song about their hate for each other seemed to be more appropiate a few scenes into the musical, and not after "The Wizard and I", when we know very little about the relationship between Galinda and Elphaba?

Any comments?
Was this song introduced later or replaced another?

Just seems like poor structuring to me, or at least, strange...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#2re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:02pm

i always thought this was a little taxing on whoever was playing elphaba. I know if i had to sing "the wizard and i" i'd like just a little more time to rest than the applause break and the line "dearest darlingest momsie and popsicle" before i had to be singing again

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#3re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:06pm

there should be more evidence that a little time has passed... unless it is an honest hatred they had when they initially met.

but ah well... i love the show anyway!

::bust a move::

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#4re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:08pm

"unless it is an honest hatred they had when they
initially met."

Yes, but that never shows. Especially from Elphaba's side, there is no real reason why she would HATE Galinda more than any other student who looks funny at her...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#5re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:09pm

Well,um...she is kind of..green?

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#6re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:10pm

probably just the way Galinda carries herself when she comes in and acts... its everything someone like Elphaba would loathe!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:13pm

Yes, I'm sure there are a million ways to justify this...

I just thought the numbers were oddly placed, and that "What is This Feeling?" would had been more effective after the relationship between both was a bit clearer...

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#8re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:20pm

It is oddly placed. It's just another hole in the book. There are many.

timote316
#9re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:23pm

It's a superficial dislike. Galinda dislikes Elphaba because she's green and different. Elphaba dislikes Galinda because she dislikes her.

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#10re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:29pm

That's one of the things I really don't like about the show. It's just so awkward and strange.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#11re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:30pm

"It's a superficial dislike"

Yes, that is true...that's why I thought the "loathing" was such a strong word for such a silly difference...

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#12re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:31pm

I remember being surprised by that when I saw the production last February. It was like, "Mmm, end of the number. And...wait, next number? But...scene? ...maybe? ...no? Okay..."

Actually, the biggest problem I had with the book that stuck with me is ridiculously small and stupid. But it bothers me. It was in the dance scene where Elphaba comes in and starts dancing, and Fiyero says something like, "Wow, she doesn't care what anybody thinks about her." And Glinda goes, "Of course she does. She just pretends not to." I just expected Glinda's line to end with her first sentence, because, with the right delivery, the second is COMPLETELY SUPERFLUOUS. It went from a line that I would've thought was nicely written, compact, with a good deal of emotion behind it, to one that was overexplained. It just bothered me out of my mind.

BroadwayGirl107
#13re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:31pm

I guess you can put it that way, even though if I were playing either part, I'd make it a little deeper than that. Especially for Elphaba, I wouldn't say she hates Galinda JUST because Galinda hates her...almost everyone hates Elphaba because she's green and different...and intense. There's something that rubs Elphaba the wrong way more than others. It's the actor's choice to figure out what that is though.

timote316
#14re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:32pm

Well, they are school girls. Or, they are supposed to be, anyway. School girls are over dramatic.

Meh. It's Wicked. It's not logical. Apparently, Oz isn't supposed to make sense.

zzannahk Profile Photo
zzannahk
#15re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:35pm

i think the immediate and total dislike comes from Elphie being chosen for the class that Galinda wanted, pure and simple jealously fom a girl who expected everything to be handed to her because of who she was.

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#16re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:36pm

When I saw the show a couple of weeks ago for the first time, I too was confused by the placement. Like, The Wizard and I ends and then that song starts. You would think there should've been a scene in which like, Galinda makes fun of Elphaba in front of people to show that they truly don't like each other.

JMO though.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#17re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:36pm

they DO make up their own words... like scandalacous... of course it doesn't make sense! but hey, it's all fun re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#18re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/10/05 at 11:39pm

on the note of made-up words and "what is this feeling" am i the only one who gets really irritated by "disgustigified" its just so clumsy

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

BroadwayGirl107
#19re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto

If any actor went into playing either of those roles with the vision of "school girls are over dramatic"...they shouldn't be actors.

zzanna, that's one possibilty. There are plenty of things an actor can choose to get to why the characters loathe each other, and IF they even really do. They could always be putting that on as protection from something. There's very little in the script that justifies certain things that the characters do. That's why, I say, in shows with so many holes, it makes the world of a difference when there are strong actors in the leads.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#20re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto

Plus, Glinda was going to have her own suite until she had to room with Elphie. i'd be pissed too.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#21re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:43am

The book for Wicked is so flawed it's not even funny, I love the score-not Sondheim, but it's fun and entertaining-but the book is full of ridiculous words that make no sense and that were not in the original novel and I honestly hate the fact that Winnie Holzman did not provide enough character development. The characters Gregory Maguire wrote are very three-dimensional while the ones in the musical change their attitudes too quickly, the score tries to make up for this but the book is too weak to compliment what the songs try to do. The "Wizard and I" and "What is this feeling?" structure is just one among many book mistakes.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#22re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:48am

Well at least they acknowledge the flaw...

"though I do admit it came on fast, still I do beleive that it can last"

andyf
#23re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/11/05 at 1:58am

Do yourself a favor:

http://www.broadwayabridged.com/scripts/wicked.shtml

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#24re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/11/05 at 2:06am

OK,andyf I'm about to pee my pants of how funny the script is and I've only read like up until "Something Bad." AWESOME POST!!!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

AnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
#25re: Strange Structure in Wicked Libretto
Posted: 9/11/05 at 3:08am

Also, Galinda wanted to be taught magic by Madame Morrible, but she tells her that she doesn't hold her class every semester. But when she sees Elphaba's powers she wants to teach her. Of course Galinda would be upset that she didn't get what she wanted, that's her personality. So she held a grudge.

Also the fact that she's green and different holds a part.

Videos