pixeltracker

RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore

RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#0RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 10:06am

From Playbill.com:

"RING OF FIRE, the new Johnny Cash-inspired musical currently playing the Studio Arena Theatre in Buffalo through Oct. 9, will open at Broadway's Barrymore Theatre in 2006.

The New York Post reports that the musical, directed and co-conceived by Richard Maltby, Jr., will begin performances at the Barrymore (243 West 47th Street) in mid-February.

Subtitled 'The Johnny Cash Musical Show' and co-conceived by William Meade, RING OF FIRE will move to San Francisco's Curran Theatre in January 2006 before heading to Broadway."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/95370.html

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

timote316
#1re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 10:13am

Sooner or later, producers will realize that they aren't going to duplicate Mamma Mia. I wish this show best of luck, and I'm happy Jarrod Emick is coming back to Broadway (I'd assume, anyway, I didn't actually read the article), but I don't see this lasting too long.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#2re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 10:14am

I guess you missed the reviews for this show.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#3re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 10:36am

Ain't Misbehavin' was one of the best things ever, and with Richard Maltby once again putting this one together, I wouldn't count it out so quickly.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

SorryGrateful
#4re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 10:39am

I love Johnny Cash, but I just don't like shows that aren't "original." (As original as most shows can be since everything is based on something. But I like original scores. It gives me faith that someone is working hard on something beautiful.)

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#5re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 12:32pm

Smaxie you took the words outta my mouth!

Remember, Maltby was doing this years before MAMMA MIA and has been successful a lot of the time!

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#6re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 12:56pm

With the phenomenal success of LENNON, ALL SHOOK UP and GOOD VIBRATIONS
I find it amazing that producers have taken this long to realize that there is gold in these juke-box musicals. Johnny Cash has long been a favorite of most of the people who attend Broadway musicals and this show will tap into that audience and bring them out in droves. All I can say is "WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS!!??? WHAAAAAAAA!!!"

PEACE.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#7re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 12:58pm

Apparently what they're doing is acting out Cash's story songs. Sounds interesting, but I still hate recycled scores for Broadway shows. Give me an original score!

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#8re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 1:00pm

Give me an original score!

Be careful what you wish for...IN MY LIFE starts previews on Friday!

PEACE.

#9re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 1:11pm

Here we go again. When will producers learn? And yes, I have read the reviews but... this is NY!

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#10re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 1:17pm

So yet another theater that will remain dark for the rest of 2005.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

RentBoy86
#11re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 1:40pm

what previously played the Barrymore? When i read the article i was like "wait - what? - The Barrymore?" I just don't think Johnny Cash's songs are very musical theater. They did wonders with Elvis' songs, but Johnny Cash? I just don't think he would have wanted this.

popcultureboy
#12re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 1:45pm

It's been dark since Glass Menagerie closed at the beginning of July.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

RentBoy86
#13re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 1:55pm

Oh, crazy. Its not a very big house right? Where did "on golden pond" play?

popcultureboy
#14re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 2:05pm

The Cort. And the Barrymore has 1052 seats.

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#15re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 3:39pm

My, my, my, shouldn't be so dismissive about a show that hasn't even premiered yet! I'm not a big fan of "jukebox musicals" either, but don't you think you should SEE the show before having an opinion of it?

Living in Buffalo, I know quite a few people who have seen this show and have enjoyed it immensely. I plan on seeing it next week and posting a review of it.

Buffalo may not be one of the biggest cities in the country, but we know good theatre.!

BTW Deena Jones, one of the good reviews was from Variety...which last I heard wasn't a Buffalo newspaper.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!
Updated On: 9/28/05 at 03:39 PM

Rodney Hicks Profile Photo
Rodney Hicks
#16re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 7:25pm

Updated On: 9/28/05 at 07:25 PM

Bdwyguy30 Profile Photo
Bdwyguy30
#17re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 9:20pm

It just may be really good. We have to wait and see. Friends of mine saw it in Buffalo and loved it and they knew nothing about johnny Cash they were subscribers. Who knows? It least it's Richard Maltby directing it.

Bdwy24
#18re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 10:56pm

I saw the show, and plan on seeing it again before it closes here in Buffalo. The show is a lot of fun. I saw Good Vibrations, Mamma Mia and All Shook Up. Ring Of Fire is fun. The second act is a little slower, the opening needs to be cut (and will). They open the second act with "Ive been everywhere man" 15 people all lined up playing the guitar and singing this song faster and faster, it is a lot of fun. And not to mention Beth Malone is FIERCE. And of course, Jarrod Emick. It's really interesting show, and I think will do well.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#19re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 11:25pm

It's coming to SF, and I'm familiar with some of Cash' music (though never a fan), and plan on sneaking a peek at the show. THEN I'll feel it's appropriate to give an opinion about it.

Thanks Bdwy24 for your report on the show. I'm interested in seeing what Maltby can do with the material as well as seeing Jarrod!

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

RentBoy86
#20re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 11:47pm

I just don't like the idea of people just acting out his songs with no like through line. It just seems like the idea would be boring after a while. Granted, i'm not sure that you could wrap a story around Cash's songs anyways. I guess we'll see. When does it play SF?

Bdwy24
#21re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 11:54pm

There is no forced story line which is nice. Its there to be a fun night to the theatre. Which is nice. Its REALLY neat to see the musicians act out the songs. All the musicians are actors/singers.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#22re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/28/05 at 11:59pm

Best of Broadway SF says ...."Winter 06". It's one of those six shows that's trapped in the "you must subscribe to all six shows" thing, so I can't even get the exact dates unless I subscribe to see all six shows. So..I am assuming it's either Nov/Dec/or Jan.

Don't get me started on this Best of Broadway BS!!

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#23re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 9/29/05 at 12:19am

RentBoy86, one of my friends saw the show the same day as some members of the Cash family. The family gave its wholehearted approval.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

IssaMe
#24re: RING OF FIRE to play the Barrymore
Posted: 10/5/05 at 9:34am

According to reports from Buffalo, it is no longer going to S.F.-straight to Broadway in February. Some of the news stories obviously got this wrong.
Updated On: 10/5/05 at 09:34 AM

Videos