pixeltracker

SWEENEY TODD movie "in production"

SWEENEY TODD movie "in production"

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#0SWEENEY TODD movie "in production"
Posted: 10/18/05 at 11:33pm

I was just on IMDB.com looking at Sam Mendes' page and I noticed, since "Jarhead" wrapped...his upcoming movie adaptation of SWEENEY TODD has gone from "announced" to "in production."

I AM SO EXCITED to see this project get started. It says it's aiming for 2006, but I'm thinking it would probably be pushed back a bit.

I can't wait to start hearing casting. I think Mendes will do an amazing job with this.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#1re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/18/05 at 11:36pm

How reliable is imdb.com?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

pab Profile Photo
pab
#2re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/18/05 at 11:56pm

Not very.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#3re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/18/05 at 11:57pm

Pretty reliable.

At least, in my experience.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#4re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 12:02am

Interesting...but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#5re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 12:04am

Yeah, I'd get excited but I rather wait for an announcement from playbill.com or Variety. I just want a press release about the cast, I'm so curious about that.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

The Distinctive Baritone
#6re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 12:07am

Agreed--speaking from over a decade of experience of obsessing over internet theater news, nothing is really official until it's on Playbill.com.

Chrysanthemum62001
#7re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 12:23am

They mentioned this at Wall to Wall. Sondheim seemed pretty hopeful about Sam Mendes, so we'll see. I for one would *LOVE* to see this happen.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#8re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 12:25am

I'll believe it when I see production stills from actual footage. I refuse to get my hopes up, until it is a done deal.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

Chrysanthemum62001
#9re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 12:39am

DEFINITELY off topic, but does anyone have a clue where I might could find the disco Sweeney they did? I'm assuming it was just instrumental, but I would *love* to get my hands on a copy.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

The Distinctive Baritone
#10re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 1:42am

I think I've seen it on eBay a few times.

Jovie24 Profile Photo
Jovie24
#11re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 3:03am

Yes, I also heard that Sam Mendes is going to direct the SWEENEY movie...a while back I heard a rumor that they wanted Russel Crowe as SWEENY, but that was also when I heard the wanted Madonna, THE ROCK and Jennifer Lopez to do a updated movie version of GUYS AND DOLLS! Apparently THE ROCK can sing!

Jovie

"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" -Stephen Sondheim

ray-andallthatjazz86
#12re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 3:08am

I'm pretty sure it's already settled that Mendes will direct this film but a cast has yet to be announced, can they go in production without a cast? Sorry, I'm not too much into the movie business. Russel Crowe has indeed been rumored to play Sweeney and I am crossing my fingers for this not to happen. Mrs.Bernadette Peters should play Mrs.Lovett, but I've heard rumors about Toni Collette and Imelda Staunton doing this role.

ZONEACE
#13re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 3:55am

no ray, in production means, in production. It would still be pre-production.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

CJWesselman Profile Photo
CJWesselman
#14re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 4:31am

doesn't it seem like every single musical ever is now "in production" for a movie version or is it just me?

apdarcey
#15re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 5:01am

to me ms. meryl streep should play lovett. she's is one of the greatest actresses of our time. and she can sing.

fiatlux
#16re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 5:04am

There was an interview with John Logan, in the recent Sondheim Review,on "Translating Sweeney to the screen" - he has been working with Sondheim on this. It seemes to be pretty advanced.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#17re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 9:59am

From MovieMusicals.net:

Sweeney Todd [Development]

Scamp Film & Theatre Ltd., a new production company founded by Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, and Caro Newling, will helm a big screen adaptation of this Sondheim musical. John Logan shall adapt the script, while Sam Mendes considers directing.

Also - there were rumors of Kevin Kline as Sweeney.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#18re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 11:13am

Kevin and Meryl would be my top picks for Sweeney/Lovett.

I rooting for Jamie Bell as Tobias

nkohn
#19re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 4:00pm

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/92040.html

old article from playbill re: russell crowe starring

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#20re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 4:03pm

If Russell Crowe gets this role, I may die.
No Russell Crowe, PLEASE!

Meryl Streep would be a great Lovett, though.

fiatlux
#21re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 4:06pm

Hugh Jackman was reported to really want to play the part. I quite like the idea of Kevin Spacey, now we know he can do an English accent re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production' Emma T or Imelda would be perfect.

sfboy20
#22re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 4:55pm

im not usually a rumour mongerer, yet there was word recently that actors had been offered parts.

the screenplay will be done by screenwriter (last name) Logan, who worked on The Last Samurai.

Reportedly, Russel Crowe was offered the role of Sweeney. And, at that time, Imelda Staunton, Emma THompson, and Toni Collette were in the running for Lovett.

We shall see.

My guess would be that it goes into production in summer or fall 2006 and in a X-mas release 2007. Unless Jarlead does very well at the box office, which might push up a start date.

glenwj Profile Photo
glenwj
#23re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 5:07pm

I think Toni Collette would be a perfect Mrs. Lovett.
Can Emma Thompson sing?
I hate the thought of Russell Crowe, although he would look right I think.
I saw Russell in a production or Rocky Horror and he was also in Blood Brothers, he is not a bad singer, but I just don't like him.
Hugh Jackman wouldn't be menacing enough.

Drought Down Under.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#24re: SWEENEY TODD movie 'in production'
Posted: 10/19/05 at 5:14pm

I think Thompson would be better for The Beggar, I definitely would love to see Meryl Streep in this role, she'd kill in this role, but then they'd have to find a leading man that matches her talents, not Russel Crowe!!!! Please!!!!

Videos