pixeltracker

How Shall I See You Through My Tears?

How Shall I See You Through My Tears?

timmetzner Profile Photo
timmetzner
#0How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 2:39pm

So I just watched Camp, and found it mildly entertaining. However I fell in love with the song "How Shall I See You Through My Tears?" I'm tempted to buy the soundtrack, but not only for that one song (If "And I am Telling You" had been on there too, I would have gone for it) Anyway I was wondering if anyone who does own it would reccomend geting the CD or since the song is from The Gospel at Colonus if anyone owns that recording, is that any good, should I get that instead? Thanks for your help!

MargoChanning
#1re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 2:50pm

If you like "How Shall I See You," you'll love the cast album of GOSPEL AT COLONUS. The entire score is remarkable, as are the singers (Sasha Allen is basically imitating the great Jevetta Steele on the cast album). I'd highly recommend it.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

theatreboi11
#2re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 2:51pm

Well, I, personally, just enjoy about 5 of the song on that soundtrack (mostly the ones that are sung by the actors. I would just download the few that you like instead of paying 15 bucks for a full cd.

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

peach
#3re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 2:57pm

I like this soundtrack, but I admit, I like the "theatre" songs more than the pop/rock mainstream songs included on the soundtrack. So I have a tendency to listen to the first half, and only portions of the second.

How Shall I See You...is fantastic. I think this arrangement/recording was only for CAMP, so you may not find it anywhere else (although I could be wrong. Anyone?). I think it's worth getting the CD just for this song.
Century Plant - Great song. Gets stuck in your head - you will know all the the words quickly and you will hum it in elevators, in the car, at work...plus it has a nice message.
Here's Where I Stand - Has sort of a Whitney quality to it, but very diva-esque and diggable. Belt it out while commuting.
I Sing For You - Lovely little ballad.
The Want of A Nail - Reminds me a bit too much of Fame. I sometimes skip this song.
Wild Horses - Decent rendition of the Stones' classic.
The Ladies Who Lunch - Get yer Sondehim fix here! They include the overlap from Follies on the soundtrack as well. I love this one. Anna Kendrick sounds great.
Turky Lurkey Time - Gotta love this one. It's so perky!

The remainder of the soundtrack is more mainstream music. Size of a Cow is particularly catchy.

I picked this up on sale a while ago. All in all, I'd say it was a worthwhile buy. I was very disappointed "And I'm Telling you..." wasn't on it, but overall, a pretty darn good CD.

MargoChanning
#4re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 3:36pm

The arrangement of "How Shall I See You" is an exact copy of the original one from GOSPEL AT COLONUS (except for the ending)

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#5re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 3:44pm

CAMP made me want to hang myself. I don't remember this song...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MargoChanning
#6re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 3:49pm

Munk,

It was the opening number of the film with big voiced Sasha Allen belting a gospel tune with a full choir of students.

munkustrap178
#7re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 3:50pm

When the queen is being beat by those boys?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#8re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 3:52pm

Sasha Allen...why do I know that name? Sounds so familiar...Has she done anything else of note?

peach
#9re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 3:56pm

"The arrangement of "How Shall I See You" is an exact copy of the original one from GOSPEL AT COLONUS (except for the ending"

In that case, listen to Margo and get the Gospel at Colonus album (I imagine it is probably better than CAMP!).

Although I do indeed enjoy listening to the CAMP soundtrack. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure (as is the film).

munkustrap178
#10re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 3:59pm

Wasn't she in BARE or BROOKLYN or something?

minimel8817 Profile Photo
minimel8817
#11re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 4:16pm

I agree with buying "Camp" i have both the dvd and the soundtrack, def worth it!

munkustrap178
#12re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 4:21pm

AHHH! How do people watch this movie! It's APALLING!

peach
#13re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 5:01pm

Munk - I find CAMP sort of a guilty pleasure. It's a pretty bad movie, but for some reason, I like it on a rainy no-brainer day. Kind of on the same plane as Center Stage for me (not a good movie - but fab dancing!). And Showgirls...well that's a movie in it's own category. I love to hate it and hate to love it at the same time.

Plus the music in CAMP is catchy!

temms Profile Photo
temms
#14re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 5:05pm

Get the "Colonus" album - one of my absolute favorites and most of the rest of the score lives up to "How Shall I See You". As Margo pointed out, the arrangement in "Camp" is exactly the same as the one in the show, except on "Colonus" it's done by a full gospel choir, Clarence Fountain, and includes an AMAZING speech in the middle delivered by Morgan Freeman as the chorus builds and builds:

"They will never hold me! Gods, may their fires of ambition never be quenched! Let the last word be mine on this battle! Let them who would be the kings of Thebes before the sons of Oedipus.. LET THEM KILL EACH OTHER!"

And then the full chorus enters... "How shall I see you through my tears?" with Jevetta Steele riffing on top.

Amazing score, all around. I can't hear the first two chords of "Live Where You Can" without getting a chill.

ReederWI Profile Photo
ReederWI
#15re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 11/8/05 at 6:07pm

"Here's Where I Stand", "Want of a Nail" and "The Ladies Who Lunch" are the only songs I listen to. The others are all too sappy and sugar-coated.

darkmist115 Profile Photo
darkmist115
#16re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 1:16pm

I'll definitely have to try the 'colonus' album. It sounds pretty cool, and I love the song.

I basically agree with peach, that the film is great, but a guilty pleasure. sure, it's corny, it's campy, but it's fun, and quite musical theatre.

I, as well, have both the DVD (bought cheap at blockbusterre: How Shall I See You Through My Tears? ) and the soundtrack. I only listen to the stuff the actors sang, though, not the mainstream crap.

as for melissa errico fan, Sasha Allen played Tanya in the NY run of Bare.

galindaba Profile Photo
galindaba
#17re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 1:20pm

One of the kids from that movie works at Bubba Gump Shrimp in Times Square. Or did last time I went there. Love that kid!

darkmist115
#18re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 1:22pm

haha, who is it?

I know Robin deJesus is Steve in Rent now, and second understudy for Angel.

I am going to try lotto on Saturday for Rent, I think. it'd kick ass if he were on as Angel.

galindaba Profile Photo
galindaba
#19re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 1:28pm

Oh ****! Yay he got another acting job! It was Robin who used to work there. Glad to see he slummed it with the rest of us before hitting the big time again. I'm sure he's awesome going on as angel.

darkmist115
#20re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 1:31pm

haha!
his first performance as steve was just 12/01, but I have heard some things (I honestly don't remember why) saying he is likely to go on soon!!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#21re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 1:51pm

I like the soundtrack. I say go ahead and buy it.

Just give the world Love.

silent
#22re: How Shall I See You Through My Tears?
Posted: 12/8/05 at 2:19pm

Your best bet is to try and purchase it online, either from amazon.com or half.com. Those sites usually sell used copies for a cheap price.

Videos