Gimme, Gimme

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#0Gimme, Gimme
Posted: 11/9/05 at 8:12pm

Im listening to this song right now and I never really how amazing it was. Especially when Sutton belts it out. From an otherwise lackluster score, this song is really incredible.

Opinions?
Updated On: 11/9/05 at 08:12 PM

My Fair Lady Profile Photo
My Fair Lady
#1re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/9/05 at 8:14pm

This totally takes me back to my voice lesson today. Quote from my teacher-"Thoroughly Modern Millie isn't real music. *points to Jekyll and Hyde* This is real music."

But I personally love the score, especailly Gimme Gimme (no i's).

suddenlyseymour Profile Photo
suddenlyseymour
#2re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/9/05 at 8:15pm

One of my fav songs ever! Sutton gives me chills every time I listen to it. I love it when she sings "Here I am St Valentine my bags are packed I'm first in line..."

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#3re: GIMMIE GIMMIE

I love that song but it's the only song in the entire show that I can't sing. I just..can't. MFL that reminds me of my teacher to an extent, but she actually enjoys Millie.

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

PJ
#4re: GIMMIE GIMMIE

"Gimme Gimme" made me fall in love with Sutton Foster. She performs it so well that you can skip over the fact that the lyrics are really tacky.

rose&lark
#5re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/9/05 at 8:25pm

That reminds me, I was going to sing that song at an event...that is this week...oh well :/

But back on topic, this song is amazing. Such a powerful moment onstage, as well. (This is such a cute show)

Q: What is the most weirdest or funniest thing a fan has asked you? Joe Flanigan, Stargate Atlantis: When a fan asked me for help with his grammar. I'm available.

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#6re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/9/05 at 8:28pm

i love the whole score, but most notably this song. it's really what made me come to LOVE her voice.

iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
#7re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/9/05 at 8:35pm

I LOVE that song! .."gimme, gimme, that thing called love!.."

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

JulianHookbucks Profile Photo
JulianHookbucks
#8re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/9/05 at 8:37pm

...that's kinda harsh to say it isn't real music... I mean, it's not the best ever, but I thought it was pretty good, and Gimme is one of my Favorite songs.

that's a really big mic...

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#9re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/9/05 at 8:44pm

The lyrics are anything but corny if you ask me. I think theyre beautiful and clever and really great.

A simple choice, nothing more
This or that, either or
Marry well, social whirl, business man, clever girl
Or pin my future on a green glass love
What kind of life am I dreaming of?

I say gimme, gimme ... gimme, gimme
Gimme, gimme that thing called love
I want it
I need it
Highs and lows, tears and laughter
Gimme happy ever after

I crave it
I'll brave it
Thick 'n thin, rich or poor time
Gimme years and I'll want more time

I'm free now
I see now
Fly, dove! Sing, sparrow!
Gimme Cupid's famous arrow

I don't care if he's a nobody
In my heart he'll be a somebody
Somebody to love me!

I need it
I want it
Here I am, St. Valentine
My bags are packed, I'm first in line
Aphrodite, don't forget me
Romeo and Juliet me
Fly, dove! Sing, sparrow!
Gimme fat boy's famous arrow
Gimme, gimme that thing called love!!!

suddenlyseymour Profile Photo
suddenlyseymour
#10re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/9/05 at 9:00pm

wickedrocks- I couldn't agree more =)

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#11re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/9/05 at 9:49pm

this is a great song.

i love how it builds to a huge finish. it's great.

AspectsofLoveLover
#12re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/9/05 at 9:51pm

good song. hated the show when I saw it in London but two men were also groping each other next to me so lets just say I was a bit grossed out..I mean come on we are at a show here!

"It's telling me to hold you tight and dance like it's the last night of the world."-Miss Saigon

Lucifer
#13re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/9/05 at 9:59pm

I had to perform an incredibly cheesy dance in my 9th grade variety show to that song so me that song is somewhat tainted.... bad memories
but sutton sings it well

~ "No, I don't want to hurt you... I only want to KILL!!!!" -Bat Boy

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#14re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/10/05 at 11:22pm

I heard this song for the first time while I was watching Thoroughly Modern Millie, and I kept thinking, "Please, god, don't let them do the really obvious, really trite rhyme of 'gimme' and 'Jimmy.'" I was expecting it so much that it sort of ruined my enjoyment of the song. They refrained, though, so I was able to breathe a sigh of relief at the end of it.

It's a pretty good song. I enjoy the "Aphrodite, don't forget me / Romeo and Juliet-me!" lyric. The introductory songs and this one are really the only memorable ones from this show, though.

MackieManiac
#15re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/11/05 at 8:53am

If your voice teacher is telling you JEKYLL & HYDE is real music... get a refund and find a new teacher!

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#16re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/11/05 at 9:17am

Wasn't this song written especially for Sutton after she took over the role from Erin Dilly? Or am I making that up?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

NYC_or_Bust Profile Photo
NYC_or_Bust
#17re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/11/05 at 9:30am

You're right Tesori wrote it FOR Sutton, using Sutton's range, etc as the skeleton.

I adore the black band holding on the Phantom's mask. ~ Jenna2

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#18re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/11/05 at 9:48am

Well Tesori hit the nail on the head, and Sutton couldn't have performed it any better. Given the way the song is staged (in one spot, front and center, no movement), it takes a STRONG performer to sell the song. You don't have dance or movement to sell it, just your voice and acting. And she blows that number OUT!!! I was 5th row center orchestra when I saw her perform, and I kept tell myself that she was giving too much too soon. I didn't think she would have anywhere to go. And just kept building it until the cutoff of the last note. It was truly amazing. I also heard her perform the number out of context with just a small ensemble (piano, bass, drums) and she did the same thing. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

". . . POP . . ."

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#19re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/11/05 at 9:54am

I agree. I DESPISED this show - every second of it - but I would almost say that this song and Sutton's performance of it made the evening worthwhile.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

iheartcheyenne123 Profile Photo
iheartcheyenne123
#20re: GIMMIE GIMMIE
Posted: 11/11/05 at 11:16am

i'm listening to this song right now, and i have no voice (im sick)and..and i'm trying to sing to it...it's really pathetic..lol

--Alex-- "They're singing, "Happy Birthday" You just wanna lay down and cry Not just another birthday, it's 30/90 Why can't you stay 29 Hell, you still feel like you're 22 Turn 30 in 1990 Bang! You're dead, what can you do?" --TTB

Videos