pixeltracker

Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it a second chance and loved it.

Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it a second chance and loved it.

Wicked_fan
#0Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it a second chance and loved it.
Posted: 11/14/05 at 12:28pm

I've done that with a bunch of musicals...

25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
The Last 5 Years

and ALOT of Sondheim musicals

anyone else?

"Better a witty fool than a foolish wit"

-Feste from "Twelfth Night"

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#1re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it a second chance and loved it.
Posted: 11/14/05 at 1:13pm

Pacific Overtures
Passion
Pippin

Or maybe it's just shows that start with a "P," which is odd considering I'm such a big fan of the penis.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#3re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it a second chance and loved it.
Posted: 11/14/05 at 1:23pm

Spelling Bee wasn't hated, but I really had to grow into it. It didn't have the mature content like Finn's other work, so I really had to get into the mindset that he was writing for younger characters. But now, after listening to it for months and seeing the OBC, I adore it for what it is.

Along the same vein, Elegies took a while to grow into. True it's a song cycle, but having the common theme of death made it a task to get through. Again, now, I love it.

Other "didn't like now do"s (and those 'dos' usually mean 'love):
Pacific Overtures
Parade
Wicked (hated it at first, now it's ok...not a show I love)
Myths and Hymns

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 11/14/05 at 01:23 PM

Behind_the_Spotlight
#4re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 1:51pm

Honestly? Rent. Daphne annoyed the crap out of me, I couldn't figure out whether I liked Anthony's voice or not, and the music was not anything like I would normally have picked to listen to. A few listens changed my mind completely. I adore it now. :)

Hairspray
Last 5 Years
Wicked
Phantom

.... actually, I don't know that there have been ANY musicals I've liked the first time around. Maybe DRS. I just have to get used to the feel of the thing. From there on, I'm easy to please. :)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#5re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 1:56pm

Little Women. I absolutely *hated* it when I saw it on January 29th. After I bought the cast recording, listened to it a bunch of times, i fell in love with it. Then I saw the closing performance of the show and thought it was excellent. My friends who went with me on January 29th were shocked that I enjoyed myself the second time around.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#6re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 2:47pm

Sweeney Todd. I know, I know. *ducks tomatoes* :) But I just couldn't follow it the first time. I listened a few more times and then was able to really get into it and now it is one of my favorite shows and I think it is genius!

Phantom. I didn't hate it, but it didn't leave any impression on me at first. Heard it a bunch more and absolutely adore it now.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

w_tanoto Profile Photo
w_tanoto
#7re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 2:54pm

phantom of the opera

Be a BE*liever! Feel the Electricity --- Supercalifragilistic-Expialidocious --- Walt Disney Forever

SorryGrateful
#8re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 2:58pm

Company

Now it's one of my favorites.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky

ally_kay_on_broadway Profile Photo
ally_kay_on_broadway
#9re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 3:04pm

rent. *hides*

didn't like it AT ALL. Now the OBCR has a nice home in my cd player (although there are still a few songs i don't like)

"talent is wanting something hard enough to work for it" - my drama teacher :)

BJC899
#10re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 3:39pm

AIDA
Into the Woods

I am now obsessed with both shows and know every word re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it

CrAzIaBoUtReNt
#11re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 3:43pm

Phatnom of the Opera, AIDA, and Chicago.

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#12re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 3:48pm

Totally Company for me as well. It's one of those shows you need to see as well as listen to. If you listen to it and don't realize it's non-linear you're pretty much screwed.

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

drswickedl5y998
#13re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 4:01pm

Aida, i hated it, which i was surprised about cause i worship the ground sherrie rene scott walks on...but now i love it. Wicked fan im glad you love "The Last Five Years" now...i don't know how i ever lived without it.

Behind_the_Spotlight
#14re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 4:29pm

Ally_kay, I didn't like it either. The story was good, but I really didn't like the music. At ALL. And now it's my favorite musical. It just grew on me. It definitely takes more than one listen.

singingsweetee82
#15re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 5:00pm

Rent. The first time i listened to it I didn't like it and stopped listening to it. Then I dug it up again a few months later and fell in love with it.

BroadwayNick Profile Photo
BroadwayNick
#16re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 5:19pm

Sweeney

I was so freaked out the first time I saw the video with Hearn and Landsbury. Now, I love it!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. --Dave Berry

Yankeefan007
WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#18re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 5:26pm

Little Women.

I didnt really like the show when I saw it but the music and clips Ive watched over and over have really made me more fond of it. I dont love it now but Im much more respectful of it and what its trying to convey through the music and story.

today4u:proofpositiv
#19re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 6:03pm

Westside story
Man of la mancha
Les Miserables
Evita
The Producers
.... just to name a few.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#20re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 6:05pm

I would have to say INTO THE WOODS. Last year I checked out the OBCR from my library and I just couldn't get into it. I never really finished beyond the "Prolog". Fastforward one year when I watched the filmed version and I became completely enthralled. In fact, I watched it over and over and over and over all weekend long. Later, I listened to the cast recording and and enjoyed it all the more. I also listened to the 2002 revival but it was inferior to the original, in my opinion.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Plum
#21re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 6:17pm

Company, which was actually my first Sondheim. I never had that problem again. :)

colleen_lee
#22re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 6:19pm

Pippin.

But, the first time I performed in it I was way too young to truly understand what was going on in the story.

It is one of my favorites now.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#23re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 6:19pm

wicked........

I hated it the first time i listened to it.

But now, look at my screen name!

lol

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#24re: Musicals that you hated the first time you listened to it, but gave it
Posted: 11/14/05 at 6:21pm

bare
Rent
Altar Boyz
The Boy From Oz
The Light in the Piazza
Les Miserables
Into the Woods

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.