pixeltracker

Sad Love Stories From a Musical?

Sad Love Stories From a Musical?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#0Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/5/05 at 10:24pm

What do you find to be some sad and heartbreaking stories from a musical? Which ones really get you emotionally?

Tuptim and Lun Tha in THE KING AND I. So sad, and heartbreaking.

Mrs Lovett and Sweeney Todd. It wasn't a mutual thing. But I really feel for Lovett. She really DOES love him, and she got nothing back. And I'm a real sucker for when she expresses her love for Sweeney in the "Final Sequence" and then he eventually *SPOILER dont read if you havne't seen the show* kills her *spoiler over.*

Charity and Oscar in SWEET CHARITY. Charity FINALLY finds true love. But in the end Oscar has mixed feelings, and Charity is heartbroken once again.

Roxie and Amos Hart in CHICAGO. Another love story that really isn't mutual. Amos loves Roxie, I really believe he does. But Roxie just uses Amos. And he is feeling so lonely and heartbroken (Mr. Cellophane) and in the end he still thinks he has a chance with Roxie. Very sad.

Tony and Maria in WSS. Need I say anymore? We all know how that one goes! This is a tragic love story opposed to the others I've been listing.

Momma Rose and Herbie in GYPSY. She does love Herbie, and he does love her. But in the end Herbie just can't put up with that lifestyle. And Rose is crushed (Small World Reprise.)

There is so many more, I shall add more later.
Updated On: 12/5/05 at 10:24 PM

BSoBW2
#1re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/5/05 at 10:28pm

Dracula and Mina re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?

Eponine and Marius - of course...

WholeLottaShakin Profile Photo
WholeLottaShakin
#2re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/5/05 at 10:28pm

Kim and Chris in MISS SAIGON. "The Fall of Saigon" is the hardest number for me to listen to.

adamized88 Profile Photo
adamized88
#3re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/5/05 at 10:29pm

well in addition

aida and radames or even more so amneris and the relationship she thinks she has with radames - "i know the truth" kills me every time

"Nothing is an accident, We are free to have it all, We are what we want to be, It's in ourselves to rise or fall!!" - "Fortune Favors the Brave" from Aida - the love that never died

Now Ulla Dance
#4re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/5/05 at 10:46pm

PLEASE NO ONE SAY THE "R" WORD!!! PLEASE!!!

rosesinmay Profile Photo
rosesinmay
#5re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/5/05 at 10:58pm

Definately Eponine and Marius. I always identified with Eponine.

Kathie and the Prince in The Student Prince (actually an operetta, not a musical).

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#6re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 12:20am

The "R" word you're looking for is Rent? Because that is what I was going to say...re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

gavrochegirl
#7re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 12:22am

Definitely Eponine and Marius.

What the puck?!

lady godiva Profile Photo
lady godiva
#8re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 12:30am

the amneris/radames/aida triangle in aida. the last scene is heartbreaking.

jamie / cathy in the last five years.

my life is brilliant. my love is pure.

DirtyRottenGirl Profile Photo
DirtyRottenGirl
#9re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 1:20am

Definetly Aida. The first time I saw it I didn't know anything about it and I cried so hard and was freaking out. Big shocker!

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#10re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 1:34am

Sarah and Coalhouse from Ragtime is really tragic.

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#11re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 2:27am

Hmm Goodbye till Tomorrow/I could never rescue You from Last Five Years. In fact, anything from Last Five years.

#12re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 3:46pm

Leo and Lucille from PARADE sang one of the most moving duets that I've ever heard. "All The Wasted Time" always brings a lump to my throat. To have finally recognized the love they shared and then to have it taken away by such an unexpected and unjustified act of violence - it is heartbreaking.

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#13re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 4:01pm

FANNY and MARIUS in FANNY

shiksa_goddess Profile Photo
shiksa_goddess
#14re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 4:07pm

Peter and Jason from Bare. Tragic, tragic, tragic! Just hearing the song "Bare" is enough to break me down. Actually I am crying for pretty much all of Act 2.

It's not really a "love story," but Olive's relationship with her family in "Spelling Bee." The "I Love You Song," gives me chills!

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#15re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 4:10pm

Ti Moune and Daniel's relationship in
Once on this Island has a very sad ending.

Also, the ending of Phantom of the Opera
is also very heartbreaking, right after
Christine leaves and the Phantom is left
alone.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#16re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 4:21pm

The Baker and his wife in Into the Woods. They finally see eye to eye, and she is crushed. Fosca and Georgio in Passion, same concept. Finally they find love, and it is over. Fosca's finale letter is so tragically beautiful "Your love will live in me"

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#17re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 4:34pm

Fredrick Barrett and Darlene (although she is never seen) and Ida and Isador Strauss from Titanic.....and while we're at it throw in Alice and Edgar Beane in there as well.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#18re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 4:38pm

Archibald and Lily Craven from The Secret Garden is a truly heartbreaking love story. The "Where in the World/How Could I Ever Know" duet is one of the most dramatic and emotional pieces in contemporary musical theatre.

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

JHartnow Profile Photo
JHartnow
#19re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 4:59pm

I agree with you Enjolras. WHERE IN THE WORLD/HOW COULD I EVER KNOW are truly some of the most beautifully heartbreaking moments I have ever seen on stage. A beautiful character development moment for Archibald, too. Brilliant, just brilliant.

#20re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 5:15pm

Florence and Anatoly- CHESS

sidwich
#21re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 5:21pm

I would say two of Oscar Hammerstein's, Julie and Billy for "Carousel" and Magnolia and Ravenal from "Show Boat." Although we only have a very limited perspective on it, I'd also say Julie's story with her husband in "Show Boat" is a kind of a very sad love story as well. Julie's segue into "Bill" and then the song chokes me up every time.

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#22re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 5:31pm

Going with the R&H theme...we could add Liat and Lt. Cable from South Pacific

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#23re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 5:42pm

Also Liesl and Rolf in THE SOUND OF MUSIC. Pretty much all of the secondary lover stories in R&H musicals are ill-fated, save for Will and Ado Annie.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#24re: Sad Love Stories From a Musical?
Posted: 12/6/05 at 5:43pm

..and in Carousel where it is the main couple that is ill-fated instead of the secondary couple of Carrie and Enoch

Videos