pixeltracker

Australian "Spelling Bee" and other news.

Australian "Spelling Bee" and other news.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#0Australian "Spelling Bee" and other news.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:45pm

Saw the final preview of "Spelling Bee" in Melbourne Australia last night.

MTC have a first class hit on there hands, the whole cast was flawless, Magda Szubanski as William Barfee was a knockout, she played the role so perfect at no stage would you have thought it was a female playing a male role.

In other quick news "Wicked" looks set to open in Melbourne around March 2007.

Caroline O Connor looks set to be heading back to broadway with "End of the rainbow"

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert ( Musical ) is in workshop as we speak. World Prem is set later this year in Melbourne, with plans to be on Broadway end of 2007/2008.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#1re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:50pm

Wait..so Barfee is played by a female dressed as a male? Are they doing it as a joke or is the audience supposed to believe that it's a male?

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#2re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:55pm

The casting of Magda may seem ridiculous. However, by all accounts, she is perfect in the role.

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt
Updated On: 1/17/06 at 06:55 PM

rosscoe(au)
#3re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 6:58pm

Magda is flawless in the role, i don't think anyone else could have played it, her "Magic Foot" number brought the house down.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Fosse76
#4re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 7:03pm

"Magda is flawless in the role, i don't think anyone else could have played it, her "Magic Foot" number brought the house down. "

Well, I'm sure Dan Fogler and his Tony Award might argue with you on that! :o)

rosscoe(au)
#5re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 7:09pm

Well, I'm sure Dan Fogler and his Tony Award might argue with you on that! :o)

Um Dan is not in Australia doing the role and since i have not seen the show on Broadway. Magda is flawess.

rosscoe(au)
#6re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 10:40pm

No one wants to talk about this?

apdarcey
#7re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 10:45pm

i'd like to talk about it if you add more details about the rest of the production.

also, just out of curiosity, how is this opening internationally already?

gettinhep Profile Photo
gettinhep
#8re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 11:16pm

I'm seeing it Saturday week. I can be more effusive after that.

'Try not to have a good time...this is supposed to be educational.' - Lucy Van Pelt

lfae Profile Photo
lfae
#9re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 11:27pm

In other quick news "Wicked" looks set to open in Melbourne around March 2007.

Please say you actually have a reasonably reliable source for this? The best I've heard was Sep 2007...March is better...I'm hanging my life on your words here re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.

Seeing Spelling Bee next Wed, possibly this Friday as well. Can't WAIT.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#10re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/17/06 at 11:31pm

I'd definitely love to hear more info about the Spelling Bee production!

wickedfreak Profile Photo
wickedfreak
#11re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 1:11am

I HAH NO IDEA SEELING BEE WAS ALREADY INTERNATIONAL!!!! HOW COME THEY DO NOT PUBLISIZE THIS ON THIER WEBSITE?!?!?!!?!?!

lfae Profile Photo
lfae
#12re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:04am

liotte, a friend of mine was also there last night and posted her own review here - http://wayakka.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=reviews&action=display&thread=1137533745 . I'm sure she won't mind me pimping it out.
Updated On: 1/18/06 at 02:04 AM

starryeyes2 Profile Photo
starryeyes2
#13re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 3:42am

OMG!!! I can't wait to see this show. more details. Was david campbell great? marina prior? bert la bonte? you can't just start and not give more info! :)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#14re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 3:49am

re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.

Best. Picture. Ever.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

algy Profile Photo
algy
#15re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 6:12am

I wish I could see this (rages at all the good productions being on the other sides of the world). Magda is just brilliant in Kath and Kim and I'd love to see her do this.

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#16re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 6:29am

WICKED was mentioned as opening Autumn 2007 (Southern Hemisphere) that is around April. PRISCILLA workshop has yet to commence.

Anyone who goes near that post 'wayakka' don't be confused by postings/shows spoken about on that site. Most are for amateur (community) shows. Updated On: 1/18/06 at 06:29 AM

starryeyes2
#17re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 6:39am

ahh!! that's it i am definately going. if david is in it i am there! Love him. that picture is gold lizzie! nice find! not too sure about priscilla though...

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#18re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 6:44am

Is it just me or does Natalie look like Mandy Moore?

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

starryeyes2
#19re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 6:56am

she definately looks like mandy moore!!! and marina prior is playing miss peretti so i'm not quite sure about her in the middle of that picture looking like one of the kids???

rosscoe(au)
#20re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 7:18am

WICKED was mentioned as opening Autumn 2007 (Southern Hemisphere) that is around April. PRISCILLA workshop has yet to commence

Story i got last night from talking with people from
"Spelling Bee" and "Dusty" was Wicked set for March 2007 at Her Majesty's Theatre.

As for "Priscilla the first read through was today Wednesday 18 th Jan.

Ice Madrox
#21re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 7:40am

The Barfee character in that picture totally reminds me of the "It's Pat!" skits... lol

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#22re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:05am

Man, I wish I could go to Australia to check it out!

lfae Profile Photo
lfae
#23re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:32pm

Actually alterego, Wayakka is for professional shows as well. It caters to both and is the only place for Aussie theatre news of either description :)

Wicked set for March 2007 at Her Majesty's Theatre

Wicked? At the Maj? As in my home away from home that I know inside out and back to front? I need to sit down.
Updated On: 1/18/06 at 04:32 PM

Creative Lunatic
#24re: Australian 'Spelling Bee' and other news.
Posted: 1/18/06 at 5:29pm

A few thoughts about the Australian Spelling Bee
Unlike Chicago and SF both of which I believe the brilliant James Lapine- (who deserved a Tony)--- is directing, this has a different person at the helm. I hope it has a great run. I did read, however, that the guest spellers were brought back stage before show. During their time on stage they were making animal sounds and talking in baby talk.--I don't know about you--but I find that disturbing. Hopefully--that has been nixed--and they have been educated in the --Can I have the definition? Would you please use that in a sentence doctrination which is such a successful formula on Broadway
about Magda as Barfee---Dan Fogler gave life to William Barfee. He came up with the muscuous membrane disorder, the magic foot , the mispronounciation of his name, the allergies and all that makes that uber-nerd so unforgettable. Everyone else can do a good imitation or their own interpretation but he is in another category....

Videos