pixeltracker

The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World

The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#0The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:24pm

I'm surfing Itunes music store, and I have enough money to get one of those cast recordings. Which one?

"Electricity sparks inside of me... and I'm free, I'm free."

John Murdock Profile Photo
John Murdock
#1re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:30pm

L5Y

Upcoming Shows: Gypsy, Dead Mans Cell Phone, Xanadu, Sunday in the Park with George

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#2re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:31pm

Thanks.

FoscasBohemianDream
#3re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:33pm

It depends on what you like and what performers you prefer. My very personal recommendation is get The Last Five Years, the story is so emotional and touching, Sherie Renne Scott and Norbert Butz are very well-suited for the style of the score, I just got this album a couple of days ago and it's a very nice addition to my collection. Be aware that this is a two-actor musical so there won't be any ensemble pieces or big "One Day More"-like numbers, it's more a personal musical. Songs for a New World is a good album but I find The Last Five Years so touching and personal that I highly recommend it over Songs.

HoshiForever Profile Photo
HoshiForever
#4re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:35pm

I'd say L5Y. I've actually preformed a lot of the Songs for a New World songs before and find the soundtrack...lacking. The cast isn't that great. As Foscas said, L5Y is a two man show, but Norbert and Sherie do it amazing and it has some of Jason Robert Brown's best work (in my opinion of course, the other amazing songs being in Parade).

re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World Happy Shopping!

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#5re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:37pm

You honnestly can't go wrong with either one.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

forgetregret
#6re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:39pm

They're both good, but L5Y is better. The songs are great and the story is great. It kind of bothers me that SFANW doesn't have a story, but some of the songs are definitely worth a listen.

L5Y is my vote, though.

sadiem100 Profile Photo
sadiem100
#7re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:41pm

Well L5Y seems to have won... thanks for all your help! Now I have to go finish homework in time for Desperate Housewives.
Night. re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World

stage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
#8re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 12:49am

no...SONGS!

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."

Attendthetale331
#9re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 12:50am

Songs for a New World...Both are great but SFANW I enjoy just a little bit more.

"Listen to the song that I sing and trust me..."

Sporti2005
#10re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 1:20am

definitely TL5Y. no question.

it'll get you hooked on jason robert brown's music instantly, then you'll go back out and buy SFANW.

it's just gorgeous. definitely in my top 5 favorite cast recordings.

"grace, you're stuffed in a box getting rid of ass plaque. let's face it, this evening is a bust."

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#11re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 1:32am

Get Parade--it's better than either of them re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#12re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 1:36am

Which one has the most belting?

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#13re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 1:39am

They both have belting, but for different vocal ranges. L5Y is pretty much a soprano and a tenor, while Songs for a New World has stuff that fits well in a mid-range voice (like mine re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World).

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

ashley0139
#14re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 7:29am

Both! But if you can really truly choose only one, The Last 5 Years. Beatiful, amazing, heartbreaking.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

ThunderCat8
#15re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 8:40am

I think Songs for a New World has better individual songs, but the Last 5 years has a better overall sound. If you want to listen to just 1 or 2 songs, get Songs for a New World. If you want to listen to the whole musical all the way through, get Last 5 years.

I do however think the Schmuel Song from L5Y is amazing on its own!

corsairstw Profile Photo
corsairstw
#16re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 10:06am

Last 5 Years. JRB's musical voice is more developed and the songs are better.

Along with the fact that it actually has a running story.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#17re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 10:40am

you honestly can't go wrong with either. if you are not familiar with him, I would say go with songs first, because that is his first recording, and it is more like a revue of great songs with awesome performers. get used to this cd, and see where he's coming from, then by last five years and see how much he improved when writing for character and story.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Lorelai Profile Photo
Lorelai
#18re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 10:52am

my vote is for L5Y...no doubt

(formerly bronte604) "You really just love money and power and capitalism? You know they're never going to love you back." "Things happen for the best...I don't even believe that myself."

Daniel2 Profile Photo
Daniel2
#19re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 1:08pm

I prefer Songs for a New World.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#20re: The Last Five Years or Songs for a New World
Posted: 1/23/06 at 1:20pm

for me, I cannot live without Last 5 Years. 'If I Didn't Believe in You' is my new favorite song. it is so....sort of romantic, but more...ugh, i don;t know. but if a guy sang that to me, i would melt.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

Videos