Favorite Underrated Actors!

#0Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 11:07am

Who do you admire who you feel is underrated? Here are mine.

Roberta Maxwell. This astonishingly natural actress works all the time and is well respected but I feel she should be considered one of the greats. Her range is limitless. I have seen her on stage several times. Her performance in an excellent play entitled ASHES that played The Public in the 1970's was especially brilliant. She is heartbreakingly beautiful as Jake Gyllenhaal's mother in Oscar front runner BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.
I also adore the wonderful actress/singer Ernestine Jackson who was superb as Ruth in RAISIN and as Sarah Brown in the 1976 revival of GUYS AND DOLLS.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#1re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 1:02pm

Peter Gallagher
A little off topic I know, but the man has been robbed 3 Emmy Nominations for The OC.

mint0621 Profile Photo
mint0621
#2re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 1:45pm

I looove Rick Lyons!

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#3re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 1:48pm

LISA BRESCIA

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

Dramatic_Irony
#4re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 2:14pm

You know, outside of broadway world, I think that prett much all stage actors are under-rated (except arguable Idina Menzal). But I definitely have to agree with the original poster- ROBERTA MAXWELL.

Grief does not expire like a candle or the beacon on a lighthouse. It simply changes temperature. -Nocturne

Chrysanthemum62001
#5re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 2:16pm

TODD CERVERIS.

Also, Jeffrey Carlson and I completely agree with who said Lesia Brescia.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

greeneyed_one Profile Photo
greeneyed_one
#6re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 2:18pm

In the movie world- Julianne Moore

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#7re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 2:37pm

I totally agree with Julianne Moore and would also like to say the same for Annette Bening...She is devine. Theatrically, I also feel that Julia Murney is underappreciated...She is also phenominal.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

#8re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 3:18pm

I left out the wonderful Maureen Moore. A great pro.
Updated On: 2/12/06 at 03:18 PM

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#9re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 3:44pm

I think Jen Cody is great and steals every scene!

greenifyed Profile Photo
greenifyed
#10re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 3:50pm

Lisa Brescia, and Kevin Cahoon.

"The tick BOOM tick BOOM is so loud I can't hear the rain on the grass. I can't hear the wind. I'm about to scream. But I realize I'm not alone."

FosseBoi
#11re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 3:54pm

Kelli O'Hera is VERY underrated. I think she was robbed a Tony for her AMAZING performance in PIAZZA.

I think Daphne Rubin-Vega is to, however thats based on her singing because I've never seen her act. But she has a VERY unique voice, so, imo, its understandable why some ppl dont care for her.

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line
Updated On: 2/12/06 at 03:54 PM

YankeeGal#24 Profile Photo
YankeeGal#24
#12re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 3:56pm

"I think I can call upcoming talent :)(yes, I am BRAGGING!!!)"

LOL--Nice crystal ball ddpruitt!! re: Favorite Underrated Actors!

"You ask four guys, you get four different versions" ~ Tommy DeVito, Jersey Boys

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#13re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 4:12pm

Sherie Rene Scott

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#14re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 4:31pm

Norm Lewis. True, he's had some minor-ish major roles, but he's such a good actor and phenominal singer that he should be originating roles on Broadway.

ashley0139
#15re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 4:47pm

For film/tv, Lauren Graham is a brilliant actress who has been robbed of every Emmy nomination since 2000. She has never received one. Her work not only in Gilmore Girls, but also in Seeing Other People, Bad Santa, Lucky 13, and others is amazing.

For stage, pretty much everyone. I wish stage actors got way more credit than they do.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Elizabeth_DeBris
#16re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 4:48pm

Mark Jacoby is a terrific actor, and while he's had lead/supporting roles on Broadway, I always feel like he's never gotten the recognition he deserves.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#17re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 5:14pm

Hunter Foster...he prob shoudlve been at least nominated for a Tony for Urinetown.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#18re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 6:23pm

Ditto for Jeffrey Carlson (I will never forget his portrayal of Marilynn for as long as I live).

And this could be because I haven't really kept up on the Jersey Boys threads (having just become obsessed with the show), but it seems to me that Daniel Reichard isn't getting nearly enough attention for his fabulous portrayal of Bob Gaudio. This man's voice is like butter melting on bread and consistently gives me multiple eargasms.

And Joyce Chittick, who's been getting some well deserved attention since Sweet Charity and Pajama Game.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

Broadwayluva Profile Photo
Broadwayluva
#19re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 6:29pm

Colin Hanlon and Robb Sapp

GatorFan
#20re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 6:53pm

I do not know if you would call her underrated, but Jayne Atkinson does not seem to get all the credit that she is due. While Cherry Jones is an exceptionally talented actress, it appears that she is number one on every producer/director's list for choice theatrical parts. It is a shame that Jayne is not on Broadway that often, she was fantastic in Rainmaker and Enchanted April, not to mention Stryker. Maybe it is her choice (role on 24), but if not, lets get this woman back on Broadway very soon

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#21re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 6:55pm

Girls: Tina Maddigan
Boys: Tyler Hanes

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 2/12/06 at 06:55 PM

broadwaygiant19122 Profile Photo
broadwaygiant19122
#22re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 7:02pm

I completely agree with Julianne Moore and Annette Bening. Part of me wants to say Marc Kudisch...although he never seems to be out of work, im just waiting for him to get "THE" role which will let people know what he's got.

#23re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 7:45pm

GatorFan - I can't believe I didn't think of Jayne Atkinson! I saw her in ALL MY SONS and HENRY VIII and she was great. I do feel she's underrrated. She is one of the best.

Doogie Profile Photo
Doogie
#24re: Favorite Underrated Actors!
Posted: 2/12/06 at 8:48pm

Elena Shaddow
Linda Mugleston
Emily Skinner (just because she really should be the biggest star in the world)

Videos